• Show
Clear All
  • dj-santiago
    First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

Re: Wexford DJ Site

Originally posted by Paulk2 View Post
    Hi DJ,

I'l start by saying in general I liked your site. Very nicely done and attractive to your potential audience. I do however want to mention IMHO that I, looking at it from a potential client's view, felt that the utube video part was unnecessary. I believe you would want your audience reading through your site to see what you have to offer rather than looking at videos. I personally found it distracting once I clicked on it. Again, this is just my opinion. Others may like it.
    One other thing that puzzled me... You currently have a Christmas theme on your site. Does this mean you will be changing your site for each major holiday? My apology if this had already been covered in your previous site attempt.
    Hi there Paul. yeah thanks for that. I am in process of minimise the number of vids and maybe have them catergorised (still working on it though). I thought about maybe having the text before the vids perhaps too. And Yes, i am trying to keep it themed to some extent. (don't worry i won't be asking for reviews of my site for Each holiday). lol.

thanks
    Dj Cam

www.wexforddj.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by dj-santiago View Post
      Hi guys please review my revamped site. looking for new inspiration, so any views however negative, i will take on board.
      Originally posted by dj-santiago View Post
      I'm still quite happy to take any comments on the board, as i have in past
      to benefit to my site.
      You can't have your cake and eat it too! .....

With regard to Music videos on your site, and any possible legality? There is no difference between embedding a YouTube video and posting one of your own, inasmuch as they both create the relationship between you the Publisher of the website and the USE (authorized or not) of the video and the promotion thereof.
      YouTube has a whole squad that daily scours all the postings to make sure they comply with rights and use terms, especially when there are potential issues of revenue on a previously Copyrighted piece (ASCAP).... and that bears to burden to the Source of such items, questioning whether or not they are bootlegged or copied/distributed without authorization. Most commoners assume that since the videos in question have the YouTube watermark that they are "proven" safe to re-distribute or fall into a loosely defined "Public Domain" category: not true, but they do in fact help to confer liability to YouTube as "Source" only. You can still be held liable for damages or lost profiability as Site Publisher (promotor, distributor ... as in "re-broadcast or source of un-licensed viewing").

The real issue for common Publishers has always been not so much about Piracy or Legality (although it is paramount to the industry), but about the technical liabilities, specifically band. It has always been favored to rely on YouTube's band and not the allotment of each individual hosting account. VodaHost provides such an awesome monthly allotment that I doubt anyone has ever come close to exceeding it, even if you had 1000 videos plastered on the site. And, there is the control issue: having total control of the elements on your site is a surety that cannot be easily replaced. For example, how are you going to deal with the possibility of video links going dead, or videos themselves being downed by YouTube for whatever reason? Which brings me to another perspective ....

Since band is no longer really an issue as a VodaHost client (I seriously doubt you will exceed 1,000,000 downloads a month), I personally would source and use videos that did not have a Watermark from YouTube. I tend to think it telegraphs how technically challenged the Publisher is, and allowing such a detraction and "less than professional" look to appear on a website that is supposed to accentuate technical (and artistic) expertise is such a disconnect that even visitors are left with an unsettling sense of incongruency or "average" feeling. But, that is only my view .....

Whatever your choice, you must decide how much risk you are willing to assume to get the results you desire.

So .... a few things to think about and reflect on. Maybe it helps to paint a clearer picture of the overall aspect of attending to a website design with attention given to not just the visual candy, but the logical purpose and function as well.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• dj-santiago
        First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

okay I really don't know where you're coming from as regards the Cake?
        but thats irrelevant...

Thank you very much for answering some of the legal stuff to me.. really appreciated.

I'm still wondering though whether my 2nd question will be answered.

Thanks

DJ Cam
        www.wexforddj.com

Comment

• Karen Mac
          General

• Apr 2006

Web accelerators are mostly used by DIALUP users to load pages faster by SPLICING graphics (video, multi media etc) and other content into layers and then only loading the layers necessary to place hold the content so that it is rendered usable by the viewer...this can mean a reduction in the COLORS rendered as well as frames in video or other animatons and totally disabling others, like flash. By reducing the quality of the content they are able to reproduce loading times similar to higher speed page loads....

So.. I wouldnt USE the accelerator, even when i had dial up. So if your question is.. will the accelerator interfere with the QUALITY of your visual experience .. the answer is YES.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• dj-santiago
            First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
            Web accelerators are mostly used by DIALUP users to load pages faster by SPLICING graphics (video, multi media etc) and other content into layers and then only loading the layers necessary to place hold the content so that it is rendered usable by the viewer...this can mean a reduction in the COLORS rendered as well as frames in video or other animatons and totally disabling others, like flash. By reducing the quality of the content they are able to reproduce loading times similar to higher speed page loads....

So.. I wouldnt USE the accelerator, even when i had dial up. So if your question is.. will the accelerator interfere with the QUALITY of your visual experience .. the answer is YES.

Karen

Thank you Karen

exactly the answer that was needed.

regards

DJ cam
            www.wexforddj.com

Comment

• dj-santiago
              First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

Thanks a bunch.

vasilli - not done intentionally. the site has been revamped. AS STATED!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Hmmmmm....... "no excuse for ignorance," saith the Judge before he sentenced the accused!

I'll mention only things I see on the Main page of this "revamped" version to make it somewhat more brief:
                A) In your scrollbox, you have 3 spelling and punctuation errors (punctuation = words running together);
                B) Your images along the page bottom bar are all distorted due to stretching rather than having been edited. Use the Pixresizer at least, to end up with images that are representative of a level of professionalism you wish to project!
                C) It seems the pages are loading slower than they should be .... double-check to be sure you properly loaded you scroller script and that each picture has been properly reduced not just for size to fit, but file size also.

Comment

• dj-santiago
                  First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

i'll check for the spelling. the images along bottom are only temp. the proper ones are to be inserted at the weekend - sometime. i don't know exactly what you mean in regards (c) could you explain it simpler to me. sorry for being dumb.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: C) Page loading slower than expected.

I was simply making an observation from my end, that the page was loading slower than expected, since I have very hi-speed and very reliable internet connection. My first thought was toward the images .... if they were distorted so due to improrper editing then they might also be larger file sizes than optimal as well (proper editing, re-sizing, etc. usually reduces file size at the same time).

And ... if the images were put on the page without proper preparation, I thought it would be prudent to make sure your scroller was installed properly as well, as often scripts will perform at less than optimal speeds and accuracy if they are not.

Either of these will contribute to slower page loads and possible page errors, depending on Visitor connection, browser, and system. If at all possible, try to prepare for a more "universal" viewing experience, and you will assure better results across the board.

Comment

• dj-santiago
                      First Sergeant

• Feb 2008

Thank you Vas. appreceated.
                      www.wexforddj.com

Comment

Working...
                      X