Add-On Domain and Sub Domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add-On Domain and Sub Domain

Any different between Add on and Sub domain?
    And What are they?

example:
    cocacola. com
    cocacolaclassic. com ( is this called ad on or sub domain?)
    And is it legal to register domain names like this?

Thanks
    Blue

Re: Add-On Domain and Sub Domain

Hey Blue

An add on domain is if you want to start a new site and add it to your current account. You would register the new url and publish it a new folder public_html/newsitename. This means you would have 2 sites on the one account.

A sub-domain I am not too sure what this is.
    Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

A sub domain is anything that appears before your master domain in the URL. IE:
      http://www.wsblue.cocacola.com is a sub domain of http://www.cocacola.com this can be created free of charge in your cpanel.
      Can be handy for some situations like putting different areas of a business into different areas of a website. If it was a store that sold tools, clothes, *****, these could all be made sub domains with also there own email address blue@wsblue.cocacola.com
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
        A sub domain is anything that appears before your master domain in the URL. IE:
        http://www.wsblue.cocacola.com is a sub domain of http://www.cocacola.com this can be created free of charge in your cpanel.
        Can be handy for some situations like putting different areas of a business into different areas of a website. If it was a store that sold tools, clothes, *****, these could all be made sub domains with also there own email address blue@wsblue.cocacola.com
        OK. Thanks

And If I bought several domain names seperately.
        Why do have to create Addon Domain here? :
        Addon Domain Maintenance

Comment

Manly because it’s free & this is the only way to set it up.
          You can have new accounts if you want & place a domain in each one. But it gets a bit expensive.
          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
            Manly because it’s free & this is the only way to set it up.
            You can have new accounts if you want & place a domain in each one. But it gets a bit expensive.

OK. I don't know exactly how to do Addon cause I have only have one domain name hosted by Voda.
            ex.
            Now, I have blue .com ( include hosting with VODA), and
            green .com ( registered only with voda).

When in the near future I want green .com to be hosted. I put this under Addon of blue .com account?

Hope you understnd my question.

Comment

Chris, What happens to the add-on domain if the main domain cease to exist?
              Bless you
              Tom

Comment

I am not sure on that one, would be interesting to know. I can’t think it would stop the add on domain from working as it could create a mass of problems.
                But I would let one of the forums sage’s to confer this..
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Now, I have blue .com ( include hosting with VODA), and
                  green .com ( registered only with voda).

When in the near future I want green .com to be hosted. I put this under Addon of blue .com account?

And How much cheaper will it be?

Comment

You pay for your one yearly hosting account and yearly registration of the 2 domain names. Tom if you choose to remove your initial domain as I have just done you send in a support ticket and Vodahost will reset your account so that your add on domain can now be published under public_html and not a seperate folder. This doesn't erase your pages in the BV web builder so you can always re-instate them at a later date if you choose.

WS Blue yes you do place the add on account under your blue.com account.
                    Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

Tom if you choose to remove your initial domain as I have just done you send in a support ticket and Vodahost will reset your account so that your add on domain can now be published under public_html and not a seperate folder. This doesn't erase your pages in the BV web builder so you can always re-instate them at a later date if you choose.
                      Thank you Phil. Not that I want to close the main domain, it was just a thought and good to know the answer.
                      Bless you
                      Tom

Comment

I want to put another domain, www.nustart.co.nz as an add-on domain to my voda domain which is www.nustartnz.com. As above, put it under add-on damain in cp and it will be in the folder public_html/nustart.co.nz. But what will my URL be?

Comment

You must register nustart.co.nz as a domain. VH can do that for you.

When creating an add-on doamin in the control panel, you will be asked to create a subfolder for your new domain that you will be using as an add-on domain.

As a result the folder structure will be public_html/nustart. (I've used nustart as an example).
                          You will publish your pages to this new folder, including your nustart.co.nz index page. Your url will thus be: www.nustart.co.nz

Good luck.
                          Bless you
                          Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll need first to do a transfer of the domain name.

Comment

Working...
                            X