• AllStarWash
    Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Changing my look...

Here is my current site. Kind of boring:

Current Site

Here is a new look that I worked on today:

New look for site

I would appreciate comments. I know for something professional, you'd want white and clean. But for something artistic, like web designers, graphic designers, artists, photographers, and yes, videographers, you neew to show a little style.
  • mrmagoo144
    Brigadier General

• Feb 2007

Re: Changing my look...

you site is too wide. not sure what you offer. do you do the video capturing and video editing? the sample page didnt have any sample videos to look at. what type of finishing do you offer, what formats, and for what markets? i went through a few pages and then you lost me. i also offer video and you can have a look at my site and compare.
    good luck.
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

• AllStarWash
      Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Hmmm... you couldn't tell what I do from all that? Jeez. The sample page has 4 videos clips, I just checked.

I checked your site. Didn't know if you were aware, when you go to the "popping out of the box" page, if you click "home" a new window pops up with 404 error., a few other times I could not get out of the pages (nothing to click on, hard to navigate - too me anyway! But I get lost easy! ;) )

But anyway, I mainly do special interest videos.

Other than too wide, what about the "look", not what service I offer. The current page was thrown up pretty fast with out much thought. The new one will be much nicer.

On the video on your home page. Is that WMV? Sure loaded fast! I take it you are a golfer?

Comment

• AllStarWash
        Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Ok, MaGoo... I see what you did. Each page opened a new window. But I got to ask you... Why would you not have links on all the pages? Doesn't seem too SEO friendly.

Your project for Tupelo Bay was VERY nice! Kudos!

Comment

• D'son
          Major General

• Apr 2008

I liek the new look, yes its way too wide (stay under 1000). I like the quality of the intro video although I wish I could turn the music off (a little annoying). I think it looks professional yet not the run of the mill. plain white back ground. Easy to navagate and the color scheme works well. The page does take too long to load though could be the music/video combo (not sure) I think you are definately on the right track. Good job.
          Reguards
          Ed
          www.dsondesigns.com
          www.marseillesyouthsports.com
          www.300hitter.com
          www.bigjk.net
          How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

• AllStarWash
            Sergeant

• Jul 2008

It's the music. I'm not leaving it. I'm building a site for a friend (another new Voda customer thanks to me - my 4th!!), anyway, he wants music to play, so I wanted to test it. I'm redoing the video, not enough light and it came out grainy.

I butted heads with the width... with all the new PC's having wide screen, I didn't know what to do. What is the latest on this? Seems you can't even buy a regular monitor anymore.

Comment

• D'son
              Major General

• Apr 2008

True, but there are many out there that still use the old style monitors. And so far the common practice is to stay under 1000 wide.
              Reguards
              Ed
              www.dsondesigns.com
              www.marseillesyouthsports.com
              www.300hitter.com
              www.bigjk.net
              How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

• Tom Finley
                Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Even though your page fits on my wide screen, the background image doesn't. It forces a scroll bar; don't know if that's a big deal.
                CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• mrmagoo144
                  Brigadier General

• Feb 2007

thanks for pointing that out. i looked at the site again and still feel if you narrowed the width to less than a 1000 pixels you would have a different look than what you are trying to do now. as for the width - the old school is 800 pixels wide. i think the majority of the people are using the 1024 x 768 settings for their monitor. saying that it would make sense that less than 1000 would look good if you have some type of background, either a design or solid color to highlight the meat of your site.
                  i still did not get the pictures, my suggestion would be to convert to flash, that way 95% of the world would see them. now, there are some good flash convertors and some not so good. just google wmv to swf convertions and you will see a ton of products to look at. that is what i use for my home page, but i have had good results with using wmv. the only thing is not everyone sees them.
                  i was kind of hoping you had a school for video training. God knows we could all use some help there.
                  Happy New Year
                  mrmagoo144
                  www.videopostcards.info

Comment

• Collectors-info
                    General

• Feb 2006

Hi, ditto with the music being turned off.
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                    X