No announcement yet.

Two domains pointing to one site query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two domains pointing to one site query?

Hi I have built a site that wants 2 domains pointing at the same site. www.brookscommercial.co.uk was the original & works fine. We then purchased www.busheyvans.co.uk & added it to the parked domains area in c panel assuming this would do the trick of entering either one of the above domains, we would get a visitor arriving at only one site.
    Problem is, an add page is showing on the bushey vans link. Any ideas on what wrong?

Cheers.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Re: Two domains pointing to one site query?

G'day Chris,
    I'm fairly new to all this but I'll still make a comment.
    I'm going to be doing exactly the same thing as soon as PayPal completes the transaction to Voda Host that I paid 55 hours ago. :(
    So I'll be watching the advice given to you. If the domain is parked, then it still needs the hosts servers to point to VH name servers, even if you purchased through VH.
    These Advert pages are a real worry. There are so many posts on this forum from people confused and bewildered by these ads appearing on their domain name. It only happens until your pages become visible through the pointing process.
    The one that is showing up at your domain is carrying a virus! I right clicked on the page to view source to see where your domain was being hosted and AVG anti-virus intervened and said a virus was detected and asked if I wanted to isolate/quarantine it. Which I've done. I had the same adverts appearing on ours and same with other forum members.
    Just looking at my Virus Vault and it says the virus is EXPLOIT.
    Cheers,
    Rick

Comment

Hi Rick,
      Must admit I am a little confused with the domain side of things. I have a few domains at http://www.vodahostdomains.com/ which is fine & I can control them ok here & do what ever I like.
      But when you get a domain through Vodabilling, it seems to be in a different place & I don’t seem to have control over where it gets pointed. Maybe I am missing something.?

Cheers.
      PS. I believe yours are even more difficult as they stay resided in you country.
      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

He Chris,
        Just take a look at the Sticky 2nd from top http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/dom...r-website.html it covers exactly what you've done and need.
        cheers again,
        Rick
        PS> Yep com.au domains have to remain on Australian Servers but it isn't any real hassle. Exactly the same pointing is done as if were on VodaHost. Just remembering WHO the registrar is when expiry comes up is about the only hassle :)

Comment

Chris

A couple things

When you order a domain through voda, you go into your vbs billing and can change the domain servers in there. In fact, most times you need to do this yourself if you have not asked support to do this. You then add on the domain in your control panel.

In your control panel you will find a redirect - you can redirect this other domain to whatever domain you want to, provided you are in control of both domains.

Or you can use a redirect script ...
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.nameofdomain.com">

you place this between head tag in page html and you publish up a blank page only ...

Was this your question, lol ... I am thinking it is ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi'ya all,
            There is a part in the c panel called parked domains, which reads

Domain pointers allow you to "point" or "park" additional domain names to your existing hosting account. This will allow users to also reach your website when entering the "parked" or "pointed" domain into their browsers.

I assume this means you can have several domains all going to one site?
            Part 2
            On a few posts by Vodahost it has the named servers as ns1.vodahost.com & ns2.vodahost.com? Do i disregard these posts & use these 2 below as they are the ones that match the IP address. Or is VH servers 1 & 2 universal?
            ns1.voda16.com & ns2.voda16.com

Lady eye! I clicked on every link bar the domain it self looking for way to change where it was pointing. Lol. I have changed it as instructions but i assume it may not change for a few hours?
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I know, it can be confusing in there Chris ... it should change instantly for you if you went into vbs billing, found the servers and changed it to the servers, the servers will be the same servers that his main domain is on ... those are the servers you need ... in this care they are, which you seem to know ...

Name servers:
              ns1.voda16.com
              ns2.voda16.com

yes, you can have several domains going to one site, I have a bit of this going on, and what I did was redirect one of them, then on the next I applied the redirect script - and not to forget it needs to be a blank page that is published for each as index (one would contain the script, and the other that is redirected doesn't need to contain anything) ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

You don't have to do a html redirect. If you add the second domain as an addon domain, there is a redirect option in cpanel that will add a .htaccess script to the directory for the addon domain, it will redirect someone no matter what page they enter

For instance, if you have www.mainsite.com

and you want www.redirect-mainsite.com to redirect to mainsite, if you use the redirect feature in cpanel if you enter www.redirect-mainsite.com/somepage.html it will redirect to www.mainsite.com, meaning someone doesn't have to enter specifically www.redirect-mainsite.com or www.redirect-mainsite.com/index.html to be redirected like it would be required with a html redirect

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thanks Lady/watdaflip.
                  Watdaflip route seemed to be the best for myself. (worked for me) Not sure why the parking bit didnt work. Oh well!

So! For anyone needing this. Its:
                  Cheers.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

The parking bit is just that, a parked page for your domain until you point it to a server - a host ... so that's why that didn't work for you ...

Like I say, I have three domain names pointing to one site ...

One is a published site, the next is redirected via the control panel and the next is redicted via the script in the page html ...

All three go to the same, lol ... that's what worked for me ...

Glad you are sorted ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Maybe the way i read it? But i will now know for the next time.

Cheers.
                      PS.
                      You do relies that if you overtake *****, you may look to be the older one on the forum?
                      We will have to refer to you as LadyEye Sage. LOL
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                        Maybe the way i read it? But i will now know for the next time.

Cheers.
                        PS.
                        You do realize that if you overtake *****, you may look to be the older one on the forum?
                        We will have to refer to you as LadyEye Sage. LOL

You got it Chris .. just don't let it be too long otherwise you forget again, lol ...

Chris, just tied him with my last post, this one now puts me ahead ...

awe .. tis fine how you might refer to me .. oldies are goodies right .. just like urself hee hee ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                        X