Add-on domain....sub-domain...what do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bingo little
    Sergeant

• Oct 2008

Add-on domain....sub-domain...what do i need?

I have an existing site which I am going to transfer to my new VH account

I also have a forum (with .net suffix) and a wordpress.com blog

I would like to have the following:

mydomain.com
    mydomain.com/blog
    mydomain.com/forum

How do I go about doing this? I`m not sure really the difference between an add-on domain & a subdomain

I understand (just) how to use Fantastico to install my blog. But how do I install or transfer my existing forum?

Help much appreciated
  • tmvijai
    Sergeant Major

• Apr 2008

Re: Add-on domain....sub-domain...what do i need?

Hello Bingo little,

You can easily accomplish by creating the blog and forum under the main domain inside subdirectories. Fantastico will ask where you want to blog and forum to be installed and you can speicify the /blog or /forum to point the subdirectories and it will install accordingly. I have similar setup on one of my website firsttimecruising.com and have wordpress blog and phpbb forum installed but not using very much.

Add-on domain is for seperate new domain which will have its own directory and you can point any new domain to this add-on domain. LIke your hosting will be under main domain and when you start adding new domains, it will pointed to the add-on domain.

Sub-domains are related to domains and they are usually subdirectory under main domain like test.mydomain.com or blog.mydomain.com if you wanted.

Hope it helps.
    Life is too short, let's make it worth a life time.

Sites hosted with Vodahost,
    www.vijaianand.com
    www.igurus.net
    www.firsttimecruising.com

Signature Rules Apply

Comment

• Bingo little
      Sergeant

• Oct 2008

Re: Add-on domain....sub-domain...what do i need?

Thanks for your reply

I haven`t got past the first step yet which is open a VH account!

I can`t transfer my .eu existing domain name to VH so I have to do some name pointing thingy !!

When I try to create an account I tick the "update name servers with your domain" it says "invalid domain name"

Wow....all I want to do is give these people my money and I`m blocked at the first step

Incredible they don`t make it more simple

Comment

Working...
      X