Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't figure out subdomain location etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't figure out subdomain location etc.

I have been trying to add a subdomain, archives.sherrycurryphotography.com, but then I don't see where it is. I think I can then use it to have another site {not a Voda site} point to it. Also saw in another post about creating a folder for the subdomains? How? When creating a sub, it gives no choice where it goes and then there is already a file called archive and there's nothing there. What am I doing wrong? And, am I right that I can redirect from another site to a sub? I have images on a stock site that I would like to redirect to a "home" page {the sub} and then back out again to links for galleries. Trying to blend the two together. Maybe I'm way off on this? They say it can be done but I just don't understand. Please help!

Thanks,
    Sherry
    Sherry

http://www.sherrycurryphotography.com/

Re: Can't figure out subdomain location etc.

Theres two ways to do this.. one is simply go to cpanel file manager and create a folder called archives in the domain area

Your link to anything in it would begin with www.mainsite.com/archives/whteverfilename.html

Second way to do it is a subdomain.. cpanel, Subdomain Icon, create the sub domain.. its link will be
    www.archive.mainsite.com/whateverfilename.html

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks Karen. Sorry to take so long to reply. I created a subdomain called archives. What I don't understand is how the index page for a subdomain gets into the right folder. It overwrote my main domain index. I republished the right one but still confused on how this works. It gives me an option when I publish but I didn't know what to enter.

Also, I had created a folder which somehow ended up in the public html folder, but it won't let me delete it or rename it. Is this a glitch with the web builder? It's an empty file. I think I put a new archives folder under the main domain now but when I tried to publish, it just overwrote the other index. Sorry....very new to this! Thanks for any help you or someone else can give me.

Sherry

Comment

i just told you above.. you publish subdomain.maindomain or maindomain/archives

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I'm sorry Karen....it's my first time. Are you saying I type that in somewhere or what?
          Sherry

Comment

I did what you said. Created a sub. Made a folder...maybe in wrong place but I selected the main folder and created one called archives. Then I published the index but if I'm supposed to tell it where to go in that process, it's not clear to me.
            Sherry

Comment

in the publish window.. you choose where to publish and type in the path

public_html/archives/

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Okay that seems a bit clearer. I'll give that a try. Thank you! I know it's hard to deal with complete newbies. I appreciate your time.
                Sherry

Comment

Working...
                X