• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyEye
    General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Re: domain clarification please

Originally posted by apricotslice View Post
    Correction : 43 different files that all get hit from outside links individually.

Thats too many to do individual redirects for.

Yes, if you do not want to lose those hits to those pages that are deep in the subdirectory then yes, you will want to do redirects, that is if you want them going to the new directory .. otherwise, if you don't, those external links will give an error and you won't want that.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• apricotslice
      Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2006

I've done individual links for about 2/3 of the files, and left the others where they were.

Seems silly that with add-on domains, we cannot redirect an entire directory in a single link. Must be a way to do that.
      http://CircleofAtlantis.com
      http://ApricotMappingService.com

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

I've done individual links for about 2/3 of the files, and left the others where they were.

Seems silly that with add-on domains, we cannot redirect an entire directory in a single link. Must be a way to do that.

.. lol .. you could if you made one link that was a main page for this directory, you could then just direct it to this one page that contained the other links ..

but where you have individual urls, or pages that have external links, all those page urls would need redirection ..

.. you could also move this sub to your other, but then the url would change from one domain to the other ...

I know what you mean though, but if each individual page is being linked externally you don't want to lose that page url .. that is the main purpose, to not kill that link - the page url - for those that are finding you from outside and arriving on your site ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• apricotslice
          Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2006

I wish !

This started out as a games directory for a few files to share with people. I then over time wrote a whole series of guides, each one linked from a different forum thread on the game site. Then I made a home page for it, gave it an in game entity, and made it into something big. All over the course of several years.

I finally gave it a domain name, and thought it would be simple to redirect everything with a single directory link. Oops.

Oh well, the guts of it is re-directed now.

Now to figure out how to move the phpBB forum under the new domain :)

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

I wish !

This started out as a games directory for a few files to share with people. I then over time wrote a whole series of guides, each one linked from a different forum thread on the game site. Then I made a home page for it, gave it an in game entity, and made it into something big. All over the course of several years.

I finally gave it a domain name, and thought it would be simple to redirect everything with a single directory link. Oops.

Oh well, the guts of it is re-directed now.

Now to figure out how to move the phpBB forum under the new domain :)

Well, what a great success story! Awesome for you!

Well, just like you want to move your phpbb forum, you could have with the subdomain, but the individual pages is what you don't want to lose, so they are worth keeping .. :)

Now, be sure you have back up of this forum ..

are you really sure you want to move this? And are you comfortable doing so yourself?

I might rethink this move - why do you think you need it moved?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• apricotslice
              Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2006

I used to be a systems analyst, so close forum, full backup, create new one, reinstall mods and logos, restore backup on new forum, check it out. Leave the old one in place until your satisfied its moved correctly. At least, thats the plan. :) Fortunately, its not a high volume forum, so shouldnt be a problem having it closed for a while.

As to why to move it, circleofatlantis is a spiritual site, while apricotmappingservice is a game site. While there is an overlap in the way I approach things, it makes more sense for the forum to be under its correct domain as well as the main files.

Besides, one of the other forums I have is being considered for having its own add-on domain as well, so the games one is worth experimenting to see if the move is possible. If it is, its likely I'll add a 2nd add-on domain.

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Okay .. you have it covered .. just remember too, your forum, also gets indexed in searches with any possible topic, but like you say, it's not high volume so you will be okay and might as well get things set straight ..

Good for you! It's nice to hear your success, I wish you well!!

You might consider the phpbb3 forum, as the version is now out and updates, etc., for 2 will no longer exist - so you might consider installing 3 now, sounds like you have the know how ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• apricotslice
                  Staff Sergeant

• Apr 2006

Theres just been an update for version 2 as well. I'm not convinced I want to go to 3 yet. When I looked at the specs for the beta, I was thinking it was getting too complex. Still, probably an idea to have another look at it.

Good point about the search engines, I'd forgotten about that. Good reason to leave the old forum there permanently, with posting turned off. Put a banner link on the top of it with the new forum address if I can get that mod to work. Thanks for that :)

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

I think the beta stage is now over ..

I just converted mine from 2 to 3 .. you can have a look here ..

Some great features come along with 3 and of course things will only get better in time with more features added to 3 . .. so might be worth a relook for sure ..

Good Luck with everything, I hope things go smoothly for you!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                    X