Site Re-Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Re-Direction

I have an existing site with a different host and I am building a new site using BV (which is a great program). and I will have it hosted by VH. My existing site is pretty ****py so I don't want to display it anymore, so I thought the best thing may be to re-direct traffic from the old site to the new one? My question is this...
    1/. Is re-directing easy and will my existing site be hidden?
    2/. Because my existing site is already indexed, will I loose any advantage by re-directing to the new site? (each site has a different domain name)
    3/. If a surfer types in either domain name, will they end up at the new site?

I hope this makes sense. (Newbie)

Thanks for any help
    Glendene
    The Female Zone

Re: Site Re-Direction

Hi, quite likely the easiest way is to point your old domain at your VH server & set up an add on domain in your cpanel & from the same area you set this up at, create a redirection to your new domain.
    This may all be able to be done at your domain provider? But not sure on this part.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks Chris
      The Female Zone

Comment

Please could you give the one?

Comment

Hello glendene,

here is my two cents,

>1/. Is re-directing easy and will my existing site be hidden?
          --- redirecting is EASY, but is that what you need?
          --- I am a little confused my your terms!

--- you say (each site has a different domain name)

--- Where are these domains registered.?
          --- you should be able to redirect them there, if you have access to change the DNS records there.

2/. Because my existing site is already indexed, will I loose any advantage by re-directing to the new site?
          --- a domain name is NOT "indexed" to the host but, to your domain name, so, no problem here....

--- surfers end up going to the host that the DNS records point to....

In my opinion it is safer to have your names at one place and host at another. if your host goes down you can reroute to another host....

hope this helps,
          httpsurfer
          "To share knowledge is to seek immortality" the Dali Lama...

My main website

WikiPedia Web-terminology

Comment

Originally posted by glendene View Post
            I have an existing site with a different host and I am building a new site using BV (which is a great program). and I will have it hosted by VH. My existing site is pretty ****py so I don't want to display it anymore, so I thought the best thing may be to re-direct traffic from the old site to the new one? My question is this...
            1/. Is re-directing easy and will my existing site be hidden?
            2/. Because my existing site is already indexed, will I loose any advantage by re-directing to the new site? (each site has a different domain name)

I hope this makes sense. (Newbie)

Thanks for any help
            Glendene
            Hi Glendene,

My understanding is you are not happy with your old site and wants to build a new site using VodaHost hosting.

First if you are going to use your existing domain, there will be a problem as you cant use the same domain name on 2 hosting accounts.

If you use a new domain name or the same name with a new a address ie., your present domain is "yourdomain.com" then you can buy a new domain name such as ".net, .biz, .org, .yourname etc., then you can just
            place a link from your current website to the new "Url", which allow you the time to create a dream website on your VodaHost server before finally
            linking the 2 sites together.

You can aso hyperlink from anywhere or anypage of your current website
            to the new Url.

My suggestion is to build the new site and let the old domain and hosting
            run its course and expire.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
            X