Propagation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propagation Question

I don't know if i am on the correct servor with my site.. and at 10 am EDT i changed the dns - my old host pulled the plug on servors.. anyway..

I published my site to an ip of 74.86.118.24 per my I P address in the BV welcome ltr...

but the dns change this morning was different .. they were ns1.voda23.com - 74.86.247.208 and
    ns2.voda23.com - 74.86.247.209
    neither of which is the same as the first IP, above..

am i ok?? is my web site on the right servor..??
    do i need to republish it to the DNS servors??

thks a lot... mike
    Kindest of Regards,

Just Mike
    www.treetables.com

Re: Urgent delimma

Originally posted by mikejust View Post
    I don't know if i am on the correct servor with my site.. and at 10 am EDT i changed the dns - my old host pulled the plug on servors.. anyway..

I published my site to an ip of 74.86.118.24 per my I P address in the BV welcome ltr...

but the dns change this morning was different .. they were ns1.voda23.com - 74.86.247.208 and
    ns2.voda23.com - 74.86.247.209
    neither of which is the same as the first IP, above..

am i ok?? is my web site on the right servor..??
    do i need to republish it to the DNS servors??

thks a lot... mike
    This is correct Mike, the publishing IP IS different to your server IP's. Panic over
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

thanks Ramsey. I also used your 401 redirect... created the " custom_page ", etc per your instructions.... karen led me to it... not sure how to check it out.. i have bout 1000 pages on the OLD site...and could only get bout 120 pages in the new one till i ran out of time... how do i check out to see it the redirect is working???
      Kindest of Regards,

Just Mike
      www.treetables.com

Comment

thanks Ramsey. I also used your 401 redirect... created the " custom_page ", etc per your instructions.... karen led me to it... not sure how to check it out.. i have bout 1000 pages on the OLD site...and could only get bout 120 pages in the new one till i ran out of time... how do i check out to see it the redirect is working???
        Edit* Sorry misread your post

Are you talking about the 404 page?
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

yep your 404 page.
          probably can't check it out till the dns change finished propagating and i can "see" my new BV web site huh?? just wanting to know that it works..

sorry my head is swimming... will it, redirect folks from the current ranked pages ie cached pages that google ( for example) has for my old site ?
          here is one such google search ..

i am the third web site down (treetables.com) .. question is - as soon as my old host shuts down their servors (which they said they were going to do at 10 am est) will the 404 redirect pick up a customer clicking onto my old cached pages?? all of them? even if they do not exist anymore?? \

karen has been helping me... but she is not availableright now.. i just heard that they have tornado warnings where she lives ..hope she is ok..
          thhanks ramsey... i am just nervous as H___ bout not losing traffic.. it ISmy families income... is why...
          Kindest of Regards,

Just Mike
          www.treetables.com

Comment

yep your 404 page.
            probably can't check it out till the dns change finished propagating and i can "see" my new BV web site huh?? just wanting to know that it works..

sorry my head is swimming... will it, redirect folks from the current ranked pages ie cached pages that google ( for example) has for my old site ?
            here is one such google search ..

i am the third web site down (treetables.com) .. question is - as soon as my old host shuts down their servors (which they said they were going to do at 10 am est) will the 404 redirect pick up a customer clicking onto my old cached pages?? all of them? even if they do not exist anymore?? \

karen has been helping me... but she is not availableright now.. i just heard that they have tornado warnings where she lives ..hope she is ok..
            thhanks ramsey... i am just nervous as H___ bout not losing traffic.. it ISmy families income... is why...
            Not sure about the Tornadoes, but Karen is away today for a small operation anyway.

What the 404 page will do is redirect anyone hitting on a page that either doesn't exist anymore or they have typed a non existant page.

e.g www.ukweddingstore.co.uk/hghghegheghgehgeheg

I recently just completely revamped a client's site and had to chnage every page to a .php extension. Google had over 350 .html pages listed and I was concerned that until they pick up the new pages (which they seem to have now anyway) that my client would lose tons of business. I set up this 404 error page to take them to a page that looked very much like the site and included a link to all his services and my client has reported no drop in enquiries, so it's well worth doing.

You won't however get this to work until your site is properly running through VH, i.e. the domains are pointing to the correct server and your site (or at least your custom 404 page) is published.

Make sure you also put the 'noindex' code in this page too.

Any problems just shout.

Comment

thanks ramsey.. sounds like all is well.. now if my old host just would keep that old serfor running till propagation is complete would be nice... and yes i did put the 'noindex' code.. within the header .. thanks for checking with me on that...
              I forgot,, karen did tell me she had an operation today.. my daughter lives near her and she just now teleponed... they are headed to the basement as there are tornado's spotted at pittsburg ks...
              guess i will try to relax a bit... it's been two weeks of 16 to 24 hr days trying to get this site redone... i am tired... thanks again...
              withhout you and karen and bethers... i'd be dead in the water..

hope i can return the help by helping others soon
              mike
              Kindest of Regards,

Just Mike
              www.treetables.com

Comment

Working...
              X