My 1st. what u think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st. what u think?

this site is being built about my family. when it is finished it could be compared to some kinda family tree or something. It is not completed because i dont have enough pics for each family member.
    Be honest, I am willing to learn and correct problems on my site.

thanx

http://www.thegreateight.net
    www.thegreateight.net

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Re: My 1st. what u think?

Great idea !
    You'll find a few genealogy buffs in here. Your links (most of them) work and the magnifier is a good idea.
    Suggestions:
    -Black is elegant and way too formal for your family tree. The background will steal from the more importnat elements i.e. family.
    -Consider centering your pages. Right click page properties and check the center in browswer button.
    -There are several vertical lines under the photos, what are they?
    -Guests, Admin and Links do not work yet.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

the vertical lines on my photos page are actually pics. I moved my pics on my flash drive and have not republished the page yet.
      the links you say dont work yet? they seem to b working good when i view it

the reason I chose black as a background is because the actual pics have a black background, this way they would blend in. the only program i have available to use is Microsoft Paint to edit pics.

Wow, that center in browser makes a huge difference. I assume this will center the page in everybodys browser and also in different types of browsers?

thanx
      www.thegreateight.net

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

What color do you think would look best? I try to stay away from white cuz it gives be headaches, or maybe I shouldn't sit at the computer so long.
        www.thegreateight.net

Comment

Yes, it does look much better and centering will work for all browsers.

-Pics taken care of, when you republish they should appear. Consider downloading Paint.Net it's a free program and easy to use. Go to *****'s post: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/rev...ighlight=paint

-The links I mentioned do not work from The Vault. By the way, having the Site Map follow you as you scroll is neat.

-Color: this is about family, use a lighter tone, tans and blues are good. Light grey too. Consider an image or old photo as a watermark (say and old world map) save it as a *jpeg or *gif and then as a template. It really is personal taste.

Also, if pictures get too large, consider PixResizer, also a free tool.
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

thank you sir.
            Looks i have a lot of work to do
            www.thegreateight.net

Comment

You've done a lot of work, the rest is just minor tweaking. Have fun.
              Bill
              www.blueearthtea.com
              www.ftaaconsulting.com
              www.iaval.com
              www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Aloha, I think black is too harsh a background for showcasing a loving family tree. The scrolling is too fast. It will look great when you have more photos and descriptions. Keep up the good work!!
                www.hawaiionyourown.com

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.
                  It's a lot of work and at times frustrating. I have changed the background and made some major changes. I downloaded Paint.net and it seems to help a lot. Im sure there are some more things needed to be changed so let me know what you think.

www.thegreateight.net
                  www.thegreateight.net

Comment

Looks good,

Much better than black background.try other options too.
                    Your pics show now. The link to Adams (from Vault) is not working.
                    Bill
                    www.blueearthtea.com
                    www.ftaaconsulting.com
                    www.iaval.com
                    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Nice site with great potential.
                      I would add some more info on the home page about what you can find inside the site to get the attention and make visitors want to ENTER.
                      I'd put it just above the enter button you have
                      Bruce Hewitt
                      YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...
                      IT MIGHT AS WELL BE TODAY!

http://www.panzoomproperties.com
                      http://www.thebabydolls.biz
                      bruce@webbrok.com

Comment

Wow! YOu have completely redone your site from when you first posted it about a month ago! I really like it! I liked the old one, too! What a blessing you are to your family! We just had our family reunion and when I mentioned I was learning to build sites, they all wanted one for our family (although I told them they would all me in heaven before I would finsh it cause I'm so slow! LOL)! Seeing yours is an inspiration!

I did have alot of trouble getting it to load on my STUPID DIAL UP...so I couldn't see it all. it kept timing out on me. Perhaps most of your family members have high speed internet though, so I may not be a problem for them.

Keep up the good work!
                        still working on website!

Comment

How do you make pages load faster for people using dial-up, or is there anything I can do?

How can i quote other messages in my replys? I tried using the check box below the quick reply but nothing happened
                          www.thegreateight.net

Comment

Not a lot more that you can do, you have already reduced the pic sizes to a very manageable size. You might want to consider eliminating the transition between pages but I don't know if this will help that much and it will take away from your pages.
                            Your best bet is to ask family members what they use. Good luck.
                            Bill
                            www.blueearthtea.com
                            www.ftaaconsulting.com
                            www.iaval.com
                            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

ok. one more thing?
                              I have looked everywhere for a family tree template or something i can use in my site, but have had no luck finding one. Does anyone know where i can find one i can publish to my site?
                              www.thegreateight.net

Comment

Working...
                              X