• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazeycane
    Sergeant

• Aug 2008

Need objective criticsm on new website

No where near finished but if you can take a look and tell me what you think so far I would greatly appreciate. Any criticism good or bad. TY
    penniesperplay.com

• Karen Mac
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Need objective criticsm on new website

I think you need to finish more of it before anyone can honestly say, because i cant tell if you are trying to be a professional website builder or just blog your info of your experiences. I think the first is your goal and personally I think it needs alot of work. Your logo alos is very hard to read and i really cant tell that its penniesperplay dot com or whatever it is...and... i wouldnt expect WEBSITE designer to be pennies per play.. more like a gambling site etc or a game site.

Also.. if the first objective is your goal.. i would have expected much more professionalism, like a mostly finished site up and going rather than we tell you how to fix it so you can get paid thing..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Marincky
      General

• Apr 2006

I don't really know what to say to be honest, to be able to review a site, personally I have to understand it, but I just don't understand what I am looking at. As Karen mentions, are you saying you will build sites, or are you just giving people your experiences? What is the purpose of the site?

Quite a few spelling and grammatical errors, layout is not uniform from page to page, one minute I am looking at white text on brown, then black text on white... lots of bumping around from page to page, logo is awful (Never stretch or squash an image, it just loses it's clarity).

'Site desicned with BlueVoda Site Builder' should be 'designed'

I don't think you should really ask for a review on a site that is so unfinished, unless you are specifically asking for maybe a review on say for example a template of the site before you continue. I also feel some of your advice can be very misleading too and in some cases is not really correct.

Sorry, but you asked for a review good or bad.
      Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• Adrian Hughes
        Sergeant

• May 2008

Maybe i'm not 'qualified' to make any comments here, but as a new boy on the block I've spend many hours discovering what BV a capable of and some of the effects and gizmos are fun !.... but I soon realised nothing is as important as getting the 'Content' on the page over to your webspage viewer in a simple and friendly to read way.

Personally I stayed on ONE page till I got the header/graphics right and the navigation working properly (even if it went to pages that I not made yet) when I was happy with the 'feel' and colours of that first page, I cloned it into some of the other pages saving time not having to build everything on page 2, 3, 4 etc from scratch.

you can cut and replace text on the 'cloned' page after you rename it and it meant my site grew quite quicky carrying over the 'feel' from one page to the next.

Bottom line is, don't rush ahead until you get your page layout nice and consistant, now I know that wont work with EVERY website, but for what I think youre doing on this one, it would look nicer.

Adrian
        Adrian Hughes
        ---------------------------------
        www.letsplanyourwedding.co.uk
        The 'Local' Wedding Planning Website

Comment

• crazeycane
          Sergeant

• Aug 2008

Sorry about the logo. I have a different 1 with dreamweaver. Didnt put it up yet cause there is some more tweeking to do to it. Havent decided on a color scheme as of yet but the only different color is in the index page, eventually this site will be linking to other sites of mine. Penniesplay.com is a gaming site that I will be building eventually and this was my first goal when i first signed on with blue voda but the site have taken a turn in a differentdirection. Another registerd domain will be given once the site is finished. Im a little more concerned with the design. Dont really understand how its not uniformed sice Im using the same template over, the pages may get a little longer but thats about it. New to using BlueVoda, the site building tools are a little different than what Im use to but getting better than when I first started. The one thing I didnt understand is the incorrect and misleading info. What would that be Marincky?

Comment

• crazeycane
            Sergeant

• Aug 2008

Anyone viewing the site new or vet, all criticsm is welcomed and appreciated

Comment

• DCOFFICESERVICES
              Special Status

• Oct 2007

Hello

This has been said already but it is difficult to review a site when it is nowhere finished. I will however comment on the home page.

1. Your logo, top left corner, I am sorry to say looks terrible, all scrunched up. If you are promoting website building, you must do something better.

2. Google & glossery drop downs in top right corner don't work.

3. Your link buttons in the centre are better suited to a white background.

I don't know what else to say because there is nothing else to look at, as many of the links don't work.

Good luck

Darren

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

A lot, and I suspect most of your text content has been copied from other websites, it doesn't take much to work this out. This leads me to wonder if this is YOUR experiences as you put it, or maybe someone elses?...

Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• crazeycane
                  Sergeant

• Aug 2008

Only content that is copied is the html graph and things to know about the Domainand that was with permission from the owners as long as I link to one and the othe as long as i dont change the content. Criticsm appreciated character assasination isnt.

Comment

• Karen Mac
                    General

• Apr 2006

I suspect MOST of the content there is plagarized, I didnt go look but I bet you could google a line or two and find it all. Duplicate content and FLAT stealing from another site only harms yourself. If you dont know enough about your subject to WRITE it yourself.. then dont bother adding it. Is this supposed to be a site about WHAT NOT TO DO?

Edit.. HOW CAN YOU DENY? The link is right there line for line word for word? Do you think we arent savvy enough to know what we have seen and read? Wanna take bets that we cant find MORE? You assassinate your own character by putting up sites like this and expecting the sheep to follow blindly along. You wanted a review and criticism.. and now you have one.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Marincky
                      General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                      I suspect MOST of the content there is plagarized, I didnt go look but I bet you could google a line or two and find it all. Duplicate content and FLAT stealing from another site only harms yourself. If you dont know enough about your subject to WRITE it yourself.. then dont bother adding it. Is this supposed to be a site about WHAT NOT TO DO?

Karen
                      Karen, I have done just that, with three pages so far I can find on other websites.

Comment

• DCOFFICESERVICES
                        Special Status

• Oct 2007

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post

Karen

Karen that is an ineresting point and sorry to gate crash here a little bit but I have people who advertise on my site and I have given them a profile page. On these pages I have copied text from their websites.

eg http://www.kindoffice.co.uk/harris.php

Would this also be harmful to my site?

Darren

Comment

• Marincky
                          General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by DCOFFICESERVICES View Post
                          Karen that is an ineresting point and sorry to gate crash here a little bit but I have people who advertise on my site and I have given them a profile page. On these pages I have copied text from their websites.

eg http://www.kindoffice.co.uk/harris.php

Would this also be harmful to my site?

Darren
                          Darren, Most of my wedding directory is copied text in a way, as it's full of advertisments for other websites and usually the three or four lines they give me to place on my site as their feature is normally clipped from exact text on their sites, but Google have me ranked as the 4th most highest ranked site under 'wedding directory' in a world search, so it hasn't done me any harm.

Comment

• DCOFFICESERVICES
                            Special Status

• Oct 2007

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                            Darren, Most of my wedding directory is copied text in a way, as it's full of advertisments for other websites and usually the three or four lines they give me to place on my site as their feature is normally clipped from exact text on their sites, but Google have me ranked as the 4th most highes ranked site under 'wedding directory' in a world search, so it hasn't done me any harm.
                            Thanks.... phew!!

Comment

• Marincky
                              General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by DCOFFICESERVICES View Post
                              Thanks.... phew!!
                              I didn't say if it was ok LOL, but it hasn't effected my site in four years so.... But this far different to what we are talking about above.

Comment

Working...
                              X