• Show
Clear All
  • Elegance Reclaimed
    Sergeant

• Jul 2009

you are invited to critique...

Hello

You are invited to critique my new web site www.elegancereclaimed.com

Not all the pages are completed, but all the links "should" be working and you should be able to follow the pathway through to all the items offered on each of the catagory pages.

How do you see the pages and how to you find the layout and logic.

Please note here that "Policies" has been updated to include the side menu, but Google has not picked it up as-of-yet, and, I have made the adjustment (html in the headers) for Google not to cach any pages, and "Policies" is the last to change.

I plan to be changing the "Inquires" page to be titled "Communications" as one it is more inclusive and will fit better on the page, as well as change "About Us" to read "Profile".

The one thing I have noticed is on the home page, the single menus take a bit longer to load, so initially, temporarily appear as white rectangles. Don't know how I can change that. Maybe after it is definatly set, I will change it back to being cached for that reason alone.

So, so far, this is what I've accomplished. I need to input items, finish re writing my profile, and do the communications info etc etc. and the links page. I also need (I think) to down-size my photos so they load faster. For the detail I want to keep the physicial size, just need down-size the resolution.

Each catagory page will eventualy display a showcase of items, but each item will have it's own page of additional pics and a full discription which can bee seen by clicking on the rol-over picture on the catagory page.

Since starting this project, it has been a long, many times bewildering, and frustrating (the scene of Joel the first day in Alaska in the TV show Northern Exposure, when he goes out into the delapitated old truck and works out his frustration by beating up the steeringwheel, kept coming to mind many times through this process) ride, but I think I am nearing the finish line.

Anyways, any and all suggestions and findings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

P.S. Does anyone know what happens to the Paypal buttons once an item has been paid for? Does it become inactive? Or, do I need to do a "html" coded button to have that?
  • bluedays
    Sergeant

• Apr 2008

Re: you are invited to critique...

Hi Lynda

Very nice!

The feel of the website suits the products very well.

I did find the text a little small and the images long to load in.

(Re SEO, there's not any text on your homepage, which can make it difficult for Google to know what your site's about. If you can gain some high-PR links from related websites, this will help. It's best to have some text explaining your products etc though.)

Comment

• Elegance Reclaimed
      Sergeant

• Jul 2009

Hello and thank you "Bluedays" for your comments. Greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my tardy reply; I have been chin-deep in linens, and, adjusting the site.

I adjusted the size of the font by going back to my original choice, but, had to make images of the them as some computers don't read Edwardian font, then put them in roll-overs and put in a colour change image for the mouse-over, and then the link, Wheeu, a lot of work, but it looks nice from my screen. How does it look to everyone else?

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by bluedays View Post
        (Re SEO, there's not any text on your homepage, which can make it difficult for Google to know what your site's about. If you can gain some high-PR links from related websites, this will help. It's best to have some text explaining your products etc though.)
        Agreed, it would be 'preferrable' to have at least 20 words as an introductory paragraph on your index page because people generally expect to see it, but it is not nearly as critical as it used to be even 9 months ago (ever since Google significantly de-valued simple META like KW, Page Titles, Page Description, etc. and reverted to favoring Construct, Content, and Relevance in Oct. '08 ) .... because your pages are serving as Category pages, which when drilled down to present product pages with increasing item descriptions, the overall Relevancy of the website is tight and well-formed and is the singlemost essential, core element that Google and Bing calculate their baseline valuations upon.

In fact, working with current SE methods, this site type would be a perfect candidate for a PPC/SEM campaign, as specific Key Words and Page Titles acting upon smaller Content will produce greater returns from a properly designed KWP posturing with the SE's!!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X