• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tinkerbell
    Staff Sergeant

• May 2006

redirecting old site to new site

I'm going to sound really stupid here, in all honestly I don't know how I managed to set up my website because all this website language has got me totally confused.
    I currently have the domain www.top-2-toe.co.uk which I bought a couple of years ago when i knew I would eventually set up a web site. I never got around to doing it until I found bluevoda and realised how easy it could be but couldn't work out how to use my old co.uk domain so i ended up with a new one (.com) I now have www.top-2-toe.com with bluevoda but I would like my co.uk site to redirect to my .com one if anyone goes to my co.uk, I've watched the tutorials and read plenty of threads but I can't work out what I'm supposed to do.
    apologies if I've made it sound very complicated, but it is for me.
    if anyone could help direct me I would be very grateful.
  • dougnez
    Brigadier General

• Aug 2006

Re: redirecting old site to new site

HI... You can addon a domain here at Voda Host through your C-Panel then direct your old domain at your assigned Blue Voda Servers... See C-Panel addon domain tutorial....via the Control Panel button on the bottom of your BV Web Builder... Note.. You will have to redirect from your old domain's present host....Doug

Comment

• Bethers
      Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Wherever you have the original domain name sitting - you simply have to go in and have them do a 301 redirect to your VH server. You do not have to add it as an add-on domain - that's completely separate. The company that it is sitting at will know what needs to be done. Or you can move the name to VH and have the redirect done here also.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• tinkerbell
        Staff Sergeant

• May 2006

Originally posted by Bethers
        Wherever you have the original domain name sitting - you simply have to go in and have them do a 301 redirect to your VH server. You do not have to add it as an add-on domain - that's completely separate. The company that it is sitting at will know what needs to be done. Or you can move the name to VH and have the redirect done here also.
        i haven't a clue what a 301 redirect is.
        The company that it is sitting at, does that mean the company I bought it off?
        how can I move the name to VH and have the redirect done?
        Building the website seemed quite simple, well ok I lie it wasn't that simple, but when it gets to things like this I feel way out of my depth.

Comment

• dougnez
          Brigadier General

• Aug 2006

Tinker.. Bethers is probably better at this... But I beleive that if you go into your account manager at the server/host of the old site... and look around I'm sure you will find the place to direct your old site to the Voda Host servers you have been assigned to... you need those addresses...they are on your Voda Host Order confirmation.. You might consider calling the old site host and telling them to do it for you.. It's easy but a little tricky... Doug

Comment

Working...
          X