• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azim
    Sergeant

• Jul 2007

Purchased a new domain but need help?

Hello,
    i just purchased a new domainn at VodaHost and i need to transfer to my existing server with vodahost. how do i do that.
    Do i need a new server account or something or my existing account can run two domains.
    Please help.
  • LadyEye
    General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Re: Purchased a new domain but need help?

Originally posted by azim View Post
    Hello,
    i just purchased a new domainn at www.vodahostdomains.com and i need to transfer to my existing server with vodahost. how do i do that.
    Do i need a new server account or something or my existing account can run two domains.
    Please help.
    Hi

You can add your new domain name to your existing voda host account.

Go into your control panel and choose "ADD ON DOMAINS" - once you have successfully added your new domain name to your account you will then build a website, as you previously have, but do all of your publishing for this new website to the directory public_html/nameofnewdomain

It is recommended to make yourself a new folder on your computer for this new domain - keep this folder in your Blue Voda files that are found in your My Documents - this will help prevent writing over any files that you perhaps name the same with your main domain (example, index - your new domain also needs an index page).

Just keep things separate - at times you may forget to change the directory that you are publishing to and may overwrite one of your pages on the internet on your main domain - so be careful to check - not to worry if you do so, just republish your proper page again ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• azim
      Sergeant

• Jul 2007

Ladyeye,
      That isnt what i want, I purchade a different domain name.
      I already have a domain with vodahost and a server, but now i purchased a domain name at www.vodahostdomains.com and i want that domain to be added to this server that i already have, Cause i dont wanna purchase an extra server for that domain.

Comment

• larazovich
        General

• Jul 2006

If you purchased a second domain name, you will be using the same server, and the same hosting account.
        What our Lady is reminding you is that you have to be careful to keep all the files you use for the new domain seperate from those you used on the original domain.
        For Instance, I have an original domain, www.sebastopolparty.com and when I build and publish for that site all my files go to my Blue Voda folder.
        Then I got a second seperate domain name, www.raynordescendents.com, so I made a folder under Blue Voda, and I build and published for the Raynordescendents site, all those folders go there. That way I can keep everything seperate.

Your one hosting account can have as many domain names as you want to buy - unlimited.

And this part is important:
        When you publish pages or update on your first domain, your primary site, you publish normally, for instance: to your normal ip number and to public_html
        BUt when you publish to your second domain, your new site, after public_html, you must add the name of your new site, so your new pages will be published to the new domain name.
        LikeLadyEye's example:
        public_html/nameofnewdomain

It is really easy to mix these up, so be careful every time.
        Hope this helped.

Good Luck
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• LadyEye
          General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by azim View Post
          Ladyeye,
          That isnt what i want, I purchade a different domain name.
          I already have a domain with vodahost and a server, but now i purchased a domain name at www.vodahostdomains.com and i want that domain to be added to this server that i already have, Cause i dont wanna purchase an extra server for that domain.

You haven't purchased a server - you have purchased a voda hosting account, which holds unlimited domains - voda host has assigned your account to their servers - which are shared amongst a certain number of people ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• azim
            Sergeant

• Jul 2007

thnxxx a lot you both for helping me, i got it now.. and i have made multiple sites now.
            Good help

Comment

Working...
            X