Homemade Solar Energy DIY.com Any comments or reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bstc
    Private First Class

• Jul 2009

Homemade Solar Energy DIY.com Any comments or reviews?

I am using WP to build a site http://homemadesolarenergydiy.com to promote homemade energy and solar green energy.

Any improvements or advices?
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Homemade Solar Energy DIY.com Any comments or reviews?

Why aren't you using WP version 3.0 or better? The version you are using has been identified with specific vulnerabilities recently, and version 3.0 and above have the upgraded SEO pack pre-installed, meaning you may not need the SemperFi SEO plug-in that leaves another backdoor ajar to hacks ...

Also, opting to have basically a one-page site rather than utilize interior pages simply to have all your Content on a very tall, non-compliant index page will hurt you in the long run rather than benefit from being on a WP foundation. Major mis-step in strategic web design, IMO.
    Using a super web-friendly foundation like WordPress to create basically a spamsite-like format is a waste of time, again IMO, as there is no "cancelling" or "balancing" of detriment and benefit: either the construct complies, or it does not, long before the bots move on to the Content and other variables.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• DarrenC
      Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

Yep...looks pretty good, I've seem this theme before but its a nice one. Don't forget the Twitter Link.

Go to the dashboard and it will tell you if updates are available. Read what it says and do a back up. I personally throw caution to the wind and just click the automatic update and it all works fine for me.

The comments on your posts will get spammed, which is a nuisance, you can get a pluggin called 'Spam Blocker' which learns to deal with it. Other than take away the comment option.

Your index page does look like a blog roll, nothing wrong with that, but if you want to make it look more static you can nominate another page within the site to be the first one.

Apart from that everything looks fine, nothing to say really as Wordpress takes care of everything as you know,

I can't comment on what is compliant and what is non-compliant, I don't know enough about this unlike the man with many stars does. All I know is Wordpress is a world wide brand used by 1000' of people so its got to be pretty good...aint it?
      Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by DarrenC View Post
        The comments on your posts will get spammed, which is a nuisance, you can get a pluggin called 'Spam Blocker' which learns to deal with it. Other than take away the comment option.

Your index page does look like a blog roll, nothing wrong with that, but if you want to make it look more static you can nominate another page within the site to be the first one.
        No need to get a "Spam Blocker" or worry about your WP being spammed .... merely set permissions that all comments must first be approved by you, and only submitted by registered Users, and then you can filter through them at your leisure. Letting people Register (upon your Approval) and even to Comment (upon your Editorial Review) is a good thing, just as it is on CMS foundations, for it builds a great interactive Consumer base to communicate with on a regular basis, even if to email a Newsletter, distribute special deals or offers, or merely to follow-up with as a Customer Satisfaction Survey .... all useful tools and advanced CRM methods you should be thinking about.
        Also, remember to create a Filter list of obscene words and typical spammy words that you wish to prevent even being submitted: once people realize they cannot post with such included, more likely than not they will abandon your site and go looking for the next.

You do not "nominate" pages ... you create them, and for each page you create a new Menu item for, you have the choice of whether or not to make as a "Sticky" to the Front Page.... which is why you see many WP sites with a static-looking normally formatted page up front and the bulk of their Content neatly organized according to Menu, Catagory, and even Date.....just as any other website should be structured.

However you "design" your website, either in WordPress or any other format, keep in mind that pages taller than 1300-1500 pixels (at the most) will earn negative metrics, not positive!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• ahimsa
          Major General

• Jan 2009

......oh dear! It can be that English is not your first language? In which case please take this as advice & not criticism lol Get a proof reader! I only went through the first paragraph of your opening text & realised I didn't need to go further:

Are you aware that every day we are wasting a lot of energy? If we could make use of it, we would not only benefit ourselves and get home energy for free; we would also be protecting our environment. We would be rely ing less on fossil fuel energy and so help prevent an environmental disaster.

In fact, the sun's energy is the most promising and most secure renewable energy for us. Even ordinary people can make use of it; the question is do you know exactly how to put your hands on it? The answer is here: easy to follow manual script to DIY energy.

I would guess that people who would be interested in your product &/or helping to "save the planet" will be educated enough to be put off by the poor grammar & spelling of your text..........
          good luck anyway
          Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Working...
          X