X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dream Lady
    Major General

• Feb 2006

Re: Your opinion would be much appreciated!

Looking very nice. I love the simplicity of it all and like the others, the color combinations. I will watch as you progress with your photos. Choco777 mentioned ground and 1st being the same. I don't know about others, but here in Colorado, USA, the ground floor is in the ground to some degree and the 1st floor is on the ground. If floor is completely underground it's a basement. But hey, I don't think it makes a big difference. I think most people where ever they are from would know. Keep up the great work!
    Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• soolondonhouse
      Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by choco777
      The site is very nice. It is clean and easy to get around and the colors go well with each other. I did not like the yellow hi-lites. The other thing is, if you are ever expecting American,Canadian and who know what other nationalities on business stays, the first floor is the ground floor. I believe that is right. At least it was odd sounding to me. No big deal I'm sure most americans will finally figure it out.
      You have a great idea and a site coming along great.
      The yellow hi-lites now changed - like it better?^^
      A fair point re. the floor. A few guests from America and Canada metioned it already - didn't seem to confuse them though. In fact, they know about London much more than me (and I am supposed to be a londoner)
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

• soolondonhouse
        Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

All the points made here re.my website were very helpful. Thanks again.

What David pointed out 'The rectangle behind your menu bar needs to be moved down a little as its covering up your horizontal image', if I'm not mistaken, it is due to the selected template. My lazy solution - covered the black line with the photo. Didn't want to change the template and do it all over again.

On the booking enquiries page, I sent a test enquiry twice but nothing came through. From my Outlook Express, I can send the email though so Outlook Express is in function. Can I pick anyone's brain here?

Oh, I want to insert 'date format' in website. But how???

Thanks again.

soo

p.s. Is it all right to carry on posting questions here or should I go to other forum? I am trying to look up the relevant section and read more (but with headache!)

Comment

• Marincky
          General

• Apr 2006

There's too many replies on here for me to go through them all so hopefully I won't mention what someone aleady has...

You MUST change your page titles. This is the first thing the search engines pick up on. So "Home Page" "About Us" etc etc means nothing to them. Not sure what your website is about but whatever it is get that in the page title. So... If you sell "Herbal flavoured dog collars" then title your page "Herbal flavoured dog collars" etc.... Otherwise good attempt for first site, you will pick up on the rest of it as time goes by, I think I rebuilt my first ever website about 10 times before I liked it!

By the way... "Herbal flavoured dog collars" ????? I think I might have hit on a new business idea!! Anyone want to lend me a few thousand to get started?
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• soolondonhouse
            Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by Marincky
            There's too many replies on here for me to go through them all so hopefully I won't mention what someone aleady has...

You MUST change your page titles. This is the first thing the search engines pick up on. So "Home Page" "About Us" etc etc means nothing to them. Not sure what your website is about but whatever it is get that in the page title. So... If you sell "Herbal flavoured dog collars" then title your page "Herbal flavoured dog collars" etc.... Otherwise good attempt for first site, you will pick up on the rest of it as time goes by, I think I rebuilt my first ever website about 10 times before I liked it!

By the way... "Herbal flavoured dog collars" ????? I think I might have hit on a new business idea!! Anyone want to lend me a few thousand to get started?
            Hmm.. now I'm worried. Thought my website is quite clear. If it fails to deliver the message out (even to one person), it is not good enough really.

Regarding to search engines, isn't it what the words in Meta tags are for rather than the page title? That's what I understood from the tutorial. Well, mine still not appearing in search engine anyway _-_ need to work on it.

Comment

• Marincky
              General

• Apr 2006

Ok, first of all, I wasn't confused by what your site was about, I just didn't look at that, sorry I have a lot of work on!!

But as far as the page titles go YES it does matter, keywords are important too you are right, but page titles just as much, please trust me on this, I guarantee you that will make a huge difference
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• davidundalicia
                General

• Mar 2006

On the booking enquiries page, I sent a test enquiry twice but nothing came through. From my Outlook Express, I can send the email though so Outlook Express is in function. Can I pick anyone's brain here?

With ref to your question above, why not download the free secure contact page from: http://bluevodaforms.com/

And yes Page TITLES are important.......
                You should always try to use your page title in your TITLE meta tag..

Your site is really coming on.............keep it up.
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                Newbies / Beginners Forum
                FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• soolondonhouse
                  Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hi, David
                  Thanks for your advice. Purely because of the effore I put into, I've decided to stick to the form I created. ^^

Wondering whether anyone can help me with the issues re.Outlook Express - read the relevant forums but still couldn't get it sorted.

1. Sent test emails from my enquiry page using hotmail --> results: not getting them on Outlook Express - getting auto-responders to my hotmail works fine, though.

No problem with sending emails from Outlook Express to hotmail.

2. can anyone direct me to the most relevant and effective forums re. optimising the website in search engine?

Thanks.
                  soo

Comment

• soolondonhouse
                    Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Am going to use other forum for this issue. Hopefully I will get some feedback there _-_

Comment

• davidundalicia
                      General

• Mar 2006

Re your No 1
                      you have email....

re your No 2
                      Do a search on optimization and lots of threads will come up to help you.

good luck
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                      Newbies / Beginners Forum
                      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• soolondonhouse
                        Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Re your No 1
                        you have email....

Thanks again David.
                        Yes, I do have hotmail but thought Outlook Express would be handy.
                        There should be some simple reason why I am not getting emails through Outlook Express (when sending ok plus auto-responding and Horde fine,too). Followed lots of threads on this and quite sure I did all I could.
                        Sweltering London weather not helping at all _-_

Comment

• soolondonhouse
                          Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hi,
                          Could anyone check if the poll on http://www.soolondonhouse.com is working, please?
                          'Tell a Friend' isn't working at the moment so don't worry.
                          Is the website well centered in your browser?
                          Thanks a lot.
                          soo

Comment

• bill2006
                            Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Its working and centered.
                            Bill
                            www.blueearthtea.com
                            www.ftaaconsulting.com
                            www.iaval.com
                            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• soolondonhouse
                              Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Hello,
                              Need to ask you for help again _-_
                              My website visitors are telling me 'the website seems under construction'. - not working very well and photos not loaded. From where I look at it, everything is fine. Would anyone and everyone have a look at it for me and let me know whether you find the same problem?
                              Thanks a lot.
                              soo

Comment

• ez-ez
                                Special Status

• Mar 2006

Hi..

Firstly, before I go into the 'Under Construction' issue, let me make a suggestion.

The header 'Soolondon house' in pink might need to be moved right a few pixels so that it fits inside the grey rectangle.

Now, lets see the 'Under Construction problem'..

Your website seems to be working fine here. Your visitors may be experiencing that problem because you might have had your site index page as 'Under Construction' for some time, so when they perform a search, the old page description might still be displayed by search results. This is because it may take up to a few days before search engines update. I guess, the question is whether your visitors are actually clicking on the link http:soolondonhouse.com.
                                Also, it may be a good idea to ensure that you've uploaded your pages onto the server under the correct names so that the links take your visitors to the right pages.. For example, you might have left the under construction page, or any other old page on the server and your visitors may be seing that page.
                                If all of that seems to be faultless, I would suggest that your visitors tray again shortly. I've heard that in some regions pages are not updated immediately.. even though, technically, this sounds like foolish thing to say, I should not discount it.

Comment

Working...
                                X