Question About New Domain Purchased Through Voda Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About New Domain Purchased Through Voda Host

I have been a VH user for several years and purchased a domain through VH and have a C panel (file manager) etc. I now need a new domain. If I purchase a new domain from a separate source like ******* and point the servers to VH and my current account - will I get a new or separate C panel (file manager) or will the new domain (once I point to VH servers) be found on the existing c panel but just listed under the new domain? I'm a little confused about this?

Also, if I purchase or set up a new hosting account with VH (and I'm assuming get the free domain with the new account) will I then have a totally new C panel or be on the existing one with a different domain?

Which way is preferrable or are there any advantages with doing it one way or another?

Thanks - Bob M
  • zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Re: Question About New Domain Purchased Through Voda Host

The most preferable is to buy your new domain name from Voda Host for ease of mantainence and renewal.

The little extra you pay is really neglible.

Your current hosting account with Voda Host can be used for as many add-on domain as you like, so why buy a new hosting account.

I noticed that a lot of clients who had pointed their domain to VH servers eventually transfer them to VH.

It is entirely up to you to make a final decision.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Thanks for the input. One more quick question. I have used add on domains before (I purchased the domain from ******* and pointed the servers to VH) but I always end up with the following:

www.olddomain.com/newdomain/

what I'd like to end up with is:

www.newdomain.com without reference to the old domain when the url for the site comes up.

Hope that makes sense - but I need to be able to use the new url without reference to the old URL - since I'm doing a totally different project. Can I do that using the same hosting account and same C panel as I already have or do I need a new hosting account to do that?

Thanks again for your help - Bob M

Comment

• Collectors-info
        General

• Feb 2006

Can only imagine you haven't pointed the domain at your server correctly.
        The domain you purchase should be the one you see.
        Can you give the example of the domains you have purchased.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Sorry to pester you about this but I really do appreciate your suggestions.

I think you are right in that I do not fully understand how to correctly do an add on domain. My domain purchased through VH is:

www.incsource101.com

This is the domain for which my inital C panel was set up for.

I purchased a new domain through ******* which is www.llcsource.com

and redirected the servers and thought I did a proper add on domain but the following is what I get:

What I'd like to get is www.llcsource.com

without the incsource101 or the index.html. I'm not sure how to do that.

Another question is - does it cost extra to transfer a domain to VH verses just pointing servers to VH?

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks - Bob M.

Comment

• WSBlue
            Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

There is no way you get something else, you buy this www.llcsource.com , you also get this www.llcsource.com.
            And after you create a new page in this domain www.llcsource.com ex. our_products, your new page in this domain www.llcsource.com will be www.llcsource.com/our_products.html or php

Comment

• navaldesign
              General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Hmmm...
              There has been a bit of confusion here..

The new domain will appear as independent domain ONLY AFTER you add it as addon domain in your existing account and AFTER you point the DNS (nameservers) to your VH account. It will then be available through the net as www.llcsource.com
              You will NOT have a separate cpanel, as each hosting account only has one.

If you do get another hosting account, then you get a free (for the first year) domain name, and ofcourse a brandnew control panel, related to the new accouny.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Is there any particular advantage to getting a new hosting account with a new domain?

Also - I know you are suppose to name your home page index. If I want the home page of the new domain to be: www.llcsource.com so that it shows up in the url that is seen publicly then how do I avoid getting www.llcsource.com/index.html with the index added in ???

Again - I very much appreciate the suggestions. I've been using VH for several years but never quite understood this issue.

Bob M

Comment

• mrmagoo144
                  Brigadier General

• Feb 2007

the first thing you have to do is set up a file folder in your documents/blue voda as llcsource.
                  then you have to add on this domain to your present account in cp. watch the tutorials very carefully so you are doing it correctly.
                  then you have to build your first page for this domain and you save it as index in the folder that you have created for this domain. no matter how many domains you have, you must have a folder for each domain in your documents/blue voda folder.
                  now you have built your page index and saved it that way, you would publish this page in public_html/llcsource.com
                  now that you have the page published you go to where you have purchased your domain name and point the dns servers to your voda host account. you should have received this information with your login letter from blue voda.
                  all should work fine now. every page you build under llcsource.com must be saved in the correct folder as above and the /llcsource.com must be at the extension of public_html when pulblishing it.

hope this helps you out.
                  mrmagoo144
                  www.videopostcards.info

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

There is no reason to purchase a separate account if the sites are both yours.

The second site has a dedicated folder in your hosting account. This folder is automatically created when you add the new domain as add on. Usuallly it has the same name as the domain.

You can, in exactly the same way, create a subfolder of your BlueVoda folder, in your computer, for the new doamin, and store the "index" page for the new site as well as all other pages in this new folder. When you publish, you will need to publish in "public_html/newdomainname"
                    Navaldesign
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm a little slow but I'm beginning to understand better.

Comment

There is no reason to purchase a separate account if the sites are both yours.

The second site has a dedicated folder in your hosting account. This folder is automatically created when you add the new domain as add on. Usuallly it has the same name as the domain.

You can, in exactly the same way, create a subfolder of your BlueVoda folder, in your computer, for the new doamin, and store the "index" page for the new site as well as all other pages in this new folder. When you publish, you will need to publish in "public_html/newdomainname"

Will this procedure allow me to have my home page without the url containing the word "index" in it?

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Yes
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Sorry to keep asking questions but I did have one more. The reason I contemplated a new hosting account was that it seems my old one is muddled up with a lot of stuff on it which I added when I didn't know anything about what I was doing. I thought it might be best to start a new project with a new account.

With that said, If I decided to start my new project with my old or current VH hosting account, and then later decided I wanted the new project on a separate VH hosting account to avoid confusion, is it possible to transfer the new project (hosting account files) to a new VH account or is that getting into something which creates more problems than its worth.

Thanks - Bob M

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

If in teh future you decide to get a new hosting account, you can simply publish all pages in the new account, and change the domain DNSs to point to the new account.

Please note that if you have some Database driven scripts that make use of databases, you will need some more work to transfer the DB content and modify some of the configuration files to reflect the new account settings.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X