• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willows
    Captain

• Nov 2006

Addon domain question

Hi, I have a website set up which is going to expire in 2 months - I am fine with that as don't want this address anymore as setting up a new product which will have a different web address. I don't want to start fresh (from beginning) as believe I lose all of my data by doing this (having reset). I am trying to figure out how do I set up my new website. Customer support suggest to do addon. I am lost about how to do addon because I was under the impression that originalwebaddress was the route. This will be no longer soon. How do I set the new web address in the addon under cpanel. Do I not need to have the originalwebaddress to do this this? Once I do this how do I set up my links? Is it just as normal? I once had a subdomain site so that was www.originalwebaddress/newname.html How do I do my links?
    If anyone is able to explain in step by step instructions for an idiot I would so appreciate it.
    Thank you,

Leanne
  • davidundalicia
    General

• Mar 2006

Re: confused about Addon

Hi willow, havnt seen you around lately.....................

Have a look at the 2 video tutorals which should answer most of your questions.............go here:

Any probs, get back to us here.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• willows
      Captain

• Nov 2006

Hi David, it has been quite some time. Kids keeping me busy plus I am doing all sorts to the house! Fun fun fun, not!
      Hope you have been keeping well.
      Thank you for responding to the question. That link that you have put in will help.
      I think I have been thinking of subdomain not addon so was getting myself confused between the 2. Think I may have got support frustrated!
      I kept thinking that when my original site ran out that it would muck up anything else but that is obviously not the case with addon.
      Anyhow, when I set up my links between the pages, do I do the same as previously ie sitename.com.au/wedding_candles.html or is it something different?
      Thanks again David, Leanne

Comment

• willows
        Captain

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by davidundalicia View Post
        Hi willow, havnt seen you around lately.....................

Have a look at the 2 video tutorals which should answer most of your questions.............go here:

Any probs, get back to us here.
        Hi David, it has been quite some time. Kids keeping me busy plus I am doing all sorts to the house! Fun fun fun, not!
        Hope you have been keeping well.
        Thank you for responding to the question. That link that you have put in will help.
        I think I have been thinking of subdomain not addon so was getting myself confused between the 2. Think I may have got support frustrated!
        I kept thinking that when my original site ran out that it would muck up anything else but that is obviously not the case with addon.
        Anyhow, when I set up my links between the pages, do I do the same as previously ie sitename.com.au/wedding_candles.html or is it something different?
        Thanks again David, Leanne

Comment

• davidundalicia
          General

• Mar 2006

just use

sitename.com/wedding_candles.html

and remember to change your directory when publishing to your new addon site.....

public_html/sitename.com

Everything else that you learnt applies to your new stand alone site.
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi Leanne,

I thought you had posted a similar query sometime ago?

Which is which?

Is your domain name going to expire or your Hosting account going to expire?

If as you said Quote "I am fine with that as I dont want this address anymore."

Which indicates that your Domain name is going to expire in two months!

So what you really want is to shift or migrate your existing website to a new Domain Name.

Am I correct?
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• willows
              Captain

• Nov 2006

just use

and remember to change your directory when publishing to your new addon site.....

public_html/sitename.com

Thanks David.
              I just want to confirm that I understand this correctly.
              The only difference is after I have set up all of my links as per normal, the publish section is the only thing that changes.
              Under the Publish Web Page where it states FOLDER: public_html I will need to add /sitename.com after that section? Am I reading correctly?
              I then publish it.
              And once my main site expires I won't have any issues with this site providing I put the site name after the public_html.
              This is of course after I have added it all into the cpanel/add on section.
              Thanks again, appreciate it.

Leanne

Comment

• davidundalicia
                General

• Mar 2006

zuriatman has a good point Willow......

If you dont want the hassle of what I suggested before
                then you could put in a support ticket and ask them to reset your domain to the new one.............

On the other hand, If you keep it for posible later use (or to practise on)
                then its just like having 2 cupboards in the kitchen......you just open the right cupboard to access the right contents..............lol
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

• willows
                  Captain

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                  Hi Leanne,

I thought you had posted a similar query sometime ago?

Which is which?

Is your domain name going to expire or your Hosting account going to expire?

If as you said Quote "I am fine with that as I dont want this address anymore."

Which indicates that your Domain name is going to expire in two months!

So what you really want is to shift or migrate your existing website to a new Domain Name.

Am I correct?
                  Yes sorry for confusing you. I was confused myself so don't think anything was making sense. It is my domain name that is expiring and I am starting up a whole new product (bored with what I am doing at moment). My old site name does not go with new product but I have learned my lesson about that now. New site name does not actually stipulate product so no problems next time. Since asking this question sometime ago I have got it now. David has answered my questions and think I have finally got it (fingers crossed). Watching the tutorial makes a big difference. I learn things better when I can watch tutorial rather than it just being said, its just the way my brain works lol. I was being lazy and just wanted to pop a different domain name in place of the old but everything would have had to be reset (don't like sound of that - lose all data). So it appears add on is the way to go. Thanks for asking and sorry for repeated question, I just kind of did not get it before! You have got a very good memory. Leanne

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi Leanne,

Quote: "So it appears add on is the way to go"

The answer to the above is NO!

There is no ADD-ON Domain.

Your new domain name that you have to buy will be your main domain [public_html].

You will only have one domain. [Your old domain name will not exists after two weeks]

It is better that you buy the new domain name now and ask VH support to set it up as your public_html and you will have to re-address all your page links to the new domain name.

What I did when I migrate my genealogy website was to Clone all my existing webpages and re-address all the new hyperlinks to the new domain in readiness for the move.

When the new domain name was active I just republished the pages with the new hyperlinks to the new domain.
                    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• willows
                      Captain

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                      Hi Leanne,

Quote: "So it appears add on is the way to go"

The answer to the above is NO!

There is no ADD-ON Domain.

Your new domain name that you have to buy will be your main domain [public_html].

You will only have one domain. [Your old domain name will not exists after two weeks]

It is better that you buy the new domain name now and ask VH support to set it up as your public_html and you will have to re-address all your page links to the new domain name.

What I did when I migrate my genealogy website was to Clone all my existing webpages and re-address all the new hyperlinks to the new domain in readiness for the move.

When the new domain name was active I just republished the pages with the new hyperlinks to the new domain.
                      Zuriatman, are you trying to put me into a mental instituition????
                      When I was discussing this with support they said they could reset as if new (blank) and start all over but would lose all data. They too suggested they I do addon. I don't mind doing it this way because I finally get it! To set it up as my main public html they said it would be like starting new and all data would be lost.
                      Leanne

Comment

• davidundalicia
                        General

• Mar 2006

Willow

If you let your original domain name lapse, then in the future someone else can buy it and put in on another server or repoint its dns......

This means that your account will not have a root domain name to goto....
                        This means that any addon then becomes lost.....

2 options willow.......

1) save any data that you need for later and then get vh to reset your account then your NEW domain name will be your root domain.
                        1 account - 1 domain name

2) renew your original domain name, keep the data but change your index page to "website Expired" or something else....then use the addon techniques......
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Comment

• willows
                          Captain

• Nov 2006

Willow

If you let your original domain name lapse, then in the future someone else can buy it and put in on another server or repoint its dns......

This means that your account will not have a root domain name to goto....
                          This means that any addon then becomes lost.....

2 options willow.......

1) save any data that you need for later and then get vh to reset your account then your NEW domain name will be your root domain.
                          1 account - 1 domain name

2) renew your original domain name, keep the data but change your index page to "website Expired" or something else....then use the addon techniques......
                          I am more lost than ever.
                          I am not getting how to save data and where to save it to in order to avoid losing any of it. Save it to where?
                          When they reset does this mean I lose all folders associated with Blue Voda or just the context ie all with the Blue voda symbol. Do I still get to keep my folders?
                          At the end of the day, I am not bothered about losing the data to do with original site, however I have been creating the new one in there and this is the one that is worrying me.
                          If only they could change the name without adjusting anything else.

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                            Major General

• Oct 2005

You already have all of the data stored on your computer. The data is in your BV pages. You cant lose that info unless you delete the pages. You can also do an account backup and save that on your computer.
                            If you are wanting to completely discard the main domain let Support reset your account and set up the new domain as the principle/public_html entity.
                            Then your new domain will publish to public_html. Then, you can still use the addon option for future websites.

There is no data on your server that you did not put there that cannot be replaced with an account reset.
                            CarbonTerry
                            Semper Fi
                            Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                            Zone 5 Photo
                            My USMC

Comment

• willows
                              Captain

• Nov 2006

just use

public_html/sitename.com

Hi David, I have decided to keep the site using it for my soy candles still and the new one I will do as an add on. I was going to put the soy with my new product but no harm in having 2 sites. Thanks for your advise with add on, I still needed to know this information so thank you :)

Comment

Working...
                              X