Captain

• Apr 2006

Confusing Domains

Ok, im not really sure how i can explain this but i'll try

i have several websites
    mini-companies.com
    visionlandscapes.ie
    techinfo-4u.com

now the thing is mini-companies.com is my main domain, and its published from the public_html folder as it was the first domain name i bought

when i bought my other 2 domains i added them as sub-domains and they are published from folders within public_html
    Was this the right thing to do?

why i wonder is because i can access these by entering
    techinfo-4u.mini-companies.com and visionlandscapes.mini-companies.com
    into the address bar and i dont want this if possible as mini-companies.com has nothing to do with them

I also plan to cancel my mini-companies domain name when its expired but i want to keep techinfo-4u.com and visionlandscapes.ie
    How can i set one of these as my main domain?

Thanks and hope i've made some sense, if not feel free to ask me some more questions

Thanks again
    robobobo
    Blog Insomnia.com Blogging Help,Guides & Tips
    Techinfo-4u.com Tech Discussions and Guides
    www.visionlandscapes.ie
    [COLOR=#22229c[/COLOR]
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: Confusing Domains

Did you add them as an addon domain or subdomain. That is to say if you go to just techinfo-4u.com does it show the same as techinfo-4u.mini-companies.com.

To answer your question about the main domain, if you don't renew mini-companies.com, you can still access your control panel through ip, and assuming the answer to my first question is yes, you can view the same thing either way, then your website will continue to work as normal going to it as techinfo-4u.com, but the subdomain will no work.

You can request to have one of the other two set as the main domain, but I believe vodahost has a small fee for this, you may want to wait for a responce from someone who know for sure, or submit a support ticket to the sales department asking if there is a cost.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi,

My thoughts are:

1. Since you purchased all the other domain names, you should add them as "Addon Domains" then scroll down and re-direct to domain name.

This way your url will be www.yournewdomain.com.

2. Each hosting account is allowed only one cPanel and your "public_html/" is set to mini-companies.com. If you allow mini-companies to expire without first resetting your cPanel to use the "NewDomainname" then you will have problem which will affect your other website.

My advice also is for you to submit a support ticket requesting for the resetting for your "NewDomainname" as your main domain before the existing and current main domain expires.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• gramd720
        Corporal

• Oct 2008

Question on addon domains: What can you do with an addon. Could I have www.madjackcreations.com added under my hosting account. would he have his own web pages?

Comment

• Tom Finley
          Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Best to start your own thread, but to answer, you can have any number of add-on websites on your one account. But they MUST be your websites, not someone else's.

Tom
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• robobobo
            Captain

• Apr 2006

Thanks For your reply guys and sorry for my delay in replying

Yes i have added them as add on domains but i also added them as sub domains, i think thats the reason i can get them through
            techinfo-4u.mini-companies.com etc...

So now i have deleted them as sub domains but in doing so i had to delete my add on domains,

Ill re add them and set them up again and see if that solves it,

Ill submit a support ticket about resetting my public html aswell thanks guys
            robobobo
            Blog Insomnia.com Blogging Help,Guides & Tips
            Techinfo-4u.com Tech Discussions and Guides
            www.visionlandscapes.ie
            [COLOR=#22229c[/COLOR]

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Originally posted by gramd720 View Post
              Question on addon domains: What can you do with an addon. Could I have www.madjackcreations.com added under my hosting account. would he have his own web pages?

Hi,

Please dont gatecrash this post. Open your own post so others can attend to you.
              www.siapamoyanganda.com/
              Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
              State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
              X