Everything herein works just fine....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• islandcrazy
      Major

• Jul 2006

Re: Finally up!

Oh Julie! I just came back to this thread this morning and just want to give you a big cyberhug! I know what you mean completely! You have a vision of how you want the site to "feel" and worked hard to achieve it only to find out you have to "start over" on some things! BUT i want to tell you I admire that you dove in and tackled the job! I spend so much time reading, worrying, overanalyzing everything before I even get started, that I take forever to get anything accomplished! SO i want you to pat yourself on the back for a FABULOUS start....take a deep breathe and continue doing what you are doing...fixing the "issues" step by step, one at a time.

You are right....the FONTS you chose affect EVERYTHING! It is a BUMMER to be restricted. The second thing is the page size (width of the actual page, not the monitor setting)---fix those two things and then you will be able to fine tune the rest.

Now, if there are places that you want to keep the special font, such as in your logo, your buttons, etc. you can do this with a little extra "work." Build your logo, buttons, etc. with your special font in Photoshop or Paintshop or whatever photo editing program you use. Save them as gifs or jpegs, whichever look the best to you, at the lowest resolution possible (72dpi if you can) and the smallest size possible. Then, when you layout your pages, insert them (like shapes) where you want them. That will keep your fonts EXACTLY how you want the reader to see it.

Then you only need to choose a webfriendly font for the actual text you type in BV. Just choose something like Ariel that is plain and simple. Then your cool font images will really shine!!

Regarding your product shots, they are still loading! (I'm on dial up and it is painfully slow). I will take a look later. REmember, you need to design for the average internet user....and most of them are on dial up and have small screens.

By the way, what browser do you use?
      still working on website!

Comment

• Glitzz
        Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Thankx Islandcrazy, I really appreciate your kind words they are helping me along with some other peoples post to relax a little... Im going to deal with the problems today starting with page size and font.

There is no point in visiting the site until I make my changes today.. Ill let everyone know when I have done that. until then dont waste your time it will look the same.
        Glitzz Original Hand-made Beaded Jewelry, Accessories, and Gifts By Julie Knight of Toronto, Canada. OH YEAH BABY CANADA!!!

Comment

• asirimarco
          Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Hi again, hang in there - we have all been driven crazy by things other people could see and we could not. i have rebuilt and rebuilt one page to fix something i couldn't and still cant see - i.e. letters overlapping. no one mentions it anymore so i hope it is fixed. bv makes things easy but sometimes easy isnt enough it just amounts to persistence and tweaking. tweaking, tweaking! even after the site is done you read or see something new or different and back to building again. your doing great - love the calendar girls. ann
          Ann
          www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
          www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
          www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• kassi59
            Major General

• Nov 2005

Hi Glitzz! Please try not to get offended..I do understand as Ive been through the same feelings. I worked very hard on my site and all proud to have everyone see it and well, at the time and as a sensitive maybe a bit hyper sensitive I read all the critiques as insults...I wanted so to hear wow great job...well although that is in the back of everyones minds (unfortunatly) what seems more important is the correctness of how the site looks to others...
            And you can admit and I had to after wiping the tears away, I am glad to know that there is an issue and the caring people here dont want you to have your site not looked at by others the way you want them to see it.
            Its not just that its "perfect" on your screen and browser, its more important that its viewable to all of the potential customer out there. Myself I have three browsers now that I have a look at when Im judging my looks.
            I find that I have the most problems with IE or AOL..lol...I love my firefox..its alway nice to my site!...hehe
            Now with aol and ie, I can see that your words arent aligned as our wonderfully sweet bookworm Vasili has stated or overstated, hes only trying to help, he doesnt want to discourage. But there is issues there...
            Now on my favorite firefox, the second page is aligned wonderfully, the first is still a bit jumbled..and page loading is slow...
            These arent to critisize, they are a way to help you with making your site the best it can be!
            And I want to end with ... I personally think your site is really cool. I love the 50's girl style...great idea!...I think after we get you all aligned..your going to be very happy with the results as youve already come up with fantastic ideas!....
            good luck and email me if you want some advice..actually lincs knows more!....lol...but Im nice tooo!....hahaa..

Comment

• Glitzz
              Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by kassi59
              Hi Glitzz! Please try not to get offended..I do understand as Ive been through the same feelings. I worked very hard on my site and all proud to have everyone see it and well, at the time and as a sensitive maybe a bit hyper sensitive I read all the critiques as insults...I wanted so to hear wow great job...well although that is in the back of everyones minds (unfortunatly) what seems more important is the correctness of how the site looks to others...
              And you can admit and I had to after wiping the tears away, I am glad to know that there is an issue and the caring people here dont want you to have your site not looked at by others the way you want them to see it.
              Its not just that its "perfect" on your screen and browser, its more important that its viewable to all of the potential customer out there. Myself I have three browsers now that I have a look at when Im judging my looks.
              I find that I have the most problems with IE or AOL..lol...I love my firefox..its alway nice to my site!...hehe
              Now with aol and ie, I can see that your words arent aligned as our wonderfully sweet bookworm Vasili has stated or overstated, hes only trying to help, he doesnt want to discourage. But there is issues there...
              Now on my favorite firefox, the second page is aligned wonderfully, the first is still a bit jumbled..and page loading is slow...
              These arent to critisize, they are a way to help you with making your site the best it can be!
              And I want to end with ... I personally think your site is really cool. I love the 50's girl style...great idea!...I think after we get you all aligned..your going to be very happy with the results as youve already come up with fantastic ideas!....
              good luck and email me if you want some advice..actually lincs knows more!....lol...but Im nice tooo!....hahaa..
              Trust me I know what constructive critisism is I took university level art courses all through high school and I work as a graphic designer.. its basically all I hear.. I wasnt really crying LOL i was having an emotional breakdown.

I just didnt see why whats his face had to talk that way.. he came off as pompas and errogant like he was dissgusted with the site or something..

n e ways who cares about that now..

I fixed up the main page.. how bout letting me know how its lookin before I go on to the 100 others!! Im planning to make the buttons custom in the future but for now i just want things to work.. i made the screwy up text images so now yall can see what i was seein!

thank you all for your kind words and encouragment i needed it. ill be fixing up the other pages today for as long as it takes me so please ignore those for now they wont be any different.
              Glitzz Original Hand-made Beaded Jewelry, Accessories, and Gifts By Julie Knight of Toronto, Canada. OH YEAH BABY CANADA!!!

Comment

• Glitzz
                Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

oh one other thing.. people were complaining about the pictures.. one thing in case yall didnt know when you click on the image from the main merchandise page for example earrings.. it takes you to the items personal page you can then click on that image again.. which gives you a larger version again did yall reaslise that? my boyfriend, friends, other people from other sites that i know said there images are pretty much the same.. I thought after maybe people didnt realise that was a thumbnail...

Also Vasali or whatever said there was a colour icon at the bottom of the main page and to lose it... thats my sitemeter icon.. i wont "lose it" because its the counter to my site..

Comment

• Glitzz
                  Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by islandcrazy
                  Oh Julie! I just came back to this thread this morning and just want to give you a big cyberhug! I know what you mean completely! You have a vision of how you want the site to "feel" and worked hard to achieve it only to find out you have to "start over" on some things! BUT i want to tell you I admire that you dove in and tackled the job! I spend so much time reading, worrying, overanalyzing everything before I even get started, that I take forever to get anything accomplished! SO i want you to pat yourself on the back for a FABULOUS start....take a deep breathe and continue doing what you are doing...fixing the "issues" step by step, one at a time.

You are right....the FONTS you chose affect EVERYTHING! It is a BUMMER to be restricted. The second thing is the page size (width of the actual page, not the monitor setting)---fix those two things and then you will be able to fine tune the rest.

Now, if there are places that you want to keep the special font, such as in your logo, your buttons, etc. you can do this with a little extra "work." Build your logo, buttons, etc. with your special font in Photoshop or Paintshop or whatever photo editing program you use. Save them as gifs or jpegs, whichever look the best to you, at the lowest resolution possible (72dpi if you can) and the smallest size possible. Then, when you layout your pages, insert them (like shapes) where you want them. That will keep your fonts EXACTLY how you want the reader to see it.

Then you only need to choose a webfriendly font for the actual text you type in BV. Just choose something like Ariel that is plain and simple. Then your cool font images will really shine!!

Regarding your product shots, they are still loading! (I'm on dial up and it is painfully slow). I will take a look later. REmember, you need to design for the average internet user....and most of them are on dial up and have small screens.

By the way, what browser do you use?
                  I use internet explorer by the way..

Comment

• kassi59
                    Major General

• Nov 2005

[quote=Glitzz]Trust me I know what constructive critisism is I took university level art courses all through high school and I work as a graphic designer.. its basically all I hear.. I wasnt really crying LOL i was having an emotional breakdown.

I just didnt see why whats his face had to talk that way.. he came off as pompas and errogant like he was dissgusted with the site or something..

n e ways who cares about that now..

I fixed up the main page.. how bout letting me know how its lookin before I go on to the 100 others!! Im planning to make the buttons custom in the future but for now i just want things to work.. i made the screwy up text images so now yall can see what i was seein!

No worries...didnt mean anything by my statements hon, just doing my best attempt to have you feel more comfortable..thas all..
                    Now on firefox, its fantastic! everything in perfect order..
                    AOL its still jumbled..
                    IE - perfect!!!!.......
                    cool good job girl!
                    ignore what I personally see on AOL tho as I know that when Im updating my site, seems aol takes a while to catch up...so there is a vote of two and more than likely three!...three out of three is a good thing!...
                    Very good...Id say keep on doing what your doing!...
                    like I said I personally have all three so as I can check on all of them. I have been told that IE is the one that most use and to go by that..so I just try my best with that one!
                    If you dont want your stats counter visible there are invisible ones. If you want to grab one let me know.

Comment

• islandcrazy
                      Major

• Jul 2006

FABULOUS! AWESOME! LOVE IT! Your homepage looks GREAT! I have IE and a very slow dial-up and it popped up MUCH MUCH better and looks wonderful! I love the way you did the fonts....before I couldn't even see them, just letters scattered around...but you know that (font issue) LOL! I'm so excited for you! You have accomplished much today!

Now...regarding the pages with your photos...I for sure wasn't saying those were bad....i was just saying I couldn't even see them....because after 3minutes of loading the "earrings" page, I had to give up because there was only a tiny bit of your wallpaper loaded (which is AWESOME btw) and the empty boxes, text, prices. So, I can't really say about the photos themselves, but I did realize they were thumbnails.

Ulitimately you have to build a site that YOU like ... but of course, one that can be viewed by most people. I think you are going to have an AWESOME site.....the home page alone is unique, charming and very, very well designed.

Just get that load time down on your wallpapers and I think the rest of your battle will be tiny!!! You deserve some CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Comment

• Glitzz
                        Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

FABULOUS! AWESOME! LOVE IT! Your homepage looks GREAT! I have IE and a very slow dial-up and it popped up MUCH MUCH better and looks wonderful! I love the way you did the fonts....before I couldn't even see them, just letters scattered around...but you know that (font issue) LOL! I'm so excited for you! You have accomplished much today!

Now...regarding the pages with your photos...I for sure wasn't saying those were bad....i was just saying I couldn't even see them....because after 3minutes of loading the "earrings" page, I had to give up because there was only a tiny bit of your wallpaper loaded (which is AWESOME btw) and the empty boxes, text, prices. So, I can't really say about the photos themselves, but I did realize they were thumbnails.

Ulitimately you have to build a site that YOU like ... but of course, one that can be viewed by most people. I think you are going to have an AWESOME site.....the home page alone is unique, charming and very, very well designed.

Just get that load time down on your wallpapers and I think the rest of your battle will be tiny!!! You deserve some CHOCOLATE!!!!!
                        THANKX that makes me feel a lot better!! i wasnt refering to you two when i was talking about the site counter or the pictures...I have that site counter cause i like it lol and i have the option with sitemeter to show the hits but i like that icon better.. someone had said "whats that colour icon in the corner lose it" i was just explainin why it was there.. wasnt towards you.. :D it was also other peoples posts that were saying the pictures were to small and had bad res or whatever I was just sayin i wasnt sure if they thought that because they were viewing the thumbnail as the actual picture instead of clicking on it to make it bigger. The pictures might be loading slow for you because they are high res pictures.. not sure if i should change that tho.. I havnt got to the merchandise pages yet. ill takle those now that i know the main sites are ok..

thankx again ladies.. this is a womans site anyways why are all these guys worryin bout it!??!!? get lost men!

Comment

• islandcrazy
                          Major

• Jul 2006

OK GUYS! She really didn't mean it!!! Honestly...please don't go away.....we need you and like you!! She just meant that it's a girly store....she is just in SHOCK from having to redo her entire site!!!!! Hee hee hee!!!

Now Julie, you know in the end, you will be glad "the guys" pointed out the problems....i am very good at cheerleading...and not so good at tech support...we each have to do what we are good at....so as hard as it is...listen to them and then eat more chocolate!! LOL LOL

Eventually you will have to address the photo sizes...you will loose alot of customers if they have to wait too long. But don't worry, run a few of them through the pixresizer to shave off some extra pixels and you will have a dramatically faster site.........AND MORE SALES!!!

Comment

• asirimarco
                            Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

boy you have done a lot of work - i use IE and the only page i see a problem on is Barefoot Sandals - the SANDALS in the heading overlaps the first three words in the text - maybe just slide the text section down a line or two - ann
                            www.movingon1.com
                            Ann
                            www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
                            www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
                            www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

• Glitzz
                              Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Originally posted by asirimarco
                              boy you have done a lot of work - i use IE and the only page i see a problem on is Barefoot Sandals - the SANDALS in the heading overlaps the first three words in the text - maybe just slide the text section down a line or two - ann
                              www.movingon1.com
                              I havn't fixed those pages yet.. it they might be showing ok.. but there acually really not because of the "font issue" lol All that i have fixed is the main page and the links on the top menu bar (main pages) the merchandise pages I tackle tomorrow!!

Comment

• Lincslady
                                Brigadier General

• Jan 2006

OK GUYS! She really didn't mean it!!! Honestly...please don't go away.....we need you and like you!! She just meant that it's a girly store....she is just in SHOCK from having to redo her entire site!!!!! Hee hee hee!!!

Now Julie, you know in the end, you will be glad "the guys" pointed out the problems....i am very good at cheerleading...and not so good at tech support...we each have to do what we are good at....so as hard as it is...listen to them and then eat more chocolate!! LOL LOL

Eventually you will have to address the photo sizes...you will loose alot of customers if they have to wait too long. But don't worry, run a few of them through the pixresizer to shave off some extra pixels and you will have a dramatically faster site.........AND MORE SALES!!!
                                Lol Island...your post cracked me up!
                                Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
                                http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

Working...
                                X