• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vodayoda
    Sergeant First Class

• May 2006

Please! Suggestions wanted!

Hello! I would LOVE to receive your feedback (yes, YOU!) on my first-ever site. Dive in and give me your thoughts, suggestions, and any other ideas...it will only make it better! www.wildedgeconservationscience.org.

P.S. Thanks so much BLUE VODA, VODAHOST, and all of you AMAZING "military" experts who made me think I could do this. What a blast! It's a little embarassing that I've gained so many stripes from submitting ASKING posts, not HELPING ones...LOL!
  • allstarfaces
    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Re: Please! Suggestions wanted!

my p.c is on a go slow today 2meg braodband and your site loaded a bit slow maybe want to use pixresize its free from voda and tha mite help, at first glance it looks cool exactly like a wildlife type page nice use of colours, page wants puling up at the top a bit and tha end of the page needs a sort of end i felt like it should go on more i know im being nitt pikky here but its best to be honest now rather than you realise these things later on. as for the pics now they seem blurry to me again this is prob a good idea to use pixresizer for this reason too
    lol having said all that i tried most of the links thay are ok having said that i think this is one of the nicest cleanest fresh to the point interesting sites ive seen on here for ages good luck
    The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
    Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I agree with AllStar...your registration of key elements makes transition between pages jumpy.
      >HOME page is registered far below top edge....in BV, use arrows to advance to top edge of page until it cannot go any higher, then simply "stretch down" the bottom edge of page/image to meet left borders.
      >A couple of pages (especially Press Room), the left nav and top left images are only about 1-2 clicks off registration, but very noticable when moving thru.
      **Find out what the X-Y axis registrations are for everything (lower right hand BV bar) and make same for all pages.....I too, had to rely on this method long before the "clone" button came out....ahhh, the good old days!

To help your images look better and load faster, try re-saving them as JPG's instead of GIF's.....use your filters to *****en and despeckle before final saving and use. JPG's present finer resolution and load much differently.....

Your site is very *****ly designed and presents a professional attention to detail. You should be extremely proud of your work, and thoughtful planning!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• royb
        Major General

• Mar 2006

The pictures were slow loading for me too. I am also on 2mg broadband so its not my pc. The pics need resizing to the what they are going to be viewed at on the pages. The site is basically ok apart from that, I think you will find that with the comments from other membes and your own tweeks that you will end up with a very good site.

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
        royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

• vodayoda
          Sergeant First Class

• May 2006

Wonderful suggestions. Thank you, thank you! KEEP THEM COMING! I need all the help I can get.
          LOL! I did wonder why it loaded so slowly. Hmmmm...CLONE button??? Hahaha! That would have been a good thing to discover!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I know.....I lost a lot of hair before I got lazy and simply deleted things off pages and resaved them.....geez! Who would have THOUGHT to actually insert a CLONE function! LOLOL!!

You only have a few minor tweaks, and you will have a truly wonderful site to show off.....good for you!!! And - welcome to VodaLand! Stick around long enough after you finish up to pass on the encouragements to those just arriving!!!

Comment

• vodayoda
              Sergeant First Class

• May 2006

Thank you! Yes, I will. I need to add some HELPING stripes to "pay it forward" for everyone who is helping me. :)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Here's something you can use if you don't have a photo editor like ACDSee, or the Editor that may have been supplied with a digital camera?? (NOT the Kodak or Safeway things, please!) I copied it off General VodaHost's post in another thread:

run all your pictures through pix resizer >> http://www.vodahost.com/pix.htm I disagree about the earlier comment on photo size...they are exactly the size you need, but *****ening them up, despeckling them, and changing them to JPG (for photos, primarily) rather than GIF (for Graphics) should really be the solution...maybe this "resizer" has a refiner too??

"with a little help from my friends..."

PS: I became temporarily famous outwardly complaining that I was making "Stripes by gripes" rather than as 'honorably' as I thought I could....LOLOL Look at me now! I get to ride in a Jeep, but I still have to pull to the side whenever a General blazes thru!

Comment

• limebrook1
                  Brigadier General

• Jun 2005

My comments would also be about the pictures - very slow loading and not too *****. Otherwise I liked the site.
                  Trish
                  www.Limebrook.com
                  www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                  www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                  www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                  www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

• robobobo
                    Captain

• Apr 2006

The Site is fine and all the links work its just the pictures!They didnt take for ages but they did take about 8 seconds but apart from that its fine
                    I used the pixresizer that bluevoda provided and i made all my pictures load alot faster and my website has alot of pictures!! Alot!!
                    robobobo
                    Blog Insomnia.com Blogging Help,Guides & Tips
                    Techinfo-4u.com Tech Discussions and Guides
                    www.visionlandscapes.ie
                    [COLOR=#22229c[/COLOR]

Comment

• Angelos_B
                      Sergeant

• May 2006

Dear Vodayoda,
                      all suggestions from our friends in the forum are quite usefullm as far as placing of the photos etc. I will stay with the size of the photos. They are huge!!! For instance the nestingonpole2 (down to the right) is a .gif with important reduced quality BUT it is 1,75 Mb (i open the file in Photoshop), it is VERY big and "heavy". The actual size of the photo (in 72 pixels/inch) is 44,45cm X 51,44cm. You see what i mean? The "normal" size must be 130 pix X 150 pix (now is 1250 pix X 1358 pix). And if it was normal instead of 1.75 Mb it should be 19,2 K !!!!

If you need more help tell me

Comment

• bill2006
                        Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Site looks fine and pics load quickly. The background is really nice and in keeping with your website.

I did notice that you do not have "Home" navbar in http://www.wildedgeconservationscience.org/legal.html every other page does. I clicked on the logo to get back.

Also, you might want to make the link words a little darker shade, i.e. convenient inquiry request form -tends to be overlooked

Bill
                        www.blueearthtea.com
                        www.ftaaconsulting.com
                        www.iaval.com
                        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• vodayoda
                          Sergeant First Class

• May 2006

Yes, I didn't really know how big photos were supposed to be. When I placed the "nesting on pole" photo, it covered the entire website! LOL! I just sized it smaller in on the page.

Oh, on the legal page it had so much "blah,blah,blah..." that it took up three sections. I took off the navigation so people would have to run through it all. (It reappears in the last legal page) Yes, in hindsight, it was probably a bit too controlling! hahaha! I'll put it back.

Hmmm, good catch on the link shade...I thought that myself once, but then forgot about it!

Thanks to ALL. KEEP SENDING COMMENTS! I love it!

Comment

• SChajin
                            Major General

• Jan 2006

You will get there, keep up the good work
                            Sharon Chajin

Comment

• jamnltd
                              Sergeant Major

• Apr 2006

My suggestion would be to justify your text. Also, on my computer your link colors are very pale, I can barely see them.

Having no experience at website development, I agree with you, BV sure made it easy and I am having fun in the learning process.

Andrea
                              Connecting community, culture and families.

Comment

Working...
                              X