Domain names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain names

Hi, daveybonar.com here. I have just paid for my second domain name and got the welcome letter. I published my page under it, and when I type it in on the web, an entirely different page comes up. If I need to save it as index, I have already saved another page under my other domain name as index, so I can't replace that one. What do I do?

Re: Domain names

when you type in url the web looks for your the first page in your site, the 'index' page. You will have to name you existing index page something else.

Comment

sorry I think I didn't read your enquiry properly. What index page comes up? Is it the one from from your first domain?

Comment

Hi, have you purchased a 2nd domain that is going on your original account? (2 domains on 1 account)
        Or have you have you purchased a new domain & a new separate account.
        As it will make a slight difference on setting up.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris,
          I do have both domain names on one account, yes.

Comment

Hi, I am not sure how far you have got yet. But these 2 things have to be done 1st.
            http://www.vodahost.com/demowolf/cpanel/cpanel10_x2_addon.html
            & then.
            Go into you Vodahost billing account & point your new domain at your server
            List of servers here. http://www.vodahost.com/login.htm

Might not be able to get back tonight. Times getting on over here. But I will tomorrow, or one of the other will pick up on it if you get stuck.
            But should get you started.

Cheers.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris,
              I have pointed my add-on domain name at my servers, but how do I make two index pages. My first domain name has an index page and it works fine (davebonar.com). If I try to make an index page for daveybonar.com,
              I get the message 'index page already exists'. Do I need to name my index page for daveybonar.com something entirely different? How do I keep it from going to davebonar.com?
              Thanks,
              Davey

Comment

Originally posted by davebonar View Post
                Chris,
                I have pointed my add-on domain name at my servers, but how do I make two index pages. My first domain name has an index page and it works fine (davebonar.com). If I try to make an index page for daveybonar.com,
                I get the message 'index page already exists'. Do I need to name my index page for daveybonar.com something entirely different? How do I keep it from going to davebonar.com?
                Thanks,
                Davey
                Make a new folder in inside your BV file in 'My Documents' and name it whatever your new site is.

Then save your new 'index' page into this folder, then it won't say 'already exists'

Then publish this to your new add-on domain folder.

To do this.

When you create a new addon domain you are asked:

domain name: type this in without the www.
                User name: this will automatically fill for you (remember this name)
                Password: You can use the same password as your main account or make a new one. Personally I suggest the same one for ease of publishing

when you publish any page to your new domain you do this:

Publishing IP: Same as your main account
                User name: Same as your main account
                Password: Same If you kept it the same as before
                Folder: public_html/username (This is where you type the username you were given when adding the domain name.

This is how it also knows where to publish your new pages to.
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by davebonar View Post
                  Do I need to name my index page for daveybonar.com something entirely different? How do I keep it from going to davebonar.com?
                  It is really quite simple (unlike the attempted "solution" above).

When you "Save Page As" you simply first "Create New Folder" (the little icon with the star on the file folder, along top of BV dialog box) and name it whatever your add-on domain name is .... click to open that folder once named, and save your new index therein.

Each domain must have it's own "directory" and that is essentially what these folders are, and how you must organize your web pages. The reason your Main Domain does not have a folder in the BV dialog is because it is the first root directory to present, and each "add-on" is part of the underlying heirarchy.....
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                    It is really quite simple (unlike the attempted "solution" above).

Don't forget though, not everyone's as clever as you, and some people on here, believe it or not, are not as wise to your brief teachings.
                    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                      I did what you said and typed in my new domain name on the web. A page comes up as 'Index of' and then 'Forbidden'. Domain name is 'daveybonar.com'. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate your help!
                      Davey

Comment

O.K., this is exactly what I did....

I went back to my Blue Voda file, opened a new folder and named it daveybonar.com, saved my home page as 'index' in that folder, published. Entered daveybonar.com on my browser and 'Index of' - 'Server at daveybonar.com Port 80' comes up. Am I missing something here?
                        And yes, I have followed the 'add-on domain' tutorial and pointed my add-on damain name (daveybonar.com) to the voda servers. And yes, before I did all this, I purchased the add-on domain name, daveybonar.com, and it was registered.

Thanks,
                        Dave

Comment

Have you published an 'index' page to this domain?

Comment

Yes, I have published the 'index' page that I saved in the 'daveybonar.com' folder.
                            And when I do that, then enter 'davebonar.com' on my browser , which is my ORIGINAL domain name, the home page for 'daveybonar.com' appears, replacing the home page for 'davebonar.com'.
                            Dave

Comment

I think I understand you have davebonar and daveybonar - and one of these is your main domain and the other is an addon domain .. and as I read it appears you know what you are doing in pointing, adding, etc.

But I am not reading that you are publishing to where you need to publish

.. you need to publish one of these to public_html and the other to public_html/nameofaddondomain - I believe your main domain is davebonar that you always had and have added davey (hmmm, lol) - in any case you would publish the davey to public_html/daveybonar

so one will go to public_html
                              and the other to public_html/nameofaddondomain ..

just republish to the correct directory your correct index pages for both ..

If you have problems, go into your public_html directory via your control panel and find the index.html page and delete it - delete this from both directories (folders - each domain has their own - public_html for your main domain and nameoffolder for any addons or subs) .. then publish again to the correct directory for each of these domains ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X