Can I mask voda domain in url??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mask voda domain in url??

I have successfully created add-on domains and published to them. I've changed the DNS at the old host. Almost everything is perfect, except I'd like to mask the main voda domain as displayed on the browser.

What I mean is this: if I enter ww.myolddomainname.com it shows the correct new content as hosted at voda (which would be at www.mynewvodadomain.com/myolddomainname). But when I select a hyperlinked page button the correct content shows but the url now shows the complete path (such as https://www.mynewvodadomain.com/myol...e/example.html).
    I'd like to mask the "mynewvodadomain.com/" part.
    Any suggestions to try or can it be done??
    Thanks
    Adrian
    A-B Technology Group

Re: Can I mask voda domain in url??

Don’t think you can do much about what shows in your address bar, but you can hide what comes up in your browser with this tool. http://www.addme.com/linkcloaker.htm

Good luck

Chris.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by adrianbrookes
      I have successfully created add-on domains and published to them. I've changed the DNS at the old host. Almost everything is perfect, except I'd like to mask the main voda domain as displayed on the browser.

What I mean is this: if I enter ww.myolddomainname.com it shows the correct new content as hosted at voda (which would be at www.mynewvodadomain.com/myolddomainname). But when I select a hyperlinked page button the correct content shows but the url now shows the complete path (such as www.mynewvodadomain.com/myolddomainname/example.html).
      I'd like to mask the "mynewvodadomain.com/" part.
      Any suggestions to try or can it be done??
      Thanks
      If anyone knows, I'd also be interested in knowing if this is possible.

Comment

I'm not sure why it has to look like you're showing at all. My two sites www.achildspalace.com and www.pinatapalace.com are both add on domains - but you only see their names and pages in the browser. It must have something to do with how you're publishing them?
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

I no longer have the problem. The root cause is that I had to change the name servers for the domain name that Vodahost is not the registrar for. Once the name server addresses were changed and verified, I see the domain name as expected.

The other registrar's website explained that they could mask the domain name without me changing name servers but, apparently, that didn't work out to well leading me to change the name servers to the Vodahost ones.

I should have just followed Vodahost's instructions to begin with and avoided these issues.

Anyway, all is well. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Thanks Bethers, I went to your two sites, and when I click on a navigation button that takes me to another page as designed and the base URL stays put: which is exactly what I want to do.

I'll have to dig a little deeper to see what the problem is.

I have verified what TotalDistinction mentioned, I have successfully changed the DNS at my old hosts.

Adrian
            Adrian
            A-B Technology Group

Comment

Bethers, can you tell me what your primary Voda domain is? Are your two add-on domains both registered with Voda or some other registrar?

Adrian
              Adrian
              A-B Technology Group

Comment

None of my published domains are registered with Voda - they are pointed to Voda - my primary domain is www.moxie-enter-prises.com - all my others here are add-on domains.

Are your sites sub-domains or add-on domains? That would possibly be the difference.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by adrianbrookes
                  Thanks Bethers, I went to your two sites, and when I click on a navigation button that takes me to another page as designed and the base URL stays put: which is exactly what I want to do.

I'll have to dig a little deeper to see what the problem is.

I have verified what TotalDistinction mentioned, I have successfully changed the DNS at my old hosts.

Adrian
                  If you just changed your DNS name servers yesterday, you may have to wait up to 72 hours for the changes to propagate across the internet.

A quick way to tell if the changes were successfully done is to type at a command prompt:

nslookup yourdomain.com

If the last IP address says: 74.52.x.x (which belongs to Vodahost),
                  you should be OK. If not, then it's still pointing to someone else's nameservers.

I hope this is clear. I typed this out real quick.

Comment

Thanks again Bethers and TotalDistinction;

I have verified that the DNS is properly changed at the registrar's and its been a couple of weeks since changed. When I go back into the domain maintenance area at the registrar is see the DNS settings are correct.

And the domains are set as Add-on Domains, not sub-domains.

So I have sent a ticket into Voda to try to resolve now.

Thanks again and I'll update the resolution here when its available.

Adrian
                    Adrian
                    A-B Technology Group

Comment

Well, what appears in the address bar is what resides in the hyperlink path. I assumed you had to have the complete path as the page file resides at the host (example: www.yourmaindomain/youraddondomain/filename.html) but you can eliminate the "yourmaindomain" part alltogether. And the "youraddondomain" appears to need the ".com" after it.

So, in the hyperlink path all you need is http://www.youraddondomain.com/filename.html to point at the page you want on your add-on domain.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the quick response at voda too; nice to get things to work perfectly!

Adrian
                      Adrian
                      A-B Technology Group

Comment

That makes sense. Sounds like we had 2 different issues but managed to get them resolved with different solutions.

I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Comment

Sorry - I should have figured how you had typed them - but I'm glad they explained it to you so quickly and you can now get it working properly.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello all,

I'm a new vodahost customer, I have the same "MASK" issue.
                            Example: I need:
                            name.addondomain.com to MASK www.any__domain.com

type: name.Myaddondomain.com
                            appear on the browser: name.Myaddondomain.com
                            actual site: www.any__domain.com

I appreciate your help
                            Thank you

Comment

Working...
                            X