Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a sub domain

Hi there,

I know how to create a sub domain (have watch the video).
    But how do I use it? How do I create pages,etc...

Here is my idea: there's the tour business www.nzbrtours.com
    and now I would like to be more specific offering transfers, therefore the idea of a sub domain like : www.aucklandairporttransfers.nzbrtours.com
    Then I would create new pages on this last one. How do I do that with BV?

Cheers,
    N Z B R
    t o u r s
    New Zealand Tours
    Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
    Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
    Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
    Neuseeland Reisen

Re: Using a sub domain

You just create your pages but change the path to where you want to publish them to the subdomain folder, and your sub folder would again have to have an index page

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks
      How do I "change the path to where I want to publish them"?
      and how I "create an index page to my sub domain"?
      N Z B R
      t o u r s
      New Zealand Tours
      Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
      Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Hi, you do everything just the same as you would with your normal site. (including publishing a index page) & publish your pages to public_html/aucklandairporttransfers/
        When you have published your index page, you should be able to reach it via www.aucklandairporttransfers.nzbrtours.com

PS. Remember to create another folder on your home machine to save accidentally overwriting pages from nzbrtours.com that might have the same name.

Good luck.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris

Really slow now if you don't mind lol ...

I start BV and click at "open an existing page"
          the options are: "Images" , "Templates" and all the pages I have of my old site.
          You are saying that I should create a new folder there, ok, I've done it and named it "Sub domain"

New pages that I create I drag to this new folder?
          I create a new "INDEX" page and drag to this folder as well?

Last and I guess the most important question:

Is this a problem for the Search Engines? I mean, I will be using some important keywords right on the new domain (auckland, airport and transfer). My idea is just to be more specific and get the people who ONLY need the transfer and not the tour. Can it be a problem and harm my existing site in terms of ranking,etc..?

Thanks a lot!
          N Z B R
          t o u r s
          New Zealand Tours
          Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
          Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Nz..

Just save as, when you save your page and navigate to that folder. When you publish a box comes up to verify the path you are publishing to. Just change that to your subdomain

As for the SE, no they will still index it, the same as they would a domain, or a page of that domain, and depending on how you do your linking and keywords, can even sort of filter rank between the two.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Karen,

So maybe I could do that for every specific tour. Just got this idea now!
              Because this won't be a problem for the SE, right?

If I have the links and all the necessary stuff for a good rank, are the key words on the domain really going to help or will it be a LOT OF WORK for nothing?
              N Z B R
              t o u r s
              New Zealand Tours
              Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
              Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Hi, worth a read up on sub domains & se’s. Used to be a good thing to do years ago. But if you do a Google search for sub domains & se’s, there are quite a few mixed feelings on them now. I get the impression they are not as recognized as they used to be in the se’s eye’s.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,

So you think I would be better off paying $19.95 and having an entirely new domain (www.aucklandtransfers.com)?
                  I've read some stuff about it as well and if you think about it...everyone would use sub domains with the key words and get lots of specifics about their site and this way rank better. I guess I'm going to the wrong direction and the way to go is to build a new site (?)

Cheers,
                  N Z B R
                  t o u r s
                  New Zealand Tours
                  Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
                  Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

It depends on why you are doing subdomains and other domains, if its a natural offshoot of the main domain, and you arent trying to IMPROVE your rank, by using it, its an entirely different ballgame, If you do it to simply try to trick or beat the SE, yes its going to kill you everytime. There are TONS of stores which are built in one domain and the checkout is on a subdomain or another domain entirely and again it doesnt harm them. Keep in mind the purpose of your attempts at using it.

You are talking about attempts at using SILOING rank, which ive never agreed with its practices entirely, but if you build each as if it were a seperate site, for seperate purposes, you arent in trouble. As Chris mentions, its not good to abuse the system, and it doesnt matter if its subdomains, spammy meta tags, or any other practice that the SE has smartened up on.

A subdomain, is a better choice, than pages with subpages, with more sub pages. If its all related, and a subdomain would better suit it, with its own navigation etc it would still work. No doubt it most likely would work as its OWN domain, but again, keep in mind your purpose.. is it visitor oriented or the SE you want to impress?

Keep in mind technically, even add on domains on a single account are actually SUB domains, even tho you register them with a name holder, they are still subdomains. I wouldnt host two of the SAME store on the same account or server as id technically be competing with myself, or make two different stores selling the exact same products on one server either. One of them will get indexed as the Primary, and one as duplicate content, and then one would do good or the SE could penalize both. Same would hold true for making a traditional subdomain. If you are doing it for the content and links back to the primary to fool the SE, again using duplicate content it would or could harm both sites.

Again, content and your intent is what the difference is. There is no good way to out do the SE or technology, in the end you harm yourself.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                    X