• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pemdas21
    Special Status

• May 2006

Trying to get a theme...

Okay, I have posted this site a few times, but I am in need of some ideas to continue my theme on www.electronics4dummies.com . If anyone has any ideas, please help. I appreciate it. And thanks voda, for making everything so simple. :)
  • bill2006
    Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Re: Trying to get a theme...

Are you considering a change? How about dropping the dark grey background for something more in tune with your page. Look at the templates, there are some good ones in there. Or make you own related to electronics.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

MS/IBM "blue" works well for computers & electronics, dove grey is good for "tech," and charcoal (borders/boxes/highlights) is good for a "store enviornment"....

As far as a theme? You should visit other similar sites to note the simple layouts, how they feature, means of emphasis, and then list all the "items" you wish to include in your site.......usually, the scope and type of content "force" a format, and choosing colors and details is a personal choice. Most people don't get this far though - they don't have either a real business or website plan to refer structural development to, let alone be able to accomodate variation or refinements "based on a theme"....

personal opinion, of course!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• pemdas21
        Special Status

• May 2006

what is the #000000 thing for ms/ibm blue? by the way... is that a compliment? I sort of took it as one, but I am not sure...

Comment

• pemdas21
          Special Status

• May 2006

Wait, I want the rgb, not the hex...

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

(yes)
            in BV: h:140, s:240, l:176, r:119, g:187, b:255.........

Comment

• pemdas21
              Special Status

• May 2006

thanks.. my temporary page (the one I am testing) is here www.electronics4dummies.com/temp.htm

Comment

• pemdas21
                Special Status

• May 2006

so, does anyone like the temp page?

Comment

• bill2006
                  Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Looks much better. Play with it.
                  -Place the Google adsense bar on the right of the screen, it is stealing your page.
                  -Aardvak to the bottom of the page.
                  -Give your text messages inside the boxes a bit more left/right margins so they don't crowd the edges.
                  -Leave the chip design where it is or smack in the center above your header "Electronics...."
                  Bill
                  www.blueearthtea.com
                  www.ftaaconsulting.com
                  www.iaval.com
                  www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• pemdas21
                    Special Status

• May 2006

alright, here is what it looks like now... *looks ashamed" http://www.electronics4dummies.com/temp.htm

Comment

• islandcrazy
                      Major

• Jul 2006

hmmmm....i'm not sure what I think. It is great that you want to put a "theme" to your pages...I think that is very important!

But I really liked the way you had it before...although it was a little bit "chrom-y".....but then, that's what I think about electronics. Before, it looked like a site where someone was really an "electronic expert" ....very professional and crisp. But it did need a little "splash" of color somewhere.

But when I looked at the "new"colorful page....i just wasn't sure what it was about. I LOVE lots of color ordinarily..and I can see why you want to add some color to your site....but this new style just doesn't seem "right" for some reason. The colors are "tropical" but the style of the menu bar and your logo picture don't fit those colors.
                      It doesn't look as "professional" to me...which is what I would NEED cause I'm an electronic dummy!!! LOL

Have you thought about going back to the "grey" style you had before with maybe a very "steel" shade of green for a background? A light green, but not a pastel. That would blend so nicely with your grey buttons. You could still do the "gradient" of colors, but stay in shades of green, or shades of "steel blue"...dark to light...

i just think too many colors make it confusing.

Then, if you want, put in a bar of red or burgundy here and there for your columns, etc. for just a splash of color....Just a suggestion......

You are doing great and i love your menu bar!
                      still working on website!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

(Don't be ashamed....every bit of work you put in demonstrates your quest for perfection, something VodaHost makes possible for each of us!)

I think the suggestion of reverting back to the "techno" diamond plate/steel look would be fine....IF it is kept at 800 wide, with a dove grey background. Just try to keep it from being so "dark" overall. *Wherever you have text on your "page" (like in your manuals), it would be best if they had a white background - better for copy/paste or download/print by visitors.

And, honestly, your use of the table smack dab in the center of your Home page needs to be re-thought......right now, it is simply too big across the page, and is not "special" enough to either attract the attention it deserves, or is written succiently to convey an 'invitation'(?) to enter/link with.... Maybe a simplified "list" or series of smaller "boxed ads" would be better? Think of it as your "Categories" of Content and maybe my perspective might make more sense.

Which...leads into the relationship to your Menu and links setup. Having your most important links as buttons across the top is fine, if they are of relational value: I can see them being "Home" "About Us" "Contact Us" "Our Forum" etc. Then to the left, I would then list vertically links such as "Product Reviews" "User Guides" "Tips & Tweaks" etc.....this gives you an "L" shaped links header "frame"....
                        This gives a visitor a better understanding of what you are and what they can find of interest...hence, your "theme"
                        And...back to the center "table/links"....then this section can be where you can post your mini-highlights (newest review?), hot topics (maybe as found in your Forum?), current issues (to be found in "News"), etc.

Building a theme is more than colors and shapes...it is the overall impression and organization of what your site is all about. Your Main page should represent the functionality of an "Index" to your site with the demonstrated continuity to inspire the visitor to drill in deeper.

Again...in my opinion...

Comment

• islandcrazy
                          Major

• Jul 2006

Vasili wrote: "Building a theme is more than colors and shapes...it is the overall impression and organization of what your site is all about. Your Main page should represent the functionality of an "Index" to your site with the demonstrated continuity to inspire the visitor to drill in deeper."

Absolutley and well said!! But, I still think that VISUAL IMPACT out-trumps organization......color sets the mood and tone and "feeling" of the site, shapes are the visual impact that makes it flow...or not! Of course, being an "art" person, I would take well done visual impact over content any day! If a person can't "look" at your site, then they probably won't stay long enough to read the content. Remember, websites are 99.9 percent VISUAL (sensory) experiences and if you don't make your "impact" immediately with color and visual elements, chances are, you loose your audience. After all, you wouldn't watch a movie on a blank screen no matter how good the narration is.

You only have a few seconds to make a visual first impression....THEN if the viewer is "pulled in" or the mood is set...they will stay to read the rest of your theme....so tweaking the organization is very important.

Just a thought! Keep up the good work pemdas! You have a great site!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Not to mince words, but my emphasis was on "overall impression" and "organization"....and I started out with the agreement that a toned down version of his original color shceme would do just that.....
                            I wholeheartedly agree (and am known for 'hammering the concept in'): The "total picture" needs be crafted with care...the first seconds of a visitor's impressions are critical to maintain "engagement"...and to cut corners on logical purpose/navigation (organization) is to commit online suicide!

Comment

• islandcrazy
                              Major

• Jul 2006

sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X