Still confused over redirects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still confused over redirects

I have created my site with a number of sub domains but then because I wanted to protect the names of the sub domains, I bought their domain names as add on domains.

Because I have links and blogs set up through the sub domains I would like to keep that structure, also because there are over 500 pages.

My problem is that both myotherdomain.mydomain.com and myotherdomain.com appear in search engines which I believe is a no no.

I need to either get a permanent redirect put on myothersite.com or delete it without disrupting my site which has taken over a year to build.

I noticed on another post that Naval Design gave out a code for a redirect but am not sure if this is the one I need.

Can anybody give me any help?

Desperately

Dominique
    The womens website that men love to read
    www.yourpower2be.com

Learn to look younger www.facialwizard.com

Re: Still confused over redirects

I beleive that having both your subdomain as well as your domain in SE is not bad at all. However, you can add the newly purchased domain name as addon domain in your account. If during the procedure, you give the wizard as addondomain folder the same folder of your subdomain, the visitore clicking on yourotherdomain.com will automatically get to visit your subdomain. There is no need to use any redirect code.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

You can create a 301 redirect in your .htaccess file of the addon domain, you can read more on this here:

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Naval Design, My problem is that I already have the add on domains which appear in the SE along with the sub domains so it appears as if there are 2 web sites with the same content.

Hi Sarah I will check it out and let you know how it goes.

Dominique
        www.yourpower2be.com

Comment

Oh Dear,
          I have gone into my site and there is only one.htaccess file which is, I presume for my main site and that is empty.

I have looked at the code which is this- 'redirect301/old/old.htm http:www.you.com/new htm'

As I am trying to redirect a whole site which is I believe an add on to the sub which is where I want it to appear, would I put the code as - 'redirect301/mysecondsite.com/index.htm http:www.mysecondsite.mysite.com/new htm

Sorry to be a pain but I really have to get this right.

Thanks Dominique
          www.yourpower2be.com

Comment

'redirect301/mysecondsite.com/index.htm http:www.mysecondsite.mysite.com/new htm i beleive it is correct, replacing "new" with the actual page name (which is probably also "index" and ofcourse html instead of htm if your pages are html. Alos, you need to modify the .htacces file which is in your addon domain folder, not the one in your public_html
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

High Navaldesign, Thank you for your quick reply.

I have looked in the folders and there is not an htaccess file there. There is only one, which is for the main website, there is nothing written in that one, it is blank.

Do I need to create a new one?

Regards Dominique
              www.yourpower2be.com

Comment

Originally posted by dominique
                High Navaldesign, Thank you for your quick reply.

I have looked in the folders and there is not an htaccess file there. There is only one, which is for the main website, there is nothing written in that one, it is blank.

Do I need to create a new one?

Regards Dominique
                Yes, i beleive so
                Navaldesign

Comment

Hi, I was afraid that was the case. Wish me luck I am going in.

Dominique
                  www.yourpower2be.com

Comment

Oh dear, I am pretty sure that I have followed the directions but when I put the redirect .htaccess in the folder I got a 500 error. When you save the file, should it be RTF, plain text or all files or does it not matter.

I am now totally confused.

Dominique
                    www.yourpower2be.com

Comment

Open a new page in Notepad. Enter the code, go to File, Save as, select File Type: All files, and save it as "txt.htaccess". Upload it on the server, in your addon domain folder, using either FTP or File Manager..
                      Now, while you are still connected with FTP or File Manager, rename the file from "txt.htacceess" to ".htaccess", deleteing the "txt" part.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                      X