• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sampussycat
    Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Addon Domain Question

I have spent most of today trying to figure out how to add on a second domain. I have searched and searched for the answers but each time I have found an answer I have hit another question/problem. I hope someone can help.
    I have taken my domain out of parked domains and added it to add on domains. The I tried to find out how I point the new domain to vodahost server. Then I read that I need to do this in VBS so have gone there but my new domain isn't showing in there (even though I have had it for quite some time). Then I read that - actually I am not sure where I have been and what I read in what order now and am thoroughly confused. I have tried to find a tutorial too but have had no luck. Can anyone guide me through exactly what I need to do from the very first step please? I would be eternally greatful if someone could help before my head explodes!
    Sam (Samantha not Samuel)

www.spirited-events.com

Purveyors of divine experiences!
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Add on domain - total confusion

Originally posted by sam*****cat View Post
    I have spent most of today trying to figure out how to add on a second domain. I have searched and searched for the answers but each time I have found an answer I have hit another question/problem. I hope someone can help.
    I have taken my domain out of parked domains and added it to add on domains. The I tried to find out how I point the new domain to vodahost server. Then I read that I need to do this in VBS so have gone there but my new domain isn't showing in there (even though I have had it for quite some time). Then I read that - actually I am not sure where I have been and what I read in what order now and am thoroughly confused. I have tried to find a tutorial too but have had no luck. Can anyone guide me through exactly what I need to do from the very first step please? I would be eternally greatful if someone could help before my head explodes!
    Hi, are you sure it's not already pointing to the correct servers, I am presuming you purchased the domain through VH? Can you tell us what the domain is?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi Sam,

You configure your second domain in "CPanel" select "addon domain" and enter the details of your addon domain and redirect to url.

Once you have done that a folder will appear in your "public_html" and a
      Ftp account will also be created automatically.

You will manage your 2nd domain from "public_html/2nddomain/"

Goto this link and read the archives your answers are all there.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• sampussycat
        Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
        Hi, are you sure it's not already pointing to the correct servers, I am presuming you purchased the domain through VH? Can you tell us what the domain is?
        Hi Marincky,
        Yes I purchased through VH Domains. The domain is spirited-events.co.uk
        I went through the process of taking it out of parking and adding to add on domain then tried to publish it having read what I needed to do re: make new folder for new domain in bluevoda folder then when publishing to put in public_html/spirited-events.co.uk but when I try to publish it says there is a 'general exception'. This is when I tried to find out what I had done wrong or not done or whatever.
        Thanks for your help

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• sampussycat
          Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
          Hi Sam,

You configure your second domain in "CPanel" select "addon domain" and enter the details of your addon domain and redirect to url.

Once you have done that a folder will appear in your "public_html" and a
          Ftp account will also be created automatically.

You will manage your 2nd domain from "public_html/2nddomain/"

Goto this link and read the archives your answers are all there.
          Hi Zuiatman,
          I think I have done all of this. I did it yesterday and have spent ages again tryng to do it all again today in case I have done something wrong. I have read everything about how to do it in the archives as you suggested (which I also did yesterday) but must still be doing something wrong. When I try to publish to public_html/spirited-events.co.uk or publlic_html/spirited-events.co.uk/ it won't publish so after reading through again the archives I tried public_html/spirited-events/ and it published but when I type the address into my address bar it's not there! I hope I am making sense to everyone here so that you understand me. I keep thinking I must be doing something really stupid or missing something very basic but because I am now so confused I can't figure out what it is. One question I have is where do I redirect to? I have tried redirecting to http://spirited-events.com and http://spirited-events.co.uk I have even tried adding the www's. I am either being very silly or there is some obvious answer that I am missing.
          Thanks for your help

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi,

Dont get so upset but instead focus on your problem.

I have already told you, to redirect to url in addon domain in cPanel.

Allow a few hours for your data to propogate through the web.

Place the urls as signatures at the bottom of your thread as Google bots and Yahoo Slurp are always harvesting this forum.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• sampussycat
              Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Ok, here's where I'm at now. I have just got back and gone into ftp account maintenance. If I click on the link below my new addon it takes me to my new index page but if I type www.spirited-events.co.uk into the address bar it doesn't. What does this mean? What do I need to do? What have I done wrong or missed out? Thanks to all for your help I feel as though I am getting somewhere now but still not quite where I need to be!
              Thanks so much for all your help, it really is much appreciated

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

Hi Marincky,
                Yes I purchased through VH Domains. The domain is spirited-events.co.uk
                I went through the process of taking it out of parking and adding to add on domain then tried to publish it having read what I needed to do re: make new folder for new domain in bluevoda folder then when publishing to put in public_html/spirited-events.co.uk but when I try to publish it says there is a 'general exception'. This is when I tried to find out what I had done wrong or not done or whatever.
                Thanks for your help
                Sam,

what domain have you used as the main one for this add on... .co.uk or your .com one?

Just noticed you are from Reading. I was born and bred there for 35 years of my life! Nice town
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• sampussycat
                  Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                  Sam,

what domain have you used as the main one for this add on... .co.uk or your .com one?

Just noticed you are from Reading. I was born and bred there for 35 years of my life! Nice town
                  Main one is .com - addon is .co.uk I want this to be a seperate site so from what I can make out addon is the right way to go (if you could let me know I am right here I would appreciate it otherwise I am totally wasting everyones time and doing the wrong thing in the first place!)

So you managed to escape the Reading curse then eh? Haha! I escaped too but was then drawn back. A 'lot' has changed over the last few years but the people are as good as ever

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• Marincky
                    General

• Apr 2006

Main one is .com - addon is .co.uk I want this to be a seperate site so from what I can make out addon is the right way to go (if you could let me know I am right here I would appreciate it otherwise I am totally wasting everyones time and doing the wrong thing in the first place!)

So you managed to escape the Reading curse then eh? Haha! I escaped too but was then drawn back. A 'lot' has changed over the last few years but the people are as good as ever
                    So are you saying you want spirited-events.com to be a totally different site to spirited-events.co.uk with different content?

You never know.. I may have driven you home once!!... I used to drive for Reading Buses

Comment

• sampussycat
                      Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

The content will be primarily the same but aimed at different markets with new .co.uk site aimed at more of a corporate market

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• sampussycat
                        Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hahaha! You probably did drive me home more than once

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• Marincky
                          General

• Apr 2006

The content will be primarily the same but aimed at different markets with new .co.uk site aimed at more of a corporate market
                          Ok, so save reading through some very confusing posts above.. and my tea is starting to burn, so to save me time.. please explain your exact problems.

The site i can see at .com is this all correct?

and have you made a different site but can't see it at the .co.uk?

Have I got your issues correct?

Comment

• sampussycat
                            Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Absolutely correct. Thank goodness someone is understanding my problem

www.spirited-events.com

Comment

• Marincky
                              General

• Apr 2006

Absolutely correct. Thank goodness someone is understanding my problem
                              ok...

First thing to do is go to the control panel from where you purchased your domain from and change the server settings to VH ones

Currently they are:

Name servers:
                              dns1.name-services.com
                              dns2.name-services.com
                              dns3.name-services.com
                              dns4.name-services.com
                              dns5.name-services.com

Back in ten minutes... just having my tea

Comment

Working...
                              X