• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gringoss
    Corporal

• Aug 2008

SubDomains

I have a registered domain (www.communityguilds.org) and would like to add subdomains. Do I have to register these with a domain name registrar to get them to work?

I've created the subdomains using the Control Panel per the instructions, that is, I've added a prefix to the main domain. And I have created pages for the subdomains in Blue Voda and named them www.maindomainname.org/pagename. But I can't get them to work in the browser. Do I have to redirect them in Control Panel? Do I need to change the root path?

What happens in the browser is as follows: If I type in the URL for the main domain and click on the navigation menu that I've created, I can get to the subdomain pages I made, but if I type in the actual subdomain URL manually in the address bar, I get the following type of message... HELP!
    Index of /
    Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at music.communityguilds.org Port 80
  • Gringoss
    Corporal

• Aug 2008

Re: SubDomains

Also... in the navigation menu, I've made the links to the subdomain pages as html and put in the following as a path: www.maindomainname.org/pagename.html. This seems to work. I didn't make the path: www.prefix.maindomainname.org. Should I?

Comment

• karenwms63
      Colonel

• Feb 2008

The path to subdomains are www.subdomain.maindomain.org, and the links to pages in that subdomain would be www.subdomain.maindomain.org/pagename.html

To publish the pages for the subdomain in Blue Voda Builder...you would publish to public_html/subdomain...
      If you don't add the part in red, it will publish as a page to your main domain instead of where you want it to go...

Subdomains are only limited by whatever hosting service you have...

With Vodahost, subdomains are unlimited...and are no added charge...

Keep in mind that you will need an "index" page for the subdomain, also...
      Last edited by karenwms63; 08-06-2008, 11:00 PM. Reason: more info
      Karen Williams
      Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

• davidundalicia
        General

• Mar 2006

Its important that every subsomain has its own index page, otherwise everyone can see/download all of the contents and files..........
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Gringoss
          Corporal

• Aug 2008

Thank you both. I will do as you suggest and see what happens.
          Thanks again!
          Sean

Comment

Working...
          X