• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy_mccaleb
    Sergeant

• Jan 2009

Some critiques please!

Hey there guys, I am new to this whole web design thing and (lol) really don't like the design aspect! I'm all about some marketing and other such tasks. This site simple as it is, has taken more mental energy than all my other stuff combined! (and no one should have to think, right? lol) Any way, If you guys would let me know what you think I would appreciate it, I am not completely finished, I still have some pics to find and add and some glitches to work out that I will inquire about in other forum threads. (I only know about the two on the contact page)

www.midtnremodel.com

Thanks!

Andy
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Some critiques please!

change the extension of your contact page to php. Go into your page properties, there is a drop down bow that will currently have .html in it. Chanfe it to .php and republish it and all that coding at the top of the page will disappear.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• RATED-RKOFRANKLIN
      Corporal

• Dec 2008

I live in TN too! Your website looks good. However fix your contact page.

Comment

• cosmiclove
        Sergeant Major

• Oct 2007

I really like the medical theme you're using to describe your professional field. It gives your site a clean and professional look! I think the white background also matches quite well the idea of a house doctor in a white blouse.

What I was hoping to see though was more images illustrating your practical skills. About 90% of the site is made of text. If you present yourself as a handyman, showing some tools, (hammer, wood,.. well you certainly know more than I can list here) or some house during renovation or house you've worked on, will make it more appealing to the prospective customer, but this is my personal opinion. Overall, I like it very much! nice work.

Herman

Comment

• andy_mccaleb
          Sergeant

• Jan 2009

Awesome guys, thanks so much for the reviews! Very Constructive.

Andy

Comment

• SChajin
            Major General

• Jan 2006

Hey Jason, the buttons hurt my eyes..Very bright, but I like the looks of the site.
            Sharon Chajin

Comment

• Marincky
              General

• Apr 2006

Your site doesn't look like 'what it says on the tin'. I think you have gone down the wrong road here myself... Looks like a weight-loss website sorry.

You still have plenty more to do.
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• andy_mccaleb
                Sergeant

• Jan 2009

Yeah SChajin, I don't like to button text style either, the funny thing is in the button properties, the text is specified as black with a red mouse over.... I don't understand why they show up pink!

Comment

• andy_mccaleb
                  Sergeant

• Jan 2009

Lol, thanks for the input Marincky... it's really not to my taste either, but I'm building for a friend and he is set on the whole professional doctor theme for his handyman biz, just trying to work in those parameters!

Comment

• gunnk2
                    Sergeant

• Jan 2009

I like the theme. I agree with the person who suggested more pics. I also might like to see the font changed a little. It might look nice to match the text font with the font that is over to the left (PHD section). Possibly more paragraphs would help to break up the text. Trying spacing between sentences when you change ideas. For example, put a space before "Our goal..." and "We have a lot of info..." It seems like a lot to read when you first look at it. Great writing. I didn't see any grammatical errors, etc.

Good Job!

Comment

• SChajin
                      Major General

• Jan 2006

LOL, They are not black either...
                      Sharon Chajin

Comment

• davidundalicia
                        General

• Mar 2006

You might try moving some of the "SERVICES" items to your index page(fill out that white space)
                        which should help your keywords and SEO..............(One of Marincky's ideas in another post)
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                        Newbies / Beginners Forum
                        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• crouquet
                          Sergeant Major

• Jan 2007

Hi!
                          For what it's worth I think the idea of comparing a house doctor to a medical one is theorectically a good one. However, on paper I'm not sure it works. At first glance without reading the info I thought you were selling medical supplies. It looks a bit too clean and clinical for a profession which would normally be associated with getting your hands dirty.
                          I agree with Herman - I'd put more images of tools, men at work etc etc.

I like the sit per se - just don't think I'd stop and look if I wanted my house doctored.

Elena
                          www.lescrouquets.net

Comment

• MiaWa
                            Corporal

• Jan 2009

Hi Andy,

I like that your website has a clean look (not cluttered); the info is well-organized. The doctor theme is a unique approach for a handyman/property manager work. I think it serves a dual purpose: it makes it interesting, but at the same time can throw people off. Unless a visitor read the contents, he/she may assume it's a medical field.

As someone else has already suggested, perhaps some reference to house projects through graphics can be present on the home page. The "About Us" page is a good opportunity to talk about past experience / projects and include more graphics related to the business.

All in all I think you've done great work!
                            Mia

Comment

• andy_mccaleb
                              Sergeant

• Jan 2009

Hey there Guys, thanks again for the all the input. I have been very busy putting all of your advice into play! I'm not sure how this forum works, so I hope you can all see this new post... and get a chance to check out the updated site.

I got all the kinks out except for one with the form...it sends the entered data to the specified address, but won't go the specified success or fail pages!? Oh well, I'll ask about it in the forms thread!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X