• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Machiavelli
    Sergeant Major

• Aug 2006

New Domain and Hosting

I currently have 1 domain and a hosting account with voda.

I want to buy 1 more new domain name.

Is the only additional cost the price of the domain? I don't need to buy ant additional hosting do I?

What about the CPanel for it, would it be the same as one I already have?
    http://www.myworldsouthamerica.com
    http://www.ethicalasia.com
  • bill2006
    Lieutenant General

• May 2006

Re: New Domain and Hosting

You can use the same VH account for your new domain.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

• Rob (SA)
      Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Hi folks,

I hope I am in the right place to raise this question.

I have recently built up a website and whilst I am still in a process of construction using BV, I need to know the following:

1. I have another registered domain, not with BLueVoda and would like to get my website to work there without having to rebuild from the start.

2.What process would I follow to get this done . If it can be done.

Regards
      Rob
      Kind Regards
      Rob
      www.gnjgf.co.za
      www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• navaldesign
        General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

It can be done.
        Step 1. Add the new domain in your account as addon domain
        Step 2. If you have the html files on your computer, simply use FTP to upload the files on your addon domain folder. Also upload all images, and auxiliary files: .js files, .css files, etc.

If you don't have the html files on your computer, connect to that site, download ALL html files and images, auxiliary files etc, then upload them in your VH addon domain folder.
        Step 3. Change the DNS to point to your VH account.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Rob (SA)
          Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Hi Naval,

Thanks for your reply.

First things first.

If I go to FTP manager and create a folder /public_html/gnjgf and upload the files from /public_html will it create the addon on domain of www.gnjgf.co.za

What I am trying to do is replace the content that is currently veiwed at that site above with what you can now see at www.oryan-projects.com

That is without going first to oryan-projects.com

I hope this doesnt muddle matters.

Regards
          Rob
          Kind Regards
          Rob
          www.gnjgf.co.za
          www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• Dream Lady
            Major General

• Feb 2006

Hey Rob: Another idea is to redirect instead of recreate. I have done this on several sites. Let's see if I can explain it assuming you have added www.gnjgf.co.za as an add on domain.

1. Go to your cpanel and access your add on domain www.gnjgf.co.za Down at the bottom select this domain and press the button that says setup redirection.
            2. On the next page input the domain www.oryan-projects.com.

That way anyone who types in their url www.gnjgf.co.za will automatically go to www.oryan-projects.com.

Not sure if this is what you are looking to do, but I found this to be an easy way without having to upload files or recreate.
            Cindy Smentowski

Comment

• Rob (SA)
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Hi Dream Lady,

www.oryan-projects.com is hosted by VH and the www.gnjgf.co.ca is already registered on another server.

Your idea is a possibility, it is just that I dont want them to redirect to www.oryan-projects.com later as this is to be my main bussiness site and next website that i will develop.

Should a person choose www.gnjgf.co.za they must go there and see the contents of what I currently have in www.oryan-projects.com. Thgis would in effect mean I have to move files either to an addon or another server.

I hear the later is not an option.

Regards
              ROb
              Kind Regards
              Rob
              www.gnjgf.co.za
              www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Create the addon domain from your CP, (it's not a simple folder). Then move the files, into this folder, go to the other hoster's CP and change the DNS to point to your VH account.
                I don't know if .co.za domains can be transferred or not (i think not) however, by pointing you have the same effect., the only difference being that you will need to renew the domain name registration with the company you had registered it at the first time.
                Navaldesign
                Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Rob (SA)
                  Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Thanks "Naval",

I will try that.

What is the reason for renewing the domain name registration?

Regards
                  Rob
                  Kind Regards
                  Rob
                  www.gnjgf.co.za
                  www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

When it expires, after a year (or two, depending on what you have asked for when you registerd it) you need to renew it. There will be a fee (for VH it is $19.95 / year) that you have to pay every year.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

• Rob (SA)
                      Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Thanks "Naval"

SO then if I understand you correctly - If this domain of www.gnjgf.com was registered this year and it is an annual purchase - then renewal is not necessary, now.

Only once the expiry date arrives is it renewalable.

I think the www.gnjgf.co.za might already be a redirect - is there a way of determining this?

I sure keep you guys busy.

Regards
                      Rob
                      Kind Regards
                      Rob
                      www.gnjgf.co.za
                      www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

To be 100% sure, only by going in the CP of your registrar. There, you can see if a redirect is set for this domain. However, i can see a www.gnjgf.com/index.htm page, so i think there is no redirect.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

• Rob (SA)
                          Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

HI"Naval"

When creating and addon domain - are there costs involved?

Am I correct in believing that when a person types in www.gnjgf.co.za they will go direct to that domain without going to www.oryan-projects?
                          I dont want to sound crazy but would hate to do all this work and it not work.

My second question.

In uploading all the files to the addon domain do I have to load individualy or is there a facility to upload the files as a group.

regards
                          Rob
                          Kind Regards
                          Rob
                          www.gnjgf.co.za
                          www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

When creating and addon domain - are there costs involved?

No costs on VH side. Ofcourse, you will have the charge for registering this domain (i beleive you have already paid for that) and the annual cost for renewing it (VH charges $19.95 / year for domain renewals, i don't know where you have registered www.gnjgf.co.za and how much they charge)

Am I correct in believing that when a person types in www.gnjgf.co.za they will go direct to that domain without going to www.oryan-projects?
                            I dont want to sound crazy but would hate to do all this work and it not work.
                            Yes, they will go straight to your addon domain.

My second question.

In uploading all the files to the addon domain do I have to load individualy or is there a facility to upload the files as a group.
                            If you already have the files, you can use FTP to upload all the files in one block

What about your DB system, if i may ask ?
                            Navaldesign

Comment

• Rob (SA)
                              Lieutenant Colonel

• Nov 2006

Hi "Naval"

Thanks for that info.

I have not given up the idea of the DB system and I do have to set it up that it is functional to our needs.

I would welcome your thoughts as to how this can be approached and what that might cost us.

Regards
                              Rob
                              Kind Regards
                              Rob
                              www.gnjgf.co.za
                              www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

Working...
                              X