This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Forwarding from another registrar

I own a domain with a different registrar (Register.com) and want to forward the domain to my current vodahost site. Now what I have done MANY times in the past with other hosting companies and also with my dayjob as a Network and Security Engineer (and it is pretty straight forward) is just point the domain that I want to forward to the IP address of the site. When I do that now and try to access the site I get a page that says:

Great Success !
    Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server

Now of course for an extra $50 thru register.com I can do a forward right to the domain name without issue but in all honesty I should not have to do this. All I should have to do it point the domain name to the IP address of my site and it "should" work as I have ALWAYS done in the past.

Is there is something I am doing wrong? Is there a way to just forward my register.com domain the IP address of my Vodahost site without paying the extra $50? Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated....

Re: Domain Forwarding from another registrar

Apparently you have purchased a hosting account from VodaHost ... how long ago? Do you yet have a Welcome email with all your Logon details and all the info needed to manage your account? (If not, this would indicate you account is still being established and your efforts were premature).

It is helpful to know if this same domain has been listed as Primary Domain to your account when you purchased hosting, as there are some necessary steps that you must undertake in addition prior to total function being enabled.

This is why in these Forums we have an established format to posting when asking for assistance .... this way we can remain efficient and unencumbered.
    How to ask for assistance

It is suggested that you always change the Nameserver entries on a domain rather than forward it .... there is so much valued status lost via forwarding rather than an established hosting path. No one should charge extra for making these DNS entries, and if they do, run! Your Nameserver info is also detailed in your Welcome email, and the Tutorials to do this yourself are very easy to follow.
    Nameserver and DNS Tutorials
    How to change your name servers (DNS) at various popular registries. Including GO Dadddy, Network Solutions and VodaHost Domains.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

In a nutshell I basically "inherited" this site from another member who left the group so I do not have any type of welcome emails that would have came with this account. I got the login info from the past member and changed all of the billing info as well as all of the passwords on the account.

I have been doing this for years and normally I just create 2 A records, one for @ and one for www and then type in the IP address of the site that I want these to go to. So no i should not have to pay anything extra for this. Now when I do an nslookup for the current site I get the ip of 67.228.244.194. Now i should be able to just point the 2 A records (@ and www) of the other 2 domains to that IP and get the site to come up but instead I get the Apache/Cpanel page instead of the normal web page. That tells me that there is some sort of redirection going on thru Vodahost.

So do I need to repoint the DNS for these 2 domains from their current Register.com dns servers to the Vodahost DNS servers? If so which DNS servers should I use?

But does my logic still work of just pointing the @ and www A records for these 2 domains to the 67.228.244.194 IP address that any DNS resolver out there (as well as Vodahost) is telling me that my site points to?

Comment

You will need to learn how things work here to be able to work effectively, and be able to work within the established manner and protocols to enjoy the predictable results. Stating a domain name or client ID to validate initial posts is one of them.

Since this is a new Domain to be associated with an established hosting account, you will need to access the Control Panel and create an Add-On domain, so there is in fact a directory for any web pages to reside on the server in the account assigned. This is a requirement apart from any previous habituated practices you may have learned. Fortunately, as mentioned earlier, there are detailed Tutorials to explain every process and step regarding your Control Panel, Hosting, the Blue Voda Website Builder, and other aspects not mentioned here.
        1. Create Add-On Domain in cP for new domain
        2. Reset DNS at Register.com for domain to assigned IP per List
        3. Become familiar with the resources VodaHost provides, and the locations of ready assistance

How To Create an Add-On Domain To Your Account
        DNS, Nameserver, IP Assignments
        All Control Panel Tutorials

Complete Tutorial Library

Comment

Comment

Working...