• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dori
    Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

Switching main domain name

Hi folks,

I have just purchased a new domain name and want to double check before I do anything. I would like to take this new domain name and make it my main domain, turning my main domain that I have now into a parked domain. Can this be done?
    Thanks
    Naturally Yours,
    Dori
    www.earthelixirs.com
    www.earthelixirsinc.com
    www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
    www.virtualdesigndiva.com
    www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com
  • navaldesign
    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Re: Switching main domain name

Yes, by submitting a support ticket to VH. I beleive there will be a fee for this.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Bethers
      Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

And, realize, this means your site will be brand new to all the se's - anything you've gained and traffic they may be sending - will come to a halt - and you'll be starting from scratch.

So, if you're still new enough that this doesn't matter - go for it.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Dori
        Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

Thank you both, Bethers and George! Ouch... I didn't know it would put me back to square one with the SEs.... I don't think that's worth it! Add on it will be...
        Naturally Yours,
        Dori
        www.earthelixirs.com
        www.earthelixirsinc.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Park the new one- and direct it to the one you already have - then you can give out the url if you want - they'll still come to your site.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Dori
            Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

Question Bethers,
            With my parked site will it show up with SEs. Let me explain a little better. My main domain is www.earthelixirsinc.com my new domain is www.mineralmakeupdiva.com I purchased this because having mineralmakeup in the url will help my page ranking when someone searches for mineral makeup. If I park this domain will the SEs see this or just my main site? Does that make sense?
            Thanks!
            Naturally Yours,
            Dori
            www.earthelixirs.com
            www.earthelixirsinc.com

Comment

• fnt
              Captain

• Mar 2006

Can someone explain what parked domains means? how do we park it?
              www.follownotrends.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Truthfully, Dori, if you already are ranking in se's, changind a domain name will not help you - but will set you back. Having the words in the domain name is more important for people to easily remember - not necessarily for se's to rate you better - although it is a MINOR part of their algorhythms when ranking a website.

To make this point - I searched on Google for mineral make-up - here's the results:

The #1 search is for someone with a url: www. janeiredale .com
                (I put spaces in cuz I don't see a reason to give the person a link.

Nowhere in that url is mineral or make-up. Only 3 of the top 10 had the word mineral in it and 1 the word make-up (that's #7 - who you'd think if the url had much importance would be first - as it's url is www. mineralmakeup .net)

You'd be much better off spending time finding out what these sites have done to get to the top of the rankings and emulating the good points - and discovering you can even do better. But remember, one thing they have going for them that you can't do a thing about - is length of time online. That you'll simply have to wait for.

Now, the first thing you need to do - is redo your page description - you entered it like another title. This needs to be a short descriptive sentence or two - not a headline or title. Your skin care page has a description saying it's your home page. The make-up page again shows a title/headline in what should be the description. I didn't look further cuz I hate having multiple windows on one website - and now already had 3 on yours.

Also, you need to go in and make your pages NOT open in new windows - that's going to run more people off your site - and you want them to stay and purchase!

You've got a beautiful site and you're doing lots good with the page and text now (I remember the start - with no text :) ) - it's going to be a matter of time - and working on getting yourself known - and getting inbound links - the term I used above has a lot of competition - but changing your url right now will set you back, not get you there faster.

FNT - a parked domain is one that you purchase but isn't going anywhere. I own lots of domain names that aren't doing anything. You can also purchase a domain name that is similar to your own - and direct it to your own pages. For example, get the .net and .com - build in one and direct the other to the first - that way if someone mistypes they still find you. A case in point - when I got my Moxie Enterprises website, I couldn't get www.moxieenterprises.com - so I built in www.moxie-enter-prises.com - but now, if you click on either - you get my website.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Dori,
                  There's lots of other things I'd like to tell you about your site - send me an email to beth @ moxie-enter-prises.com and I'll reply - you don't have contact info on here - or on your site (and that's a big no-no if you want to make sales - people need to trust you exsit!) - except a form.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• fnt
                    Captain

• Mar 2006

thanks bethers...
                    that makes sense and i might do that redirect stuff in the future..
                    perhaps you or anyone i mean im sure the vodahost knows how to do this in a second...can help me with why this is happening to my new domain?
                    www.3youth.com

I want to start over with the addon stuff. I already purchased the domain name, and i pointed them to the correct server.. now id like to start again, so that when i type in that new domain name it goes there,, now?
                    it works only when i type
                    sakura88 เว็บไซต์ของเราพร้อมเปิดรับนักเดิมพันทุกท่าน เพราะเว็บไซต์ของเราเป็นเว็บไซต์ที่รวมทุกๆควาสนุกที่คุณต้องการไว้ที่เดียว

how can i start all over?
                    thank you
                    ive been stuck for days, Navel has been so kind to offer his help, but i need this done this week for people are going to receive the cd, and the website is essential for sales!! haha.
                    thank you
                    paul
                    www.follownotrends.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

fnt, we're not gonna steal Dori's thread here.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• fnt
                        Captain

• Mar 2006

oh sorry,
                        thanks for jumping over to the other one..
                        thanks,
                        sorry Dori!!
                        www.follownotrends.com

Comment

• Dori
                          Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

You are forgiven fnt.... LOL
                          As always... thank you Bethers. I still have a long way to go on my site. Most of what you said above has been on my list of 'Need to change items'... and they will get changed.

You can email me at dori @ earthelixirs.com and THANK YOU for not giving that Jane woman a link! LOL
                          Naturally Yours,
                          Dori
                          www.earthelixirs.com
                          www.earthelixirsinc.com

Comment

Working...
                          X