Re-designed old site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-designed old site

That's because you forgot to add the .html at the end of the link. Also, I would recommend not capitalizing the name of your pages.

Also, I would recommend naming the BV pages the same name as the name of the links on the site. It will help with SEO when the robots see a link's name matching the actual link, it looks more legit that way for the robots :)
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services

Comment

thanks

Comment

Is there any benefit of not having pages centred? If someone has a small screen, isn't there something to be said for having the page over to the left; then they only have to scroll to the right and not both ways - unless you want your page to be narrow that is.
        www.dinkdy.info
        www.aboriginalarttreasures.com
        www.thegemlovers.com
        www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Originally posted by pioneerVicki View Post
          Is there any benefit of not having pages centred? If someone has a small screen, isn't there something to be said for having the page over to the left; then they only have to scroll to the right and not both ways - unless you want your page to be narrow that is.
          The key is the actual width of the site: 960 pixels is the widest standard acceptable in W3C compliant builds, as it is evenly divisible by 2, 4, 12 etc. in the way computers configure display according to screen resolution and across all browser platforms - MAC included. It will be a few years and a couple evolutions of Windows before things catch up to the 1024 "trend" that consumers have been inching toward for the last 3-4 years.

That being said, if your site is no wider than 960, even if the monitor resolution is set at 800x600, it will display with only 5% horizontal scroll ... negligable in most compositional respects and with little or no User inconvenience. The 800 wide resolution must still be preserved due to a majority of unsophisticated Users in developing countries using less than current systems just as browsers must include the sloppy and cumbersome code for IE6 as a bottom standard due to so many increments available until you get updated to the cleaner, more universal IE8.

With that concept now explained in basic terms, I can say that I in fact have one website that was specifically designed to be flush-left, and it was only for the uniqueness of the design, the presentation, and the novelty that supported the site premise (purpose) entirely, as seen here.

But, this is the only site I have created to be so, and for good reason: most consumers have a difficult time keeping optical and cognizant focus off to one side (the base reason my Content on the site is so minimalized = easier reading, shorter attention spans, and greater rentention).

In all my builds from any of my sites/businesses/companies, including support from my SEO enterprise (I have some extremely well-known clients, BTW), I prove the optimal build as one with a site centered in the browser.

To answer your question: Wider sites allow for more white space between elements, more room to orgainze Content display without seeming crowded or confusing, and to have access to more emphatical license that more pixel footprints provides. And, technically, the SE's actually do rate whether or not a site is centered, as it figures into how they evaluate balance and construct according to their Perfect Page Model.

I could list volumes of documentation to support my preposition, but honestly, for those that know of me these many years, you should simply take my word for it (or spend hours doing searches in these very forums to find references and docs).

I am more concerned with my fellow Blue Voda Users that simply think nothing of creating a site at 1100, 1300, and even 1600 pixels wide. It is so prevalent and unfortunate to find people doing things in defiance of actual standards and sincere advice and counsel .... they will learn the hard way, I suppose .....
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Wow .... again, General. You should write all this down so people like me could have the real info to go with all in one place, rather than playing hit or miss with everyone else's posted advice and doing the hunt and peck to find these real pearls.
            BP: SHOW ME DA MONEY!

Comment

Thanks Tony, that's a great idea!

Comment

Working...
              X