add on domains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add on domains

I was under the impression that we could host an unlimited number of domains with our hosting package. I asked this before and was directed to videos about how to do an "add on" domain, but I don't want it to look like this: www.grnfreedomteam.com/candidfacts.com

Main domain is grnfreedomteam.com and I want to have my www.candidfacts.com generic domain hosted on the same account so I can do some affiliate marketing. I want to be able to show this in my ads: www.CandidFacts.com/whatever (where "whatever" is the keyword for instance).

Everything seems to have to go through the grnfreedomteam.com domain, even when FTP'ing. Let me know how to work with this, and how to publish any CandidFacts.com thru BlueVoda website builder. No idea how to change the publishing details as everything is tagged to grnfreedomteam.com domain.

Can someone PLEASE provide me with a support phone number?? I am tired of having to try to spell this out, only to be directed to videos that don't answer my concerns. Thanks.

matt

Re: add on domains

An add-on domain does NOT look as you said - it's called an add-on because it is added to your main hosting account - you only have one of those.

So, follow the directions to add-on a domain to your main account - then follow the instructions to publish to it - for example you'd publish the index page of the add-on like this:

public_html/nameofaddondomainhere

If you don't follow the directions to add the domain - yep, it won't publish correctly because you will only have the one domain in the account.

If you look at my signature - both Pinata Palace and A Child's Palace are add-on domains. The se's see them as stand alone sites.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

mahls

I just did an addon domain a few days ago and yes for us newbies it is a little bit confusing! So maybe I can fill in a little between the lines of the tutorials!

First, you will purchase the domain name, (thru VodaHost I assume).

Then, they will send you an email with instructions....but if this is your first time thru, it might be confusing!

You have to login to VodaHost Billing Service,(VBS). The email has their link and it's the same login as you normally use for VBS.
      Don't try to do anything with the addon domain until you get that email so the domain will be in the system...could be just a few hours or less.

When you get to VBS, you need to click the "My Sites" menu. Click on the "My Domains".

Next page will all the domains you have. Click on the new one. On this next page you will see,(on the left), a link named "Change DNS". Click that.

Next page shows a table and at the top of the table are two radio buttons; select "Use the following Name-servers".

Now, erase any entries that are there and type in your two original name servers. You can see those where you go to login to your Cpanel. They have to be exactly as listed in your original domain name email or where you select them to go into your Cpanel.

When you have done that; click "submit changes"

Now, the tutorial covers adding addon domains, into the cpanel very well,
      so go do that now.

Now you are ready to "publish" your index page to the server. A folder has automatically been made for you that is the same as your addon domain name,(without the .com or whatever the dot is). The first page to be "published" you will probably have to add the new folder name to the "where to publish" line, (ie., public_html/yournewdomain(no .com here!)

That's it....except that, for a short time; the only way to see it online is by addressing it as a subdomain, (ie., www.addondomainname.originaldomainname.com!! Don't be concerned about this! A subdomain name is automatically created when you create a new addon domain. (I have no idea why, but it is normal) Soon your new addon domain name will stand alone as you want it to!

Hope I didn't leave too many holes in the proceedure and that it helps you!

Comment

Its very easy to add on domain. go to cpanel scroll down to add on domain ckick on it a another screen will come up where you fill in your add on domain. when you publish your pages public_html/youraddondomain. very simple.
        Joe
        anytime-figurines.com
        sigpicJoe
        Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
        The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

Yes I am trying to do the same thing. If I got this right all I do is purchase another domain name via Vodahost and then go into my current Cpanel and follow the add-on-domain instructions and then publish my new pages to public_html/newaddondomain ? If this is correct please let me know. If it is incorrect please tell me the correct way. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by heinm View Post
            Yes I am trying to do the same thing. If I got this right all I do is purchase another domain name via Vodahost and then go into my current Cpanel and follow the add-on-domain instructions and then publish my new pages to public_html/newaddondomain ? If this is correct please let me know. If it is incorrect please tell me the correct way. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
            CORRECT

However, since the Control Panels have been updated, both in the creation of the add-on and in publishing, you need to add the domain extension as well (".com").
            So in creation, be sure to add the addondomainname.com and when publishing, in the Publish Dialog box: public_html/addondomainname.com
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili,
              That is what I thought also. Upon viewing the tuts for cPanel vX3, I see a different procedure. The X3 tut indicates to create an addon directory without the .com/whatever extension and then goes on to say to publish to public_html/addonname (no .com).
              Am I missing something??
              CarbonTerry
              Semper Fi
              Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
              Zone 5 Photo
              My USMC

Comment

No, Bruddah, maybe it's just me (again). With so many different versions sprinkled across the servers, I have not had the time to pore over each one of them to pinpoint the variables.

The old ones did not and had auto-fill, v.11 requires more manual input and does, so if not one the other I suppose. Same thing for creating sub's and whether or not to fill in the root directory, etc. Wish there was a more universal approach, like grenades! Just toss and duck!
                LOL

Comment

The new CP's automatically populate the root folder with .com or .co.uk at the end of the name, if you leave it like this then as Vasili say's you will need to add .com to the end of your folder name. I personally just remove the .com at the end as i find this easier having been used to publishing so many years without it.
                  Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Actually, I have seen the opposite be true in more cases: with foreign extensions, there is quite a bit of confusion still (not any auto-fill), and invariably I stayed out of most of those issues because my lack of personal experience with things that go "bump in the head."

Whatever. Time to "retire the thread" to be sure.....

Comment

I just published to my second domain and after reading a few posts on here I found that the only way to access the page is to view it by going to www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain.com I am under the understanding that this is normal for awhile...however my question is how long untill it will stand alone as www.seconddomain.com ?

Comment

If its a ad on domain and you added it to add on domains in your cpanel and have the dns pointed to it it will stand alone by itself. If you look in my signature anytime-figurines is the main domain the other 2 are add on domains. The way you have it maindomain/addondomain thats how you do a sub domain.
                        Last edited by jkadin; 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM. Reason: more info
                        sigpicJoe
                        Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
                        The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

Originally posted by heinm View Post
                          I just published to my second domain and after reading a few posts on here I found that the only way to access the page is to view it by going to www.firstdomain.com/seconddomain.com I am under the understanding that this is normal for awhile...however my question is how long untill it will stand alone as www.seconddomain.com ?
                          When publishing to a second domain, make sure you change the folder to read:

public_html/youraddonfoldername (.com) if you didn't remove this when setting up

Then your two domains act as seperate sites.
                          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Have you published an " index " page for candidfacts.com ??
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi
                            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

That's it....except that, for a short time; the only way to see it online is by addressing it as a subdomain, (ie., www.addondomainname.originaldomainname.com!! Don't be concerned about this! A subdomain name is automatically created when you create a new addon domain. (I have no idea why, but it is normal) Soon your new addon domain name will stand alone as you want it to!

Hi

Can anybody tell me how long this should last for... I have checked everything and still only seem to be able to get my second site up when I type in www.addondomainname.originaldomainname.com

Also, if I just type in my addondomain.com I get my original site up!

I have created a folder for the second site and changed the nameservers at ******* (and published a new index page for the second site) so not sure what else to do.

Any help very much appreciated!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X