ADD-On Domain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADD-On Domain ?

I have an add-on domain that displays properly when typed into the address bar. I have added an additional page onto my add-on domain... Example.... add-on domain.com/thankyou.htm....which also shows properly when typed directly into the address bar.
    However
    when I submit my add-on domain/thankyou.htm page to my Auto responder (Aweber) as a subscription based thank you page it shows up as www.maindomain/add-on domain/ThankYou/htm in the address bar.
    This is my first add-on domain and I'm not sure why my auto responder will only direct with the main domain showing in the address bar and/or what I can do about it.
    It looks very unprofessional; as my main domain is a personal blog and my add-on is a business site. Bottom line, I can't have my customers seeing the full address...

Also I noticed when typing my add-on domain name in a search engine, it's showing basically the same thing www.maindomain.com/add-on domain This is something else that will cause me a headache in trying to lure anyone from the search engines to my business page..It just looks BAD! I've heard of forwarding with masking but don't know if that's what I need and don't know how to do it and/or if it hurts with SEO... (which I'm not overly concerned with)

As you can tell I obviously don't know what I'm doing so any help would be (as always) greatly appreciated..........
    THANKS, Brian (committed newbie 4 life)

Re: ADD-On Domain ?

Sounds to me that you have an auto responder problem, a possible folder created in your main domain under your add on domain name and I wonder too about your pages .. are they .html pages .. you need to apply the l to your page names .. I am not sure why when you type in your thank page at awebers auto responder that it would revert to your main domain address .. any more info? are you domains working properly otherwise? You do have some problems there, you don't need to mask .. Is your add on a purchased domain?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks LadyEye... Yes my add-on domain is purchased.... I know I need to change the htm to html and I think my problems lie within my file management.
      Maybe this will help you.... When looking at my File Url in File Manager my add-on url reads
      www.mymaindomainname.com/my add-on domain name/index.html
      so the thank you page follows suit
      www.mymaindomainname.com/my add-on domain name/thankyou.html

I think I really have something out of wack here. This is my first time trying to implement an add-on so I dearly thank you for your patience..
      I can provide you with as much info as you need if this isn't enough....
      THANKS AGAIN!!!
      Brian (committed newbie 4 life)
      Last edited by BKR; 07-01-2008, 06:14 PM. Reason: incorrect

Comment

Ummm ... I am actually thinking you are publishing wrong and even perhaps naming your pages wrong ...

the name of the page should just be thankyou .. now whether or not it is publishing as a .php page because you have made it part of a form or whether it is a .html page .. that's another matter ..

are you publishing this thank you page to

public_html/addondomain ??? and simply calling it thankyou? And have a look at the page properties and see if .php or .html is showing for the thankyou page file extension ... this will also reveal how to find your page ..

????

If you have just created this add on domain and it is not too much work .. I would do the following ....

Go into your control panel, choose add on domains, and delete this add on domain ..

I would then go into my public_html directory and see if there is a folder there that has been created with this add on domain name .. if so delete that ..

log out, go in again .. add on the domain under the icon add on domain ..

come back out, publish up an index page to public_html/addondomain.com (you need to physically type this in the publishing box) then I would check the thank you pages accordingly as well ..

name, save and publish by name only to the folder of the domain ..

public_html is the folder for your main domain

public_html/addondomain is the folder for your add on ...

adding /addondomain after public_html will publish your page to the correct directory - in this case your add on domain ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Lady Eye,
          I will try all the above before posting again.. Even if it means starting all over with my add-on...

Brian

Comment

Lady Eye, I have created the new add-on and deleted the folder as you suggested.... Here is where I'm confused... As per your prior instructions

come back out, publish up an index page to public_html/addondomain.com (you need to physically type this in the publishing box) then I would check the thank you pages accordingly as well ..

You state to physically type this in the publishing box... I'm not using the BV Site builder and am publishing using a FTP software.. So I'm not sure how to create the folder "public_html/addondomain.com" to publish to...
            Once I learn how to create this folder and upload to it, I think it will solve my previous situation.....

THANKS AGAIN
            Brian............

Comment

If you have created your add-on domain properly in the Control Panel (of your account at VH), then this process itself creates the directory, or folder, that you can upload to via FTP directly> it will require you to 'open' the public_HTML/ folder (directory) to reveal the add-on directory that you are trying to load to, which is always inside the "public" (or "main") account directory.

If you did not create the add-on in cP earlier, there would of course BE no directory (folder) to either load into or present (as a destination). Be sure you also point your domain to this new add-on; if you are not pointing/using a domain, then it is not an "add-on" domain you should be creating, but a "sub-domain" (which has it's own process and icon in cPanel to create altogether).
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Ok .. you are publishing to voda host servers though .. and using ftp ...

No worries ..

So you have now added on the domain in your control panel.

So now you ftp up your files, as you would for your main domain, but instead into this new folder that was created when you added on the domain .This new folder is the directory for your add on domain. You will find this folder inside of the public_html folder and it will be the same folder you that was created when you added on your domain .. Just click through into the public_html folder and into the add on domain folder with your files that you will ftp up ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                X