Hi all,

Any comments would be appreciated

www.hvbandb.co.uk
  • philipc9635
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Jul 2006

Re: Mt first site - quite proud!

Hey Great Start Simon

I think the Google Adsense detracts a little bit from what your main theme is and that is your B&B.

I would consider using smaller adsense links and placing them slightly further down the page. You want people to remain on your site for a short time and not leave straight away because they click on other ads.

You should try and keep the Ads and banners within the width of the template to keep it looking professional.

I think your template is looking good.
    Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

• jkadin
      Brigadier General

• Jan 2008

Very nice site one problem that see is on your home page theres a lot of empty space which is caused by a element further down the page which nees to be removed.
      sigpicJoe
      Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
      The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

• simon@hvs-uk.com
        Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

Phil, thanks for the suggestions. I have moved the ads but not re-sized them. I will get around to that soon but it looks better already. I may just redesign the whole site now that I have got past the first stage!

Joe - I was aware of the rogue element, I just dont know how to get rid of it! It is related to the sitemap setup with Google so I just moved it out of the way. I cant delete it but there must be some script missing or something. Any suggestions?

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Nicely done Simon for a first timer.

You could add more write ups to keep your visitors attention.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• philipc9635
            Lieutenant Colonel

• Jul 2006

Hey Simon

Moving the adsense made an immediate improvement.

You may have pasted the sitemap html in the wrong location?
            Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

• simon@hvs-uk.com
              Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

thanks Phil, now that I have got over the first hurdle, I am doing a re-design of the site taking abord the lessons learnt so far. Should be up by this evening. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

• Pickels
                Sergeant First Class

• May 2008

Hi..nice job nice and simple..however you have text overlapping itself all over the place.. your ad sense ads are also overlapping your text.. I am using firefox so you may want to take another look.

Cheers,

Comment

• simon@hvs-uk.com
                  Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

I have now got the Mk11 version up - naturally think it's better but your comments would be greatly appreciated. I dont see any overlapping text Firefox - thanks for the alert.

Comment

• vidalcarmen
                    First Lieutenant

• Dec 2007

Nice, but you might want to make your logo a little more creative.
                    -Zachary
                    www.pebblecrossing.com
                    Earn While you Search the Web!

Comment

• judavvforum
                      Major

• Nov 2007

Off to a real good start, Simon!
                      I happen to be one of those types that want everything in alignment, so of course this is just my likes. I would extend your header Text out to one line. That would just about make it the same length as your NavBar. Thus looking more organized, IMO!

Also, I would center it in the browser.

Comment

• Marincky
                        General

• Apr 2006

I think I preferred the first look to be honest. You need to deal with the following issues though:

1) Remove the google verification code at the bottom of the home page. This is not the way to verify your site with them

2) You need some better text content on your home page and you need to concentrate now on your meta data (page titles, keywords, page descriptions)

3) Remove the underscore between 'rates' and 'references' in your link menu.

4) If this is your only website weigh up the benefits of having Google Adsense on your pages as opposed to concentrating on giving your potential visitors to your site a more pleasing and encouraging experience. (You are unlikely to get enough revenue from a site of this nature for Google to even bother sending you your earnings)

5) Centre your website so it appears in the middle no matter what screen size it is viewed from.

6) Your local info page could be utalized to draw more people to your bed and breakfast. I lived near Newcastle for a couple of years and spent a fraction of that time driving tourists around in a coach. There are some real close by beauty spots and places of interest you could use as references.

7) Your Google map is a bit 'worthless' from that far out... It shows the A1. Having driven up the A1 (The longest road in England) every day for several years from London to Scotland, showing a 2 or 3 mile stretch of it seems a bit pointless. Go back to Google maps and get a more zoomed in map.

Just my opinions.. hope you may find some or all to be of use to you.
                        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• vidalcarmen
                          First Lieutenant

• Dec 2007

Um... Your page is titled 'Untitled'.
                          -Zachary
                          www.pebblecrossing.com
                          Earn While you Search the Web!

Comment

• simon@hvs-uk.com
                            Sergeant First Class

• Jun 2008

Some very good points and many thanks.
                            On a tchnical matter - I have pasted the google code into an html box but it still appears on the page - I just don't know how to get rid of it.

This site (and the adsense content) is a precursor to a more ambitious site so in a way, this is a practice run. Our B&B is a small add on producing a bit of spare income. No reason to not get things right and I will take on board all that you have said.

Things like the map, local content and layout, page titles, centering are important contributions - I will fix it all! Really, many thanks for your input

Comment

• cathrn
                              Second Lieutenant

• May 2008

Hi, Looks like a great place. More text will help search engines find you, use keywords in the copy that people would use to find your place. Also pages are still not centered. The place is so charming, but a photo from the other end of the property showing the front door instead of the garage and car would give more of a 'quaint' feeling. Also the logo needs some improvement, but overall, it looks like a great place to stay so you conveyed that well. Good luck to you.
                              All the best
                              Catherine
                              www.catherinebuchanan.com

Comment

Working...
                              X