• Show
Clear All

• I haven't done this yet

Is this site worthy?

Re: I haven't done this yet

Originally posted by detailer View Post
    First question - worthy of what?

Here are a couple of thoughts for starters:

The first page is white, and very plain.

Once the disclaimer is met and I got onto the meat of the site, the contrast in style was startling.

I am not a fan of black backgrounds; I find it hard to read the white text and especially the blue text.

Also, you have used different fonts. I would stick to one, probably Arial or any other web friendly sans font, as they are the easiest to read.

The style you use on the sidebar is very different from the style in the body of the pages, and they do not sit easily with each other.

The Zion's Advocate page looks to be a picture of a paper publication? Whatever it is, it is hard to read the text over the image..

On the resources page, it isn't clear why you have all the info on the Book of Mormon.. are these current lessons ? You might want to make these boxes smaller, so that they are delineated somehow fro the three boxes at the top of that page..

Videos page has all the titles in blue - again, really hard to read on the black background.

Finally, the links page is placed on white, a welcome change, but the edges are black? Seems odd. Though I must say, I find the white much easier to see, and the links are much nicer.

All in all, you have a good start, but I would put some thought into changing the background to a lighter and much more calm color than black, and keeping your color choices much more simple and less contrasting.

Here is a link that might help with color choices. On this site, you pick a base color and it will help you find complimentary colors.

Good start

Good Luck!
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

hi ... I think your front page is a good start ... I concur with Liz and her comments ... your page sizes are all over the place as well ... keep up the good work ...
      kym, merlin & tala
      creating white majick
      www.whiteshepherds.com.au
      www.unitedwhiteshepherds.com.au
      www.merlinsmajick.com
      www.kymdunbar.com

Comment

Hi

Download firefox & preview your site through it as well as through IE - then adjust your spacings so that they look good in bpth browsers

I actually like the black background!

Pete

Comment

Okay, thank you for your several critiques.
          Larazovich, I am not willing to let the black background go. I like it and I am online a lot at night. This way it is easier on your eyes.
          I am not sure about side bar style vs. the body of pages. If there was any style it was an accident.
          The advocate is a picture of a publication and is updated every two months. It is really just a big button that links you to the PDF where the text is much clearer. So again I think that has to stay because it is a lot better looking than a hyper link.
          Thankyou for your ideas about the resources page. I agree that that needs to be worked over and revamped. Some of the items will just go under the tabs A-Z. The other two I will keep with the B of M because they kind of go with it but I need some kind of explanation why these are here.

I will try other Hyper Link colors so that it isn't blue on black.

Comment

Whitesheppherd,
            How did that happen? How do I fix it I thought they were all about the same? What is the suggested size?

Comment

Pete146
              firefox is messing with my website eh, I'll check it out thanks.

Comment

Hi,
                • The mix of font types, colours and sizes on your home page makes for a difficult read.
                • When saving your pages remove the spaces between words (_) and this will get rid of the %20's 'www.example.com/page%20name%20here.html'
                • Consider offering the 'sound off' option for the background music on your links page.
                Cheers,
                Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
                Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
                Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
                BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

Thanks play it, I made a few changes and I got rid of the sound entirely, I was getting tired of it anyway.

Comment

Hi,
                    I personally prefer white or pastel backgrounds, but for consistency If you decide on black stay with black on all your pages

Comment

Working...
                    X