• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve horbach
    Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Re: Please rate my site

Chris, thanks for the info. I went over the site in firefox and found a couple things that had to be changed. I apreciate you taking the time to give a look.
    btw your site looks great!

Comment

• Muzza
      Captain

• Aug 2008

This page http://www.handymanbrooklynrenovation.com/payfor.php has spelling wrong for "I am interested in". I'd also do a bit of tweaking with your checkboxes and descriptions under that heading. I know it's really fiddly but in Firefox they are staggered a bit - look like a bunch of drunks in a line. Great effort though, looks heaps better.
      www.ArlineFishingCharter.co.nz
      www.NewZealandFishingCharter.com
      www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• steve horbach
        Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Thanks again Muzza I apreciate you taking the time to be fiddly as you put it. I am going to be paying for hard ads in the papper starting november and already have flyers and posters made up so I want to have the site tweaked and looking good by then. Your help as well as everyone else who takes the time to look and give there feedback has helped me out a great deal. I look at the site now and it is way better than when I put it here to get ideas thanks to all the input from this forum.

Comment

• Muzza
          Captain

• Aug 2008

Steves Painting Sevice needs an "r" on your homepage i.e. Service

Just one thought to leave you with. When I see blue on a white background and then see words with yellow highlighter I think "Spammer".

I don't know what other people think but I tend to try a different colour when I'm trying to highlight some text I want people to see. I avoid the yellow highlighter at all costs.

It's only one persons opinion but I thought I'd point it out
          www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• steve horbach
            Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Muzza thanks for the spell check again. If you happen to look back, what do you think of the way I used on the hame page instead of the highlight ? I have seen this done before and am not sure if I like it or not. any feedback would be appreciated

Comment

• Victory1
              Sergeant

• Sep 2008

Under the featured ad section I can see Cost $ 15 per month.
              In my opinion there is too much white space at the top (nice graphics though). The menu font is too small compared to the rest of the site. Plus in your ad section you may want to use a BlueVoda affiliate link (see http://www.vodahost.com/partner/idev...e.php?id=11704 ) and use the VodaHost or BlueVoda logo in your ad box. Then if someone clicks to set up their own website, you make $ 60 or $70 from each one who signs up with Voda. I like your rotating ad box a lot. I don't like the page layout though. You might want to offer do it yourself home improvement ideas. With winter coming you could show adding weather stripping to windows & doors, talk to your local home & garden center to see if they put a coupon on your website then use their name in your meta tags.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• steve horbach
                Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Thank you for taking the time to see my site Victory1

Comment

• Muzza
                  Captain

• Aug 2008

I think it looks better than the highlighter but I would keep the font the same size as the rest of the text to keep it all lined up. At the moment you have your blue text on one line then half a line down you have brown text.

In Firefox it looks a little bit strange.

In Opera it looks weird. Both places where you have brown text disappear until you place the mouse over the top. So you have to mouse over very carefully before you can read it. However I also notice that you have scrolling text in your header.

In Firefox the scrolling doesn't work
                  www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• steve horbach
                    Sergeant

• Sep 2007

ok I reworked my site with advise i received and I hope it loos better . any feedback is wellcome!

Comment

• Muzza
                      Captain

• Aug 2008

What a huge improvement, you should be feeling very pleased.

Just a couple of things, Your menu needs white lettering or similar. Black on dark blue is hard to see and someone with poor eyesight may not see it at all.

Also are you aware that the link for "Steves Painting" just takes you to the home page?
                      www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• Muzza
                        Captain

• Aug 2008

Checking a bit further. You are not getting the effects you want in Firefox. You get it in Safari and probably IE but anything that flashes or scrolls is remaining static in Firefox. That's a wee problem. People may say "well Firefox sucks" but going through my google reporting, Firefox customers make up a third of my viewers. So you need to cater for them or lose 33% of your potentail audience.

I'd suggest that you download a copy of Firefox so that you can check how other see your website. I've just recently downloaded Safari and Opera so now I can check using those two, plus Firefox and IE.
                        www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• steve horbach
                          Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Thanks Muzza you are being of great help to me! Again you were spot on with the menu bar I swiched it to white text links , I think they go better with the art work links under them anyhow as they have white. I now need to dig into the php style sheet on noah's and change thos to white. I have firfox and in mine everything works and is showing? do we have dif versions? what exactly isnt working on firefox when you look? I am betting the scroll by where is says "seving the 5 boros" and does it just not show that? The link to steve's painting is working bot on ie and firefox on mine coule you check again for me in yours? I realy do apreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Comment

• Muzza
                            Captain

• Aug 2008

Sorry Steve, I've been a twit. I have Firefox3 but I am also using "NoScript" which was treating your site as untrusted. Therefore anything involving scripts wasn't working properly. Once I marked your site as trusted, everything worked properly. All the scrolling text and revolving adverts...everything.

One last thing - the note at the bottom of your page asking people not to Post for contractors not on your site looks mile better. But it only appears when I place my cursor on some of the blue text on your page and disappears when I move the cursor anywhere else. It's a different way of attracting attention to it but it's also possible that people will not see it if they have the cursor in the wrong place.
                            www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

• steve horbach
                              Sergeant

• Sep 2007

Thank Muzza you have been tons of help. I think site is about ready besides a few little touch ups here and there thanks to the feedback from everyone.

Thanks to All,
                              Steve

Comment

• germansin
                                Colonel

• Jul 2008

Originally posted by steve horbach View Post
                                Thank Muzza you have been tons of help. I think site is about ready besides a few little touch ups here and there thanks to the feedback from everyone.

Thanks to All,
                                Steve
                                www.myhomeneedshelp.com
                                Hello
                                When I clicked on "Carroll Gardens Handyman Service" I went to their site but I was not able to come back to yours from there. Was it the idea?
                                German
                                German
                                www.alfil-sa.com

Comment

Working...
                                X