Making Files Downloadable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Files Downloadable

Hello Everyone. Hope you're enjoying building your sites.

I have a quick question:

1. I want to create pdfs and mp3s and video files and market them. I know how to do this part.

2. Would like to know, step by step, how to make these files downloadable for the clients who purchase them.

3. Once they purchase, they will receive the link(s) to listen to/download the file and save to their computer.

Thank you for your "step by step" responses.
    sigpicwww.SuccessYes.com
    www.VeryCheapEasyBiz.com
    www.BiggerFasterMoney.com
    www.DotComNestEggTraining.com
    Mind Movies

Re: Making Files Downloadable

Step 1.) check with Voda Host for the TOS terms of service.

You most likely will need a dedicated server for this.

Its also much easier to use a SHOPPING CART for this service as all the scripts are built in.. including the payment functions and downloads

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks Karen.

1. The files are all mine - so I'm not worried about copyright issues.

2. I believe (from what I'm reading online) it's simply a case of me compressing some of the files (like audio) and uploading into my ftp.

3. Then somehow make the links downloadable via my website. It seems to
      be something simple and easy once you get the hang of it.

4. I just wish BlueVoda had a specific video that walked me through the process.

5. I am aware of the blue ftp video which goes over uploading the file to your ftp.

6. I'm missing the "file url" website connection. Would appreciate help.
      sigpicwww.SuccessYes.com
      www.VeryCheapEasyBiz.com
      Mind Movies

Comment

Successyes: I can't stop to talk about this until later today; you'll probably have an answer by then. But just wanted to say that mp3s and videos already compressed. Even pdf's don't gain much. The only real reason to zip them is so you can offer a folder's worth of things to download--zipping a folder maintains the structure for the convenience of the customer.
        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
          mp3s and videos already compressed
          Video's are not always compressed. At any rate unless you are modifying the .htaccess to force downloads zipping the files will make sure they are downloaded and not played/opened.

1. The files are all mine - so I'm not worried about copyright issues.
          When she pointed you to the TOS, Karen wasn't referring to copyright issues. VodaHost only allows 10% of the files on your website to be any form of media.. if your entire website is focused on delivering media then you will be breaking that rule and your account will be terminated. You would need a dedicated server from VH to bypass this rule

6. I'm missing the "file url" website connection. Would appreciate help.
          Think of the files as just another webpage. In fact any file on your website are in essence the same thing, the only difference is the server tells your browser whether the file should be opened and displayed or downloaded. In the case of a html the browser is told to display, a .zip it downloads. You can actually tell it to download everything including a .html, but thats neither here no there.

Anyway, just upload the files to either your public_html or to organize it, a subdirectory, and then treat it as a webpage, just make sure you use the right extension.

But as Karen said, a shopping cart will be the easiest option. It will protect the files so that they can only be downloaded after payment, people won't be able to download it if they haven't made payment (if you were to just upload it to your website then someone may guess the url, or be told by someone who did make payment, etc).

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thank you all so much.

1. So the shopping cart has the ability to create the downloadable links I need for the clients?

2. Would you happen to have a recommendation or 2 for the right type of shopping cart?

3. By using the shopping cart instead of BlueVoda, I take it I'm free from the 10% media rule?

Thanks again for your prompt and "step by step" responses.
            sigpicwww.SuccessYes.com
            www.VeryCheapEasyBiz.com
            Mind Movies

Comment

1) Some have this functionality, some don't.
              2) I have never used a shopping card script, but there are several available to install via fantastico.
              3) No that doesn't mean you don't have to follow the 10% rule.

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
              X