Why do I look so plain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I look so plain.

I keep moving things, and removing then I start over but I always to seem to end up with a very boring looking site. I'm into making Twiggy's from....well, twigs, and I'm eventually going to sell on here. (Have sold lots elsewhere) Also I want kids to enjoy a story I'm writing for them. How do make it interesting so people will hang around a bit?

Re: Why do I look so plain.

I looked at Twiggy's page - there is a lot of writing to wade through. There is nothing very wrong, but I would suggest breaking up the words and putting pictures in it. If you are writing for kids they enjoy pictures more than words, and nothing puts them off more than lots of words on the page.

If you break your text into a number of different text boxes you can have some photos to the left or right of the words, and make it more interesting that way.
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Originally posted by kenkew
      I keep moving things, and removing then I start over but I always to seem to end up with a very boring looking site. I'm into making Twiggy's from....well, twigs, and I'm eventually going to sell on here. (Have sold lots elsewhere) Also I want kids to enjoy a story I'm writing for them. How do make it interesting so people will hang around a bit?
      www.kengar.com
      You need colour and images on your front page - something interesting to grab peoples' attention. If you don't 'hit' them within the first three seconds you could lose them and they won't even bother navigating to your other pages. I did look at the twiggy page, I noticed that your pages are untitled (page properties - right click on page background), also the images you have used need re-sizing. They are big and very slow to load - this too, can put people off. (PixResizer is available from the support centre under downloads.) I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh... but honesty is the best policy. Have a think about using some copyright free clipart, or using coloured shapes to highlight your text or, maybe, even have a go at designing a logo for your site. Good luck - and well done so far.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Kenkew, I have checked the size of your pics on the 'Twiggyland' page and they are both over 1300kb. I have resized them to about the same size as on your page and they are less than 10kb now, so if you use them the page will be a lot faster loading. I have done a banner as well but you don't have to use it, I just thought I might as well have a go at one at the same time.
        You will find them here

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
        royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

Kenkew,

Yes I agree, it is very plain. Roy did a great job if you chose to use it.
          Good luck with your site.
          Sharon Chajin

Comment

Many thanks for the advice. I've made changes but still a long way to go. Do I just copy/paste RoyB's pic's? (Although I think I have resized now. Now got pix resize. Thanks....please keep the advice coming...it's the only way to progress.

Comment

as for the pics try having a go with gallery on the left of your b.v panel it lets you set pics up so people can click on them so they become a larger image cos i found it difficult to see the twigs properly, but hey its all about keeping in there and it looks like its going to be a good site
              The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
              Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

You need to put on your homepage what your site is about - I didn't have a clue until I started clicking around, most people won't hang around that long.

Also, the Grono link does not work and your forum should be listed as Forum, not A4A Allotments, no one would have a clue what that even is visiting your site. Check out the other sites of the people here for ideas, there are lots out there and good luck!
                Terri
                www.ice-tropic.com
                www.janebondtravel.com
                www.theazfoodcritic.com

Comment

This is really fantastic help from you all, many thanks. I have changed a couple of things again due to the explainations as to how...! I can already see how much better it is...lots still to do but with help and advice from the likes of you people, maybe one day people will talk about me. Mmm, actually they already do, but possibly one day it will be nice things. Thanks again, keep it coming.
                  Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenkew
                    www.kengar.com
                    May I suggest using one of the soho templates. Maybe using a two tone color since your twiggys have color, put title below and under first page and photo, with brief description. I also think earth color will work good with site. Layouts should be easier with that also as far as posting what you have. You have a very nice item to sell. Wish you the best of luck. Keep me posted on your site. I'd like to no when your done. Once you complete I would like to add your site to my links page with your permission.
                    www.toysandbooks.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by laindia
                      May I suggest using one of the soho templates. Maybe using a two tone color since your twiggys have color, put title below and under first page and photo, with brief description. I also think earth color will work good with site. Layouts should be easier with that also as far as posting what you have. You have a very nice item to sell. Wish you the best of luck. Keep me posted on your site. I'd like to no when your done. Once you complete I would like to add your site to my links page with your permission.
                      www.toysandbooks.com
                      OOps, and sometimes a plain template is better when you have an item for sale with different colors. You don't want to much color to take away from your item. Its a matter of finding right template. Or maybe making one yourself. Since you don't plan on putting to much on home page, Big Bold two tone Earth color will work great.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi Ken,

your site has allready many interesting concepts, I think it would benefit from interactivity to make it more fun (sinse it is for kids)

it might be a good idea if you look for insipiration from flash designers to add flash movies with BV

and perhaps you could offer some free gifts on a cyclical basis

or you could create a character who answers questions and throws jokes or stufff like that.....people would want to come back and interact cause it offers valuable and fun content

I dono these are just silly ideas out of the blue

Comment

I find this site hilarious, it clearly shows what atmosphere flash can add

to a website http://www.justforthefofit.com/

the point I am making is that interactivity can be of value depending on what you want to acomplish with your project

Comment

Looks very good, G. Could liven things up abit. Are the interactive things easy to install?

Comment

Working...
                            X