• Show
Clear All

• 2nd domain name on same hosting ... does it get lesser traffic

mmm... how to put it clear ?

let say, first open up a hosting using www.no1xx.com ,
    then, build in several folders and different web pages
    and .html pages ...

next, buy a 2nd domain name, say www.no2xx.com to
    forward to one of the folder/index.html or .html page ...

next, while trying generate traffic to www.no2xx.com .
    does it get lesser traffic from the search engine
    since domain no2xx is a "blank" domain name
    purchased later ( maybe from some where else )

concern is, when search engine spider found
    2nd domain name www.no2xx.com,
    there is no content in that page
    until it found it's forwarded page.

also, how does it affect the ranking,
    will it get less ranking ... ... since
    spiders did not get its content at the first match ...
    sigpic
    Best Regards,
    Fox

Re: 2nd domain name on same hosting ... does it get lesser traffic

Not sure I understand the question but here goes,

1) If you have two domains and simply point the first to the second, the first will not get anywhere with the search engines, the second has content so it will.

2) But if you do it this way they both will register,

Two seperate domain names with content on each, put links from 1st domain to second domain. This way the SE will pickup on both.

I do this a lot. Have a few domains that I use as "traffic catchers" if you like, and with Vodahost it's easy to do because you have unlimited domains etc.

All subdomains on my account get equally as good traffic as the main one, providing I'm not just pointing them to a different domain.

Hope this helps
    Paul

Comment

One other thing I just noticed also in your post. It doesn't matter where you buy the domain from, I have several companies that I use, changing the DNS details does not effect the rankings but directing the domain itself from your server does.

Paul

Comment

thank you paul, you understand my intended question correctly,
        of course it help.

when you say , " because you have unlimited domains "
        are those "unlimited domains" free and comes with the hosting service
        or do I have to pay additionally?

what's meaning of "changing the DNS details"
        does "forwarding" domain = "directing the Domain" = "point to another domain" are they all the same, or if there is any different?

i will try to have a hands on to learn about it.

thanks,

cheers,
        fox
        sigpic
        Best Regards,
        Fox

Comment

when you say , " because you have unlimited domains "
          are those "unlimited domains" free and comes with the hosting service
          or do I have to pay additionally?

What I mean here is that you can have unlimited domains hosted on your Vodahost account (look in sub domains in cpanel) You get one free when you sign up to Voda, I buy others at about $8 -$19 a domain. This is the unique feature of vodahost, as many domains as you like as long as you are not selling web space to others, it has to be for your own use.

what's meaning of "changing the DNS details"

When you buy a domain name from any provider you have the option to buy their hosting package, but since you have hosting with Voda you do not need this. So just select the buy domain only. Now we need to transfer the domain to Voda and the easist way to do this is to change the DNS details with the domain provider. When your purchase is complete they will normally provide you with a control panel to administrate the domain. Be careful when buying domains, make sure you get this facility, some smaller companies do not give you a control panel and you have to email them to do the changes, this can take a long while.

In the admin area there will be a section called "Set nameservers" in here you need to change the nameservers to the voda ones, you can see these in your cpanel. Once this is done you simply go to your cpanel and under section "sub domains" you select "add domain" and there you go. Say I had a domain name MYGREATSITE.COM. When I add the domain it will sugest an upload file name of mygreatsite. Now when I come to publish my Bluevoda pages for this domain I make sure the folder says "public_html/mygreatsite. When I upload an index.html page to this it is the home page for my new site.

does "forwarding" domain = "directing the Domain" = "point to another domain" are they all the same, or if there is any different?

I think most of these terms indicate simply redirecting the domain to another. Remember in the last question I said that when you purchased a new domain you were given access to a control panel or admin area, well in there you will also have a section that says "redirect domain" In this case you would leave the DNS as these are and simply redirect to where you want. This is effectively a "parked domain". This is mostly used by people who act as agents or refers for companies products. The company provides a white label website to it's agents say greatproducts-referer1324567 but the agent can't give this out to people because it is too much to remember, so they might buy a catchy domain say "thegreatproducts.com" and redirct the original domain to it.

Regards
          Paul

Comment

thank you, paul
            i will try it out.
            sigpic
            Best Regards,
            Fox

Comment

If you are using 2 or more domains to do the same thing (have the same info) you'll end up losing traffic to all of them - as the search engines will consider them duplicate content UNLESS you are doing one as a redirect - just in case someone puts in that domain name.

If you are using 2 or more domains completely differently - like my pinata store and my children's bedding store - the traffic to one has absolutely nothing to do with the traffic to the other - how they are hosted isn't seen by the se's - they just follow links to the different sites and bring them up where they find them relevant.

(Just throwing in a little bit more info here.)
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

thank you beth,
                i started digging on your whole list of links,
                look like that'll keep me buzy for short while ... ...
                sigpic
                Best Regards,
                Fox

Comment

Working...
                X