• Jul 2008

golly1

new vodahost
    would you please review my first website @ www.sodaowls.com
  • jkadin
    Brigadier General

• Jan 2008

Re: golly1

Nice looking site theres a couple of tweaks on your menu bar change index to home not the url that does not have to be changed. Have your pages open in the same window. Also try to put keyword phases on your page titles. Your off to a good start.
    sigpicJoe
    Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

• Sunchaser
      First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Hi

Looks nice!

I noticed that if you click on 'gallery' from your 'info' page - there's a typo in the .html:

You've done a great job with your site.

Comment

• CarbonTerry
        Major General

• Oct 2005

The "index" button should read "Home" or something like that. Some will be confused by "index".
        The title (not name) of your page is not Index ! It should be a descriptive phrase of the content of the page. i.e. Sheffield Owls Disabled Association
        excuse the bold font caused by copy/paste.
        The link to the outside web page should be set to _blank in the Hyperlink Properties window.
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

• Takwa
          Private First Class

• Apr 2008

hmmm.... you are getting very similar to SWFC's homepage....
          anyway i was shocked by the bright blue full page every time i load, is there a way of getting rid of that flash of bright blue when the page loads?
          Air Hostess Info Balloon Models WineStar Bikini Soccer Domain Geo China Medal Traffic4U

Comment

• golly1
            First Sergeant

• Jul 2008

thankyou for your comments much appreciated what do you mean open in same window sorry new to it and how do you do it thankyou for all your help

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Not really enough to comment on ..... easier to see things more settled and a style emerge.

I DO agree (personally) that the colors are too bold for this genre of site. Thinking that the high contrast between pages and backgrounds helps to give import to Content does not hold true, especially when the colors create a "discomforting" or "loud" theme....IMO
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Sunchaser
                First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Hi

Regarding having pages open in the same window - all your pages are already opening in the same window - which is good :)

If a page opens in a new window - another browser window opens up, and there will be no 'back' button enabled on your browser. For example, if you click on the link to your website that you posted in your first post - it opens in a new window. You can't can't use the 'back' button to go back to the VH forums.

Often, people will have all (or most) of the pages in their website open in the same window, and have pages that link to another website open in a new window.
                Although - many web professionals would say that best practice is to have all pages open in the same window - even if a link on your site is going to another website. It's meant to be bad etiquette to 'break' a web user's back button by making a link open in a new window.

In Blue Voda - when you want a link to open in the same window, don't choose anything in the 'target' field -leave it blank (or choose 'Self').
                If you want your link to open a new browser window, then choose '_blank'.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Sunchaser View Post
                  Although - many web professionals would say that best practice is to have all pages open in the same window - even if a link on your site is going to another website. It's meant to be bad etiquette to 'break' a web user's back button by making a link open in a new window.
                  Disagree, and would like to be informed at which "professional" have declared such a standard "etiquette" supercede standard protocol and practice.

New browsers are quite called for when the function itself presents the logical link: as in visiting a secured area of a site, a blog or other community, or even a "closed loop" step like a transaction or form to fill out. There are many, many instances when a new browser is most logical, allowing the originating page to remain under the current focus page, and although it is preferred to maintain continuty of the User experience overall, so-called etiquette takes back seat to Perfect Page and Best Practice web design.

True, many new to web building (thanks to the ease of using Blue Voda) often take a less than thoughtful tack when creating their navigation intially, and opt to use the new browser style formatting, but this is usually corrected upon Peer Review --- with consideration given to functional need.

Besides, any designer worth his salt knows that providing a "Close Window" option is not nearly as difficult as believed, and such forethought illustrates a professional dedication to the overall User expereince!

New browser links/navigation is most effective when used properly, and follows the same logical developments as any other applied computer science, differing from opinion and common beliefs entirely!

I think you should provide more defined sources or personal demonstration of design expertise for the techniques or axioms you are quick to proclaim before posting them in our forums, so they are not absorbed ipso facto ignoratum. Personally.

Comment

• Sunchaser
                    First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Disagree, and would like to be informed at which "professional" have declared such a standard "etiquette" supercede standard protocol and practice.
                    This guy for one.
                    Biography: Jakob Nielsen, Ph.D., is a usability advocate and retired principal of the Nielsen Norman Group: User Experience Research, Training, and Consulting.

New browsers are quite called for when the function itself presents the logical link: as in visiting a secured area of a site, a blog or other community, or even a "closed loop" step like a transaction or form to fill out.
                    Definitely.
                    There are circumstances where it's best to have a page open in a new window. Another example is a large file that might take a long time to load.
                    In the context of a site such as the one being reviewed here - having all pages open in the same window is reasonable.

I think you should provide more defined sources or personal demonstration of design expertise for the techniques or axioms you are quick to proclaim before posting them in our forums, so they are not absorbed ipso facto ignoratum. Personally.

Top 10 mistakes in web design

9. "Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet.....
                    Designers open new browser windows on the theory that it keeps users on their site. But even disregarding the user-hostile message implied in taking over the user's machine, the strategy is self-defeating since it disables the Back button which is the normal way users return to previous sites."
                    Jakob Nielsen
                    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

( Golly1 - Sorry that we're hijacking your review thread with this discussion :)
                    And by the way, I personally have pages that link to other sites open in a new browser window. This annoys some web users though, and as I mentioned before - many web professionals would say not to do it. (In the context of the type of web pages we're speaking of.) )

Comment

• karenwms63
                      Colonel

• Feb 2008

Top 10 mistakes in web design

9. "Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet.....
                      Designers open new browser windows on the theory that it keeps users on their site. But even disregarding the user-hostile message implied in taking over the user's machine, the strategy is self-defeating since it disables the Back button which is the normal way users return to previous sites."
                      Jakob Nielsen
                      This is about disabling the browser navigation...the back button...Not about whether or not to have your pages open in the same or new window.

There are just as many reasons to use new window as there are not to use new window. It should be decided by what is the best for your visitor's experience.

My personal standard is: my site...same window, another site...another window....My opinion....
                      Karen Williams
                      Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Doesn't seem to matter, Karen .... my post was not read carefully before replied to. Pretty much what I lastly referred to: another case of absorbing info on the web without a deeper understanding or practical experience to differentiate opinion from practice.

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                        New browsers are quite called for when the function itself presents the logical link: as in visiting a secured area of a site, a blog or other community, or even a "closed loop" step like a transaction or form to fill out. There are many, many instances when a new browser is most logical, allowing the originating page to remain under the current focus page, and although it is preferred to maintain continuty of the User experience overall, so-called etiquette takes back seat to Perfect Page and Best Practice web design.
                        True, many new to web building (thanks to the ease of using Blue Voda) often take a less than thoughtful tack when creating their navigation intially, and opt to use the new browser style formatting, but this is usually corrected upon Peer Review --- with consideration given to functional need.
                        Besides, any designer worth his salt knows that providing a "Close Window" option is not nearly as difficult as believed, and such forethought illustrates a professional dedication to the overall User expereince!

New browser links/navigation is most effective when used properly, and follows the same logical developments as any other applied computer science, differing from opinion and common beliefs entirely!
                        That is why it is a good thing there are so many choices available on the net and our Community: diversity allows freedom of direction and a wonderful means of collecting inspiration (especially when seeing the fruits of of our peer's labors)!

Comment

• rangaz007
                          First Lieutenant

• Jun 2008

Hi

Looks very good mate.
                          Only thing is the blue background does kind of hit you in the face first time round lol, but otherwise a cool looking site, well done !
                          www.psnutrition.co.uk
                          Nutrition & Weight Management Spe******ts

Comment

• Sunchaser
                            First Lieutenant

• Nov 2007

Hi Karen
                            You said:

This is about disabling the browser navigation...the back button...Not about whether or not to have your pages open in the same or new window.
                            It's about both. Jakob Nielsen considers it 'user-hostile' to force new browser windows. The part in bold type in that quote was put in bold by him, not by me.
                            I totally agree that it's up to you and what's best for your web visitors what you do with your web pages.

Vasili
                            You said:
                            .....another case of absorbing info on the web without a deeper understanding or practical experience to differentiate opinion from practice.
                            I was not giving my opinion in saying that many web professionals consider that it's best not to open new browser windows. If many web experts do say this, then they do say this.
                            Whether I, you, or anyone else disagrees that many web experts say this is immaterial. Regardless, they're out there saying it.
                            (Again, we're talking in the context of general web pages.)

It's a shame this discussion opened up here in someone's review thread! It's an interesting discussion.

Here are some more links to some information:

(The W3C ettiquette is that you should warn web users if a page is going to open in a new window.)

Comment

• golly1
                              First Sergeant

• Jul 2008

feedback

could you please give me some feedback please

Comment

Working...
                              X