when should i change my domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when should i change my domain

We signed up for BV. We got a fee domain name when we signed up. We already have a published e commerce sight that we will be replacing with our new BV sight. We want to use our old domain name on our new BV sight. My question is should I change our BV domain now while we build our BV site, none of the pages in BV will have the same name as our old sight except the index page, which we wont publish until we are ready to change the DNS to point to our BV site. This would save us time linking our navigation in our new sight as we build the pages. Right now we are linking our menus to our BV domain name pages, and would like to link to what the pages will actually be.

What do you suggest we do?

As long as we don't change the DNS to point to BV, our BV pages with our working sight should not effect our published site. Is this correct?

Thank You for your time,

Re: when should i change my domain

If I am heariing you correctly ..

You are building a website using blue voda.
    You want this website to be your old domain when complete.
    When ready, you want this new blue voda website to overwrite your current ecomm website .. meaning the new blue voda website is what will appear instead of your present ecomm website - on that domain name ..

Is this correct??

If this is correct you can apply your domain name to your blue voda pages and just not publish until you are ready with the complete site ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Why not build the site in BV using your current domain name? Why use a new one at all?
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Ladyeye this is correct. We got a new domain name because of a post we saw in presales by Vodahost. Now we realize that our pages in our BV site will not have the same names (mysite.com/mypages) as our old site do to old tecnology that did not allow us to name the pages. We are building the new BV site using links with the new domain name so we can publish and check that all are working, and would like to use the real links how they will be when we change the domain name. We thought we could change the domain name now in BV, build the site how it will be, then change the DNS to point to BV. We are still selling product on the old site, and we dont want to mess anything up until we are ready to publish the BV site for good. Should we change the domain name now or wait till the site is ready. We would be grateful for any insight you could give on this matter.
        Thank You

Comment

Hi .. you will want to leave your domain and its name right where it is until you finish building your website and ready to publish and go live with the new site.

If you apply the url of your current ecomm site to the linking in making your new site pages in blue voda, you will not be able to publish until you are ready to do business. You can preview each page individually though, and there are free tools in your builder to check your links, I think you can be certain your pages are ready when you hit the publish button if you work and check closely ..
          Regardless if the page names are new or not, you still couldn't publish those because you need your domain with voda host or on it's servers when you go live .. you should consider using the same page names you currently have though if you are doing well with them, sales and search engines.

When you are ready, you could begin a transfer of this domain to voda host, or you could visit your domain registrar account yourself and point this domain to voda servers, add it on in your control panel as an add on domain and publish to its correct directory .. which is public_html for your voda host main domain and public_html/addondomain for the 2nd domain in your voda hosting account ..

Good Luck with your new site!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

And that's exactly what I was saying.

Also - if you are building using BV - you can make all the pages. You can even publish them. When you have it complete - you can simply more the nameservers to your VH account and when the change propagates, you will be moved from the old to the new. At that time you would discontinue the old.

That's how I've been moving my sites and have been moving others as they've been signing up. Very easy.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks to the both of you for your input. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
              X