finally, a domain! please, input is welcomed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pemdas21
    Special Status

• May 2006

finally, a domain! please, input is welcomed!

I just purchased this domain... Tell me what you think of the voda-built site! www.electronics4dummies.com
  • Girlonthehill
    General

• Oct 2005

Re: finally, a domain! please, input is welcomed!

Originally posted by pemdas21
    I just purchased this domain... Tell me what you think of the voda-built site! www.electronics4dummies.com
    I like the appearance, but what is it about? Where are the links? (I did find a couple of go menus - is that it?). I didn't find it easy to use and feel that you need to work on making your site more visitor friendly and interesting. You've got plenty of talent, that I can see, and, I'm sure, with just a little tweaking here and there and a little more content - you will have a winning site. Well done on getting your site published and good luck.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• moviemedic
      Sergeant Major

• Jun 2006

I like the fact that it is clean and not cluttered. The buttons across the top might have a better feel if they have some space from the top of the page,my view was they were scrunched up against top. I am viewing your site using a 15in. powerbook MAC with Firefox browser. All your links seemed to work, however I was never really sure what I was looking at or for. The left navigation box was in another language with jumbled spacing. Maybe you are working on this still. I think you are on the right track.

Happy web building,

moviemedic
      flyingkittenmusic.com

Comment

• beegud2
        Major General

• Apr 2006

Hi,
        Nice uncluttered site. I have an idea what your sight is about BUT you need to say something about what you are doing at the top maybe - a quick blurb on what visitors are going to be getting from your sight. Most people will pass over if they are not certain from the get go what your sight does.
        I'm assuming your sight is about helping people find th latest tech products and you'll be reviewing them..that's waht I got....

Agree with the scrunching of th menu at the top ...lower it a bit...maybe even make it black so it stands out and is easier to see and not b missed.

It's getting there and a little tweaking and you'll be on your way.
        Beezz
        sigpic

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

Comment

• circuspet.com
          Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

When I tried your button (link) I ended up on a page that looked like MS WORD with a doc on it, rules and guide bars complete. Then when I tried to back out IT kept going back I noticed my address bar was reading that page as an r?? not html. not good with acronems or familiar with that address, but it don't work and if you readjust your page properties to no more than 600w you'll save your self a lot of work later.

Comment

• pemdas21
            Special Status

• May 2006

rtf is just a wrod document. I will try to move the bar at the top lower. I am on a wireless connection on vacation at vegas... hope it works! Yes, the site is about getting the real info about electronics... basically tells you what you will get. This is my first site ever! (I am 14)

Comment

• pemdas21
              Special Status

• May 2006

I got it all changed like you suggested... Please, more suggestions (I am new at this). I tried to make the goal more plain, black and white on the homepage.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

I don't get it. And if I don't get it, neither will most people.
                You've got a good idea, but it seems cluttered with other things that may not really be a part of what this website is supposed to be all about.....

For instance:
                A. If you intend to act as a resource for visitors to bone up on product reviews (and the like), then that should be your main focus: if that IS to be your main focus, then I would immediately reverse the order of your links >> move the top-placed "funny" links to the bottom, and move the Go-Menus and other selection tools to the top. (**Remember the Rule to keep everything important "above the fold"?)
                B. Unless you really need the money, lose the Adsense > they only add cents and cost you the crispness and "dedicated" appearance your site deserves. (The promise of them contributing to SE ranking has yet to be definitively proven)
                C. Put your "Forum" somewhere else (maybe mid-page? or accessible via a nice graphical link?) **Remember it is an additional "tool" not a crucial element to your Business Plan....unless you intend to use it as a method of posting "reviews".....
                D. The scrolling flash at the top would be useful to announce an important/featured new "Product Review," site section added, etc. rather than urge visitors to merely email you "hme made guides" which seems to degrade the level of professionalism you are projecting....
                E. Re-think the size (width) of your site/pages. Maybe if you lose the Adsense, you can easily balance it back closer to 800 wide so EVERYONE will have an easy view. And then you can "center" it.

You clearly have both the eye and ability to do great work, and even though you are 14 I think you might prefer to merely simplify and dedicate your site to appeal to visitors of ALL ages, right?

(I waited quite some time to comment as I didn't want to come across as being too hard.....this is just what I see, and what makes sense to me. I may be wrong, but you should at least have the opportunity to hear what everyone else can see, and then make up your mind what makes sense to YOU...)
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• circuspet.com
                  Brigadier General

• Feb 2006

Pemdas21:

you may want do do so text editing. Your page title is in new roman while the rest of the site is ariel. You might want to center your text on the page and center the pages (page properties). Like the background.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Vasili
                    For instance:
                    E. Re-think the size (width) of your site/pages. Maybe if you lose the Adsense, you can easily balance it back closer to 800 wide so EVERYONE will have an easy view. And then you can "center" it.
                    Already posted a few times, CircusPet!
                    (Reading previous posts allows us to not be so repetitive that we come across too strongly or insincere...)
                    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Lincslady
                      Brigadier General

• Jan 2006

Hi Pemdas21,

Your doing a great job so far, first of all i would suggest that you set your page guides and set your page width to 800, then people wont have to scroll sideways ...if you click on my link below this will fix it for you :o)

If this is what you can do as a first timer then I cant wait to see the finished product ...read all the advice and help given to you from the good people on here and you will have a fabulous website ;o)

Well done
                      Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
                      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

• pemdas21
                        Special Status

• May 2006

thanks lincslady. That was a HUGE compliment. It will take me a while to make changes because I just put up a new section about the cardboard boat race. (go look for yourself)

Comment

• Lincslady
                          Brigadier General

• Jan 2006

Hi Pemdas21

That looks like its going to be a great fun day!...:o)....dont forget to set those page guides ;o)

How to Center your page

Comment

• pemdas21
                            Special Status

• May 2006

I shan't... (thats an old contraction) Did you guys see the cardboard boat race stuff? www.electronics4dummies.com/cardyak.htm

Comment

• Lincslady
                              Brigadier General

• Jan 2006

Yes I read it all ...very good and a clever guy who built it... you taking part ?

How to Center your page

Comment

Working...
                              X