• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christi B
    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

uses for CP

HI

With reading all the problems with publishing and instructions about deleting old public_html files and republishing etc ....I am becoming very confuesd. Some poaple say not to use CP until your website is complete...so when do you use CP ? Is it actually necessary to use it when building your pages and publishing?

I am disappointed in Bluevoda at this point with so old versions of my updated pages on the web and all the confusing instructions on deleting files here and there. I had hoped for it all to be cleaner that that and more staright forward. Am I expecting too much?

• jcaywood
    Major

• Dec 2007

Re: uses for CP

I'm fairly new but I'm not sure what you are expecting?
    I've never heard anything about not using CP until you site is finished. Most sites are dynamic - you're never finished with them. I have read people warning to be careful in the control panel because you might delete things you don't want deleted. You would need to go to CP or use FTP to upload some items which are not published such as a sitemap .xml file, or if you have a .doc or .pdf on your site, but images, pages, etc (which is probably most of what you might have) are just published.
    If you are merely making changes on a page and keeping the same page name, there is no need to delete anything. When you republish the revised page it will overwrite the old page. Google does store pages in a their cache and that may be what you are seeing. It will take time for them to catch the change and you may see the old, cached page. But the new page will be live on the web. BV is a website builder and has nothing to do with cached pages from Google or even an individual's computer (which will also store pages in its memory).
    If you change a page name, you may want to delete it or, perhaps even better, if it replaces another page, redirect the old page to the new page.
    That way, if someone has bookmarked the old page, when they click on it they will go to the replacement page.
    If you have specific questions, please post them and people will be glad to help.
    Jerry

Great Adult Gag Gifts
    Rockdale, TX - Class of 1965
    Milam County Historical Commission

Comment

• davidundalicia
      General

• Mar 2006

I hardly ever visit my Cpanel....I prefer to use the built in FTP(file transfer program) when checking/copying/deleting/moving of my website files.

I have the bluevoda ftp open most of the time and only conect to my website when required.
      The rest of the time I use it to navigate/open/copy/delete etc the files on my computer...........makes it so much easier.

p.s. In all the time that I have been around these forums, I have only ever seen 1 comment not to use Cpanel until your website is finished.
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Christi B
        Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

HI David,

Whe I go into the Bluevoda FTP ios brings my files up as sub-directories (as I was instructed to put all mu pages for different sites into folders) and nothing is labelled public_html (which people keep referring me to delete the old public_html files and republish). So I am not sure what I should see when I open bluevoda FTP. Any clues on that one?

Comment

• davidundalicia
          General

• Mar 2006

The bv ftp program will always open with a screen partioned into 2.

The left side contains directories/files ON YOUR COMPUTER......
          The right side will be blank until you click the connect button(top left)

When you are connected to your website it will always open showing all the directories/files in your public_html directory.................

Have a look at the bv ftp video tutorial for a more visual view..........
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Comment

• davidundalicia
            General

• Mar 2006

What problems do you have where you find the need to delete things?¿
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Comment

• Christi B
              Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

You must have missed my previous posts; I have just been updating webpages , improving them, adding stuff. But after I publish them , the old version is the only one showing on the web.

Seems to take forever for any changes to become apparent. Certainly not instant.

Comment

• Christi B
                Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Originally posted by davidundalicia View Post
                The bv ftp program will always open with a screen partioned into 2.

The left side contains directories/files ON YOUR COMPUTER......
                The right side will be blank until you click the connect button(top left)

When you are connected to your website it will always open showing all the directories/files in your public_html directory.................

Have a look at the bv ftp video tutorial for a more visual view..........

Ok thanks for explaining that, it all helps:)

Comment

• Marincky
                  General

• Apr 2006

Christie,

It was me who told you not to use CP until you have finished. But maybe I didn't explain myself properly sorry.

Firstly, the reason I said this to you was that you seemed to be posting about uploading pages and publishing in your CP, I got from your posts that you were a little confused to how to create your site and where CP fitted in, so what I meant to say was forget about your CP for now and concentrate on building your site.

The comment made above about sites never being finished, yes I agree, however I didn't really mean 'Finish' as in 'Finish' .. I meant 'Finish' as in built the majority of your site and had completed every page for now.

So I apologise if this has confused you, it wasn't meant to, I was purely trying to tell you that the CP has very little to do with the actual build that's all.

Although some on here use it for file uploads etc, like David, I too prefer to do all of that with an FTP uploader and Blue FTP, if you know what you are doing and are careful, it is actually much easier.
                  Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• Christi B
                    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                    Christie,

It was me who told you not to use CP until you have finished. But maybe I didn't explain myself properly sorry.

Firstly, the reason I said this to you was that you seemed to be posting about uploading pages and publishing in your CP, I got from your posts that you were a little confused to how to create your site and where CP fitted in, so what I meant to say was forget about your CP for now and concentrate on building your site.

The comment made above about sites never being finished, yes I agree, however I didn't really mean 'Finish' as in 'Finish' .. I meant 'Finish' as in built the majority of your site and had completed every page for now.

So I apologise if this has confused you, it wasn't meant to, I was purely trying to tell you that the CP has very little to do with the actual build that's all.

Although some on here use it for file uploads etc, like David, I too prefer to do all of that with an FTP uploader and Blue FTP, if you know what you are doing and are careful, it is actually much easier.
                    Hi, Don't worry it's often hard to get points across via email. I have gone into blueFTP and conencted today and find that my website pages are not in the public_html folder; the bits and pieces are like images etc for those webpages. I need to publish 2 pages today urgently as I have an articel being published.
                    hate to put this onto you but what should I do given those pages don't appear in the public_html list in blueFTP?

Comment

• davidundalicia
                      General

• Mar 2006

As you have 3 websites listed check that you have published those pages to the correct folder in your main directory...............If you have published, they must have gone somewhere.

If your problem is really urgent......email marinky or myself.
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Comment

• Christi B
                        Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

As you have 3 websites listed check that you have published those pages to the correct folder in your main directory...............If you have published, they must have gone somewhere.

I think I have found it in blueFTP in the upper directory folder and is named index.html. Does that sound right? I might email for help if get stuck. I want to link some pages together now and hope it works.
                        Thank you.

Comment

• davidundalicia
                          General

• Mar 2006

index.html is your website opening/home page...........sounds right.

I will keep an eye on this thread for a while if you need me.
                          Have fun
                          Regards..... David

Comment

• Christi B
                            Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Also do I need to move any files (e.g. other pages of my website) to public_html list of files for them to publish properly?

Comment

• davidundalicia
                              General

• Mar 2006

cant answer that one unless I have access to the site that you are talking about..................you have 3 listed and I dont know which one to check.
                              Have fun
                              Regards..... David

Comment

Working...
                              X