• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarbonTerry
    Major General

• Oct 2005

New Domain using keyword

Hello,
    Beth has been kind enough to help me but I thought that this would be an excellent time/place to seek additional info.
    A domain name that uses my principal keyword(s) is available.
    I am using xxxxx's for the real domain that I would like to keep private until I make a purchase(s).
    One is www.xxxx-xxxxxx.com the other is www.xxxxxxxxx.biz (same keywords except for the " - " in the .com domain
    Would either have an advantage over the other?
    If I chose to do a redirect and a customer entered "xxxxxxxxxx" would this be seen as a website in the SE listings?
    or, I choose to use the domain as another website.I would have to use similar info on the new site as on the current site. Notice I said similar and not duplicate. Images would have different alt tags and names.
    Can I penalized for "duplicate content"?
    If so, there are many websites (none that I own) that carry myproducts and use content very, very similar to waht I currently use. Am I being penalized for that?
    Thanks
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC
  • LadyEye
    General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Re: New Domain using keyword

eh Terry, Beth's been travelling but recently said she'd be along here soon ..
    I'll give you my personal thoughts, I'd likely choose the - as opposed to the .biz, the worst about it is anyone remembering to use the -, but it's likely better since it's a .com and the se's seem to have no difficulty using - in anything, seems an advantage if there is one .bah on the .biz, lol - if you purchase both and do a redirect, it doesn't mean you'll get a double listing, your redirect doesn't have any content on it, or it shouldn't, but anyone typing in the address bar would be redirected ..
    Duplicate, there is a lot to take into consideration on this, but, I'd aim for 70% new content to avoid duplicate content between your own sites, I'd say you are fine with the fact others are selling the same products, again there is much to consider on this one.
    P.S. your siggie is very long, much longer than it should be, if u can do anything to shorten it up that'd be great, just to stay withi the terms, I at least see one duplicate, and what about these two new ones :(

I don't believe you've seen this thread Terry ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• CarbonTerry
      Major General

• Oct 2005

LadyEye

Thanks for the info about the siggie. I didn't realize that there was a limit to the # of URLs that could be listed. And also for the tip about my promotion!!!

I have not been really clear about my concerns.

When a prospective customer enters my main keyword (or at least one of the most common terms) my site comes up page 4 on Google. It's much higher (usually page 1) on other SE's.
      Still, Google is my concern.
      I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that if I had an URL that was the same as the search term, I would have to be pretty high in the Google returns (eventually)?
      Would a redirect help me then using the new site?

What would constitute "new content"?
      All images would have different alt tags.
      Of course my keywords would be repetitive.
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

yw terry ..

first ..

your archery domain - is it 4 sale? or perhaps the link is incorrect? U need to check ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

While I was looking Terry I noticed that you could add a fair bit more to your page titles and descriptions. Remember, these are the words that tend to get listed on the search pages and need to match up of course, with your page content. Text that is. So, I'll bet you can do a whole lot better than page 4 if u wanted to look into it and apply that logic. Your websites are really really nicely presented Terry, always.
          Having your "Keywords" in your domain name is without a doubt, totally relevant, useful and helpful in terms of your listing. It's always good if the name says it all. I find redirects useful to point to a website that would have the same content, e.g., a .com and a .net extension of the same domain name, or perhaps an old website name and you were going with a fresh new domain name but keeping the website, I would still keep my old domain and redirect ..or sometimes domain names that are close in wording, I'd probably buy both. I cant say that a redirect would help you with the new site, even without seeing the name - reason, because of the - and or the .biz - both are not so common .. but I wouldn't count out other opinions. But it's my thought that a redirect is used to do just that, to redirect from something someone would potentially type in to find your domain, or following a link that has been planted and the site or page has been moved or changed - typing in the - , is also not so common, nor is the .biz .. so I don't think so in this case.
          Well we know that alt tags are used on images to identify them in the case they do not load or can't be seen by some, and well you may or may not have different names for them, you might call a mountain, a mountain, I might call a mountain a hill, however, all within reason, but this isn't going to count or contribute much to your duplicate content. If you did create two websites, you wouldn't use duplicate keywords. Your writings about your product would need to be different, otherwise it would be seen as duplicate, and your keywords should reflect your writings, so no, you wouldn't use duplicate keywords. Images, in fact would be fine, and preferred and a different text description and content is what you would want to do and for certain a different navigation, linking and page naming, then I'd say you would be okay and would not be considered duplicate content. Now, here is something u might think about .. the domain name is not everything, if you cannot get your preferred domain name in a .com extension, you might consider other names and get a .com. You can apply the writings on your website to reflect your content in it's preferred name, even while your domain name is not the exact keywording you are looking for .. yes you can.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• CarbonTerry
            Major General

• Oct 2005

I submitted a support ticket a couple of hours ago. I'm not sure why I am offline. I checked my modernbilling account and I have no outstanding invoices??????
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

• CarbonTerry
              Major General

• Oct 2005

As far as content, my index page for redhawk is the centerpiece of the site. Visitors can reach my index page and then go directly to the page that the photos and the first text link point to. The linked page produces 99% of income from the site.
              I hesitate using precise names as these forum pages can show up in searches eventually.
              Let me ask the question somewhat differently.
              My main keyword(s) are xxxx xxxxx, or xxxxxxxxx.
              Would a site URL xxxx-xxxxx.com or xxxxxxxxx.biz be of any advantage as a redirect for any of the above keyword searches to get to my current URL?
              Sorry if I am being dense about this.
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

My 2 cents?

Avoid any symbol use in any domain that you wish to back up with a site (deem worthy of investment), be it a .COM or otherwise ..... in this instance, it looks like the greater value would be use the hyphenated domain as the re-direct (since it would likely pop as a result based on natural Searches), and the .BIZ could end up being more effective as a Content-rich and "optimized" site, relying on the better build and perfected model (if you really think a .BIZ extension plays into it: it doesn't so much anymore as it did 5 years ago, and proof is the position attained by a .NET in our group without the benefit of having any support from other domains, extensions, or lateral sites).

IMO
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                  Major General

• Oct 2005

Thank you Vasili. I think I will try and redirect the hyphenated domain as a redirect. I can't see any downside other than a few $$$$'s.
                  I could use a slightly different (a word berfore or after) URL and avoid the hyphenated URL and still keep my primary keyword in the URL?
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Heck, Terry....the days of the old domain rules are pretty much shot, with all the fallout from the domain speculators and the consequences still felt today (where they are all snapped up automatically in micro-seconds and stuck in auctions), so if you are in a position where a few bucks is not an issue, then go ahead and get your best available phrase, if possible......tis better than a simple 2-3 words of they are not "natural" combinations, you know?
                    I use a few re-directs and forwarded 1-pagers per each "important" site myself, and am careful to do things by the old school means, but they still add up to the same thing you are facing here.....*******tion vs duplication, and being in "compliance" aqll the while creating the maximum benefit possible just because details are attended to....

The extensions aren't as much of an element in the quation, IF you remember to 'balance' values with construct as I mentioned above: compensate with more perfect builds, deeper (richer) Content, and by the time you're done, the relevance can't be ignored!

IMO

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                      Major General

• Oct 2005

Thanks Vasili.
                      As always your comments are well taken.
                      I cannot see how I could have content on new sites without duplication. My keywords are very precise, niche market terms.
                      Would it still benefit if I used a straight redirect with no content?
                      CarbonTerry
                      Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                      Zone 5 Photo
                      My USMC

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                        Major General

• Oct 2005

A few more thoughts.....
                        the perfect URL for me would be www.asdfghjk.com
                        This site already exists but has nothing to do with my products. It's a completely different area however, it is a perfect match for my main keyword.
                        If I Google " asdfghjk " this website never appears in the search results. How could similar URLs help me if they were just a redirect?
                        CarbonTerry
                        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                        Zone 5 Photo
                        My USMC

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by CarbonTerry View Post
                          Thanks Vasili.
                          As always your comments are well taken.
                          I cannot see how I could have content on new sites without duplication. My keywords are very precise, niche market terms.
                          Would it still benefit if I used a straight redirect with no content?
                          Originally posted by CarbonTerry View Post
                          A few more thoughts.....
                          the perfect URL for me would be www.asdfghjk.com
                          This site already exists but has nothing to do with my products. It's a completely different area however, it is a perfect match for my main keyword.
                          If I Google " asdfghjk " this website never appears in the search results. How could similar URLs help me if they were just a redirect?
                          "NO" and "They can't -- much" Simple re-directs cannot help if they do not have a simple one-page Content base to re-direct from, as that would be "forwarding" and not re-direction!

Only static elements get "read"/cached, and for all intents and purposes, the Page Title is still the most important elment and needs to be present to associate any value or "relevance" to the URL and forward to another URL or "site" .......

There are scripts available to allow the one simple page with limited content to automatically be re-directing after a set time rather than make the visitor physically do it themselves.

You need to make up your mind ..... re-direct or forward, and whether or not your effort is worthy to lock up the availability "prematurely" (get the domain while still available, only to do an auto-direct by script from a one page) or simply forward it and place all your value on the primary site.

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                            Major General

• Oct 2005

Vasili,
                            Thank you for your patience and willingness to answer my questions !!!
                            I think that the "forwarding" concept is my original thought. Buy the domain name(s), add relevant content (small amount?) and then use the script to forward to my established website.
                            woohoo......with your help, I have seen 'The Light."
                            Is there a method (AWstats?) to determine traffic from a "forwarded" URL?

I am still not able to figure out why my main site is so far down the SE results when compared to competitor's. I think that mine is far more optimised than others (of course, I would..duh) Could it be that in my attempt to optmise that I am actually seen as spamming?
                            www.redhawk-archery.com

Thanks
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                              Major General

• Oct 2005

Thanks Vasili,
                              By spamming I meant just throwing in keywords that did not follow a logical sequence and the like.
                              There are other URL's that I have control of that are listed high but these are niche market terms.
                              On any other SE my redhawk website is postioned very high. Usually p1 or p2 that's where I am in a quandary about Google. (me and the rest of the world!!).
                              I am going to purchase a couple of relevant keyword/domain names as forwarders and see if I can detect an increase in my sales.
                              CarbonTerry
                              Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                              Zone 5 Photo
                              My USMC

Comment

Working...
                              X