• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahelmore
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Website review

This is beng submitted for your review, critique and comments. www.kneemanbarkus.com. I'm aware of some page shifts and possible other defects but will use your comments as a check list and am also interested in additions that may be suggested. The most difficult effort for me was the integration of PayPal but I think it is workable now. I've read of objections to music but the lady whose picture shows up on "about us" is serious about it remaining. The design is primarily hers.

We hope the intent of the site is clear without further description to you here so look forward to your comments and ideas.

Thank you very much for you continuing assistance.

AHE
  • SAman
    Major General

• Mar 2007

Re: Website review

Hey AHE,
    You have done very well. Nice site. One thing, you might want to look at the info at the bottom of one of Bethers posts. She has some great info on S.E.'s and stores. To get the traffic you need to think of what people would type in the S.E.'s to find this kind of product. Over all it looks very good. Good Luck!!
    Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

• ahelmore
      Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Thank you SAman for the encouraging remarks. I've aligned the buttons so they do not jump from page to page as earlier recommended and am studying some of Bether's suggestions. Any further comments from others would be welcomed since I'll be advertising the new site to potential customers this coming weekend at a local craft show.

AHE

Comment

• SStephenson
        Sergeant First Class

• Feb 2007

On your contact us page, make your email address a link. Just select the text, click the link button and choose a mailto link> enter your email address and a customer can click the link to send you an email.
        Scott

Turn your Sentimental photos into Canvas Art!
        www.canvasappeal.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by SStephenson View Post
          On your contact us page, make your email address a link. Just select the text, click the link button and choose a mailto link> enter your email address and a customer can click the link to send you an email.
          Using a transparent box creates an "orphaned object" and will count against your SE rank metrics.

Using an "invisible" single period (a period in a text box colored exactly the same as the underlaying page with transparent background to the textbox), however, will not, and is a preferred method of 'anchoring' the bottom of a page when using Blue Voda to provide a more suitable "bottom page margin" --- if that is an issue at all....

Scott --- Please STOP suggesting this across the forum!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• ahelmore
            Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Vasili: I do not understand the response to Scott's comment. Does it have anything to do with the email link issue? Pls explain a little bit because I don't want to affect the SE's.
            AHE

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by ahelmore View Post
              Vasili: I do not understand the response to Scott's comment. Does it have anything to do with the email link issue? Pls explain a little bit because I don't want to affect the SE's.
              AHE
              Yes.
              The suggestion he was repeating in many threads is not a valid one, and was probably more more enthusiasm than sound web-building....

It is not recommended to simply use the simplest "email" methods (hyperlinking text as "mailto:") which leaves not only your address to be scoured and re-distributed to God knows how many spammers, but relies on the Outlook/Express email utility to send the emails, and many people do not use either (or realize they have to open it to send it -- IF it has been set up to begin with!).

For the minimum "upgrade" best practice in creating a simple "Email Contact Function" (Form) that dispels these concerns by providing an email utility built-in to your website for direct sending (and security thereby), please view this Tutorial.

Comment

• ahelmore
                Sergeant

• Jan 2008

I've had enough problems getting this far. I sure don't need to create more. I've read the tutorials you suggested but am not comfortable with it sufficiently to make the change. I can be contacted as it exists and may make the change later.

Thank you
                AHE

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Ce le vie!

Please do not discount the importance of the distinction between the different methods, nor retreat unnecessarily to a position of ill-confidence now that you have reached this obvious milestone in your success in web building! Maybe keep it in mind as a short project for a weekend??

Comment

• whiteshepherd
                    Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                    Yes.
                    The suggestion he was repeating in many threads is not a valid one, and was probably more more enthusiasm than sound web-building....

It is not recommended to simply use the simplest "email" methods (hyperlinking text as "mailto:") which leaves not only your address to be scoured and re-distributed to God knows how many spammers, but relies on the Outlook/Express email utility to send the emails, and many people do not use either (or realize they have to open it to send it -- IF it has been set up to begin with!).

For the minimum "upgrade" best practice in creating a simple "Email Contact Function" (Form) that dispels these concerns by providing an email utility built-in to your website for direct sending (and security thereby), please view this Tutorial.
                    well you learn something new every day ... thank you Vasili ... I just recently learned how to do a basic form ... will now go and fix that detail on all my websites ...

Hi abelmore ... do not be scared to try this ... it is actually extremely easy ... I just recently had a go and it worked perfectly when following the tutorials ...

I like your website but I suggest giving all your pages an unique name rather than just home or about us ... Something like Find out about Kneeman Barkus Dog Bakery ... etc this helps the search engines find you ..

keep up the good work ...
                    kym, merlin & tala
                    creating white majick
                    www.whiteshepherds.com.au
                    www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
                    www.merlinsmajick.com
                    www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by whiteshepherd View Post
                      well you learn something new every day ... thank you Vasili ...
                      Thank You!
                      Just "paying forward" as was taught by General Racefan20...

Am I behind in doing something for you, Kym, or is it somebody else I am spazzing on???

Comment

• whiteshepherd
                        Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                        Thank You!
                        Just "paying forward" as was taught by General Racefan20...

Am I behind in doing something for you, Kym, or is it somebody else I am spazzing on???
                        no ... lol
                        kym, merlin & tala
                        creating white majick
                        www.whiteshepherds.com.au
                        www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
                        www.merlinsmajick.com
                        www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

• ahelmore
                          Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Thanks for the latest help and comments on my website. You've given me some new ideas and also some challenges that I will soon be trying. I feel pretty good that I must be doing something right to get input on some small issues that can make big differences. I plan to add a new page to show pics of our new doggie customers and their people. It should be easier for me now.

AHE

Comment

Working...
                          X