This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Domain Name transfer

My pleasure Rob. Now, I'm off to try and install Joomla for my new(next) templates and instructional design website.
    Bless you
    Tom

Comment

Hi Rob,
      This one http://www.gnjgf.co.za/index.html looks different than http://www.gnjgf.co.za/

Check your linking, etc.
      Bless you
      Tom

Comment

hi Tom,

Welcome back.

The . . . .index.html is my very first attempts and the later my latest.

Do I have to go back to my first method of working where the front page is called index.html or will this BV do it by itself - talk about confusing me.
        Kind Regards
        Rob
        www.gnjgf.co.za
        www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

I just need to clear up something... Which is your main domain and which is to be your addon domain?
          Bless you
          Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

My domain is www.oryan-projects.com and my addon domain or transfered domain will be www.gnjgf.co.za

I hope this process will work and not create to much confussion
            Kind Regards
            Rob
            www.gnjgf.co.za
            www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

Just realised you have changed to php. Good choice. Just go and delete the index.html using VH's File Manager in the control panel or using the FTP manager in the Tools menu. You cannot have the html and php. That is why you will not see the new updated php pages.

The addon will work great, lol. Should not be confusing. I'm planning to do the same still.
              Bless you
              Tom

Comment

Rob,

Check out this one. http://www.gnjgf.co.za/index.php
                By the way, you have stretch those images in the ad banner. Not good. Same with buttons I think.
                Bless you
                Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

My change from html to php was not done due to knowledge - I wouldnt know the difference.

I achieve the result.

Am I correct in sayiong that these "index files should exsist .I read somewhere taht if you just type in the begining of the site ie ww.gnjgf.co.za you will get directed without having to type www.gnjgf.co.za/index.html

If I publish from here on in ar eyou saying my front page must be called index. I was agin of the impression I could call it anything as long as all other pages are directed to it?
                  Kind Regards
                  Rob
                  www.gnjgf.co.za
                  www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

Rob,

Your home page must always be named index.html
                    All small letter, no spaces, etc. The index page is your main landing page, and yes, it is not necessary to always type the full path to open the page. You have read correctly and the index page will open if you only type www.gnjgf.co.za

Also make sure you are linking correctly to the index page from the other pages.
                    Bless you
                    Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

I guess that if this is the method that must be adopted here - I will have to use what is tried and tested.

I will change the front page to index.php - Based on your encouragement to use php rather than html.

May I ask why the diff and what is the benefit - I see a php file is bigger in size althoughseemingly carrying the same data?

We are somewhat of the topic of domain transfer - I hope I dont get into to much trouble with this - maybe I can delete some of these entries?
                      Kind Regards
                      Rob
                      www.gnjgf.co.za
                      www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

It's OK Rob,

Picture this scenario: You have a menu bar, a footer, a logo, a header. You have them on each and every page.... Now, you want to make changes, say to your menu bar and the footer. With html it means you must do these changes on each and every page, save them and publish all of them again.

With php, you basically have a separate page for the menu bar, a separate one for the footer, separate one for the header/logo. They are called up on your pages by means of coding (you paste and edit in html boxes on all the pages). If you want to make changes to the menu bar, you only update and publish the menu bar page. The changes will automatically reflect on all the other published pages, saving lots of valuable time and money.

See Navaldesign's thread on the php single menu option.
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X