• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Hughes
    Staff Sergeant

• Jul 2006

Addon Domains

I have recently added several domains to my vodahost domain account and have set dns to my bv account. Webites that have been built are fine and work well. However if I want to view any of my websites listed as addon domains through my browser I can use www.mydomain.com for all domains to access the home (index) pages,but to view other pages without using the navigation bar I have to input www.mydomain.maindomain.com/??????.html.

This is fine but I dont want viewers of my sites to see the main domain as a direction pointer in the browser window. Each of my websites have nothing in common with each other and dont want the sites to be associated with each other in the viewers eyes. Is it possible that I am doing something wrong or is this the only way it will work. Also when transitioning to any pages except the index page, browser uses mydomain.mainaccount.com which means all previous page rankings have dissapeared on all except the index pages.

Thanks
  • C L
    General

• Jul 2006

Re: Addon Domains

Originally posted by John Hughes
    I have recently added several domains to my vodahost domain account and have set dns to my bv account. Webites that have been built are fine and work well. However if I want to view any of my websites listed as addon domains through my browser I can use www.mydomain.com for all domains to access the home (index) pages,but to view other pages without using the navigation bar I have to input www.mydomain.maindomain.com/??????.html.

This is fine but I dont want viewers of my sites to see the main domain as a direction pointer in the browser window. Each of my websites have nothing in common with each other and dont want the sites to be associated with each other in the viewers eyes. Is it possible that I am doing something wrong or is this the only way it will work. Also when transitioning to any pages except the index page, browser uses mydomain.mainaccount.com which means all previous page rankings have dissapeared on all except the index pages.

Thanks
    John, how did you publish index page for new website? What name, because you can't use index again? Sorry for butting in here....I am also interested in the above.

Comment

• FPRob
      Colonel

• Aug 2006

You can have as many index pages as you need as long as they are all in different folders.

for example...

public_html/index.html
      public_html/website1/index.html
      public_html/website2/index.html

without an index page there isnt a way for the new domain name to work properly as each site works in exactly the same way as the original site. when the new domain name is pointing at an addon domain (in the examples above the addon domains are website1 and website2) it needs an index page in exactly the same way as you original site needs an index page.

John i think you may just be waiting for the servers to refresh but you also need to set up the dns names. this is an email i got from George at Voda support....

You update your DNS settings through VBS. Simply log in here:

Go to my sites, then my domains select the new domain name, then
      click change DNS. You will use the below:

ns15.vodahost.com
      ns16.vodahost.com

Changes will take up to 24 hours to take effect. We have updated
      the name servers for you so that you can get started sooner.

FPRULES

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

If you can already see the new domains as www.newdomain.com, the rest of the pages (index apart) are reachable using www.newdomain.com/pagename.html

And that's what will be shown in IE address bar.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• C L
          General

• Jul 2006

I still can't publish on the new domain name, don't know what I am doing wrong, I have read and read.....just not getting it. I have a domain name, and a sub-domain and the folder is there in public html....but how do I publish the first page? What is the name? ie: there can't be two index's, so mixed up here. Keep getting errors.

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

yes, there can be two indexes, because the addon domain has (or should have) it's own folder, both on computer level and on site level.

If f.e. the new domain is called "newdomain.com" and you have added it as addon domain through your CP, a new folder, called "newdomain" has been created inside your public_html folder. That's where you must publish. To accomplish this, in BV, in the "Folder" field of the Publish dialog box, fill in "public_html/newdomain" (without .com or .info etc)
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• C L
              General

• Jul 2006

OK, I'll try it again, thanks for the info, you always have some good input.

Comment

• C L
                General

• Jul 2006

Just wanted to let you know, that it worked! I published on the new domain......thanks ND and Laura.

Comment

• C L
                  General

• Jul 2006

Probably not the place.....Happy Birthday ND.

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Thanks a lot CL.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

• C L
                      General

• Jul 2006

Your welcome, have a good one.

Comment

Working...
                      X