• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coffeegourmet
    Second Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Make Voda Pages on Two Computers

It would be nice to be able to make your Blue Voda pages, complete with graphics, on two different computers, than be able to send them to the other one.

I know I am probably not the only one out there who has more than one computer they work on. But I can only design my pages on my main computer so I can publish them all at once.
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!
  • SherylT
    Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Re: Make Voda Pages on Two Computers

Hi, "Coffee"!

Love you site, very well done. As soon as my supply of "free" Gevalia coffee is gone, I'm going to try your French Vanilla!

I'm in the same situation as you, working BV to get off StoresOnline. I'm almost there. Hopefully by the end of the month.

I think I saw a post elsewhere on this forum about running BV on two machines. I'd like to be able to work on my laptop once in a while instead of being tied to my desk. I think someone said download the BV program to second computer and then copy files in BV on first computer and open/save them on second computer. You'd just have to remember to save files back and forth so that both BV folders have the same information in them.

I bought a 1 GB USB Flash Drive so that I could try and do this next weekend.

Getting away from a desk and working from a lounge chair outside would make the re-building go faster don't you think?
    Sheryl Tupa
    Cust-M-Cartoons -- 10% Discount Code: "FORUM"
    Personalized Cartoons For Everyone and Personalized Music CDs for Kids
    New Baby Cartoons
    Personalized Cartoons to announce your new arrival!
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic
    Specializing in unique children & pet portraiture

Comment

• larazovich
      General

• Jul 2006

It doesn't have to bea problematic using tow computers, but you have to be VERY careful when you copy your stuff from laptop back, or whatever, that any images you use are saved following exactly the same path to folders in both, or you will get into trouble. That is the biggest issue I know of, and if you are diligent about this, you can just transfer your material using a USB, as Sheryl said.
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• coffeegourmet
        Second Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Originally posted by larazovich
        It doesn't have to bea problematic using tow computers, but you have to be VERY careful when you copy your stuff from laptop back, or whatever, that any images you use are saved following exactly the same path to folders in both, or you will get into trouble. That is the biggest issue I know of, and if you are diligent about this, you can just transfer your material using a USB, as Sheryl said.
        Larazovich,

I don't really understand what you mean by making sure that images are saved to the same path, I know they save to the blue voda folder but when I try and email them, it does not work, I lose the images.

If you could clarify this, maybe it could help me out!

Cheryl,

I like your site too! Very cute stuff, do you ship to Canada? I am going to be an uncle in a couple weeks for the first time. My store is still you know where but I moved the domain last night, and am signed up with Voda now. You can go to http://www.ccwenterprises.biz to see my first Voda site! :) As soon the domain is moved to Go Daddy, and I get the pages done, I will kill the other one and move here. I should have it done by the end of the month so I can quit paying the high fees!

BTW, I need my signature changed now that I am coming for sure, do you know how to do that? I have disabled it for now!

http://www.mycoffeegourmet.com coming to Voda soon!!!

http://www.ccwenterprises.biz my first Voda site, my company website.
        My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Comment

• Bethers
          Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

I have explained this to you.

When you work in BV, it is calling up the pictures from where they reside ON THE COMPUTER you are CURRENTLY using. If you switch computers, those pictures may or may not be on the other computer - so you need to have a folder on both computers with all the pictures. The folder has to have the same identical name - so that when the program calls up the pictures, it finds them in the same place you gave it originally.

In some computers, it will not give the identical path, so you have to be very careful. You might want to have all the pictures on an external device and plug it into both computers when you work - and usually the path to the external device is the same.

You went in and disabled your signature - go in and change it :) - same place you made it orgininally - upper left - user cp.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• larazovich
            General

• Jul 2006

thanks Beth, I didn't know exactly how to explain this...
            Liz
            www.sebastopolparty.com
            www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Liz, you did good - I'm not sure how much better I did - point is - he can't ask a computer to find a picture that isn't there :)
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SherylT
                Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

"Coffee":

I will be shipping to Canada, but just haven't input that information into shopping cart yet.

One thing I forgot to mention about your site is when the pages transition into the next, they jump from side to side. Right click in blank page area and get Page Properties and make sure all your page widths are the same. Mine are set at 800. Also, check "center in browser box". I had this problem for a while too.
                Sheryl Tupa
                New Baby Cartoons
                Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Comment

• coffeegourmet
                  Second Lieutenant

• Feb 2007

Beth,

Okay I get what you are saying... but the pictures I have are on both computers in the exact same folders as the other one. That is what is confusing me. I now have everything on my main one so I can publish easily. But I guess I could try putting everything into a seperate folder on each and see if that will work. There is a bunch of pictures that I don't use anymore anyways!

Cheryl:

Not too sure what you mean, but my coffee site is still on you know where. I am waiting for the domain to transfer to go daddy, than I will be publishing. It should be soon, I only have I think 3 more pages to go.
                  Let me know about shipping to Canada, I just might get my nephew something. You know, you scratch my back, I scratch yours! *LOL*

Comment

• TrickyRick
                    First Sergeant

• Feb 2007

I purchased a SDram card which I slip into a dumb drive type adapter, plug it in my USB and I work from it, not from the hard drives on my Laptop nor my desktop. I created a folder on the ram drive called deepsouthrides and built my subfolders beneath it. I installed BV on both systems so when I get ready to work wherever, I point to my ram drive to open a file. You can also set BV to default (session dependent) to that drive for every open of a file.

Works great and there is no speed problem when publishing my images from it.

You can buy the ram drives in 1gb, 2gb and I believe a 4gb now so no problem with space. If you have seen my site, I have all of those images and then some on my 2gb ram drive with room to spare.
                    It can be a great day but it's your choice!

Rick
                    P.S. Don't let the world pass you by, ride out ahead of it on a motorcycle!

http://www.deepsouthrides.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Chris, If one of your computers calls the file "My Document" then "My Pictures" then whatever going down - and the other one by default names My Documents" (notice the s) or any other simple little thing differently - going all the way down to the actual folders the pictures are in - the 2nd computer will not see the picture. That is what I mean when I say the path must be identical.

For example - if the path on your main computer is:
                      C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Pictures\Coffee Pictures\coffee1_sm.jpg
                      and on the other it might be:
                      C:\Documents and Settings\My Computer\My Documents\My Pictures\Coffee Pictures\coffee1_sm.jpg

These have 2 distinctly different paths - and if you put the pic in using the first, then open it on the 2nd computer - it cannot find the picture.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• SherylT
                        Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Sorry Coffee,

The template looked like a BV one when I clicked on the link. I guess you must have Storebuilder 5.0. I have 4.0 and can't do a lot of the things you are doing now. (I still like BV much, much better!)
                        Sheryl Tupa
                        New Baby Cartoons
                        Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

OMG!

If you have all of your BV resources (BV Folder, other folders that contain pictures, etc.) on your "C:\My Documents\" drive in your 'first' computer, copy each and every pertinent folder you NEED to transfer onto your media (CD, FlashMem, etc.) one at a time, and COPY TO the very same destination on the second computer.....
                          (You will see red "X's" on the images on ppreviously published BV pages when you first open the 2nd computer BV files, but you need merely re-save them and re-publish them to "restore" everything as resident)

Rick's technique of sharing an external is sound, yet may cause some difficulty should that single resource be "lost" or damaged (let alone fail), so I prefer to double-default by actively "creating" on a single desktop which is immediatly backed up to an external, and using the same method above, use my 2G stick to "bring home my webs" to my laptop which has been configured in "mirror" fashion.....
                          Additionally, if you want to be really slick, you can always "back up" via cP FTP to your own account after establishing an innocuous 'Folder' to store it in >> this makes your resources available to you anywhere in the world, from any system (even those that are not yours, providing you can download to them even a temporary copy of BV to run). Kind of like have a VodaHost version of "BV-Anywhere", right??
                          ** Be careful though, as Terms of Service strictly forbid using your account as an "archive" or "data dump"!!!
                          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• TrickyRick
                            First Sergeant

• Feb 2007

Vasili,

Has an excellent idea in pushing the files up to your FTP site, never thought of that. I back my stick memory up to each machine depending on which one I am working with. That way I have my most recent changes on my stick ram and on the system I am working on and I have files 1 revision back on the other machine. But I like the idea of pushing them out to my FTP site as a backup much better.

I love these forums, you learn so much here. Thanks Vasili for your invaluable information.
                            It can be a great day but it's your choice!

Rick
                            P.S. Don't let the world pass you by, ride out ahead of it on a motorcycle!

http://www.deepsouthrides.com

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

No problem, Rick.....just a matter of thinking (seems to be less and less of that going on these days, or am I alone in this observation? Maybe it's just another sign of being over 40? LOL).

>> Be sure to always use the FTP tool via your VodaHost Control Panel (in File Manager) and NOT Blue FTP that is in Blue Voda........
                              the differences are significant and too lengthy to detail here.
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X